Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 17th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosproline157 View Post
New playboy showed up today. Guess what is featured in it?!?!?!? Neil according to playboy you should have paid $97k. 20% tip is only the norm in the food service industry.
Ever heard of a thing called "options"? Your not going to find any for $97k. That would be base model without all the fancy doodads like chronograph and launch control or the nifty 14 way adjustable leather seats. The sticker was $112,335.00. And also I had to pay this really ridiculous thing called tax and licenses and that came out to like $9k something. I know ridiculous right. Also since this model just came out, none of the dealers are giving discounts since its the hottest thing they got. How do I know? Well I asked, and he said "I can't because if you don't buy it, someone later today will". Now what was I suppost to do then? BTW, when was the last time you bought a new car?

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2012, 07:47 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

$112k is actually really cheap for a launch car. Most of the ones on the lot were ~$120k (well one was $109k). Looks 10x better in person. I am betting I can get 6-8% off on an order, but no way I am paying more for the S.

Old February 17th, 2012, 08:32 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Porsche vs Gallardo in eyes catching contest, and Porsche won ?
Not in my book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2012, 08:43 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

How could tax and license be 9k on a 112k car? Cali sales tax is 9.75.

The only reason anyone cares about over the Audi/gallardo is its new. As soon as something new comes out it will go back to being ubiquitous in Los Angeles. I saw a mclaren today on Santa Monica. It was a rare grey color. I wouldn't mind that car.
Old February 17th, 2012, 08:48 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
How could tax and license be 9k on a 112k car? Cali sales tax is 9.75.

The only reason anyone cares about over the Audi/gallardo is its new. As soon as something new comes out it will go back to being ubiquitous in Los Angeles. I saw a mclaren today on Santa Monica. It was a rare grey color. I wouldn't mind that car.
Mmmmm Mclaren...
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old February 17th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I also paid 2k extra for the four year wheel and tire insurance. If I get a nail or if the rim gets dented from a pothole, they'll replace the tire/rim. These tires are very expensive.

------ Follow up post added February 17th, 2012 05:50 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
$112k is actually really cheap for a launch car. Most of the ones on the lot were ~$120k (well one was $109k). Looks 10x better in person. I am betting I can get 6-8% off on an order, but no way I am paying more for the S.

You only get 350 horsepower with the regular carrera. Plus a lot of other options don't come with it unless you get the S.

Robert Deniro
Old February 17th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Guys,

Really don't get into these random threads that much.........but we are taking about a 911 here.

-----------

I am the original owner of a 1993 911 RS America. 701 produced. Black. Not a rare color (my RS only came in 5 colors).......BUT a very Rare car.

I am totally into all Porsche History and racing heritage. Have been a fan of Porsche since before I knew what Porsche was. Had a little green 911 matchbox car that would win the races on my bedroom rug. I knew I would own one someday. The more I learned about Porsche.....the more I feel in love.

Waited......waited........saved.....saved......... .finally bought the right one - an awesome car that still excites me almost 20 years later - EVERY time I drive it.

RS America is a limited version of the Carrara 2. Lighter. Faster. Better. Research it if interested........I have tweeked my car over the years. It is very quick. And I know how to drive it. And I have taken schools on the track, and done a ton of autocrossing. Lets just say........If Neal knows how to drive......he could beat me with his new tech. If he is a causal driver......I would pull away My car Sounds awesome (especially with the air cooled engine). Pure sports car.

I would take an RS America over the new 991. My car you have to DRIVE. It is before Computers and technology did everything for you. But that is just me being Old School. The 991 is a fantastic machine. I would have held out for the Manual, without question.

--------------

People in the Porsche club who know the cars and history and heritage are just an awesome group. But I got to say......I am not a big fan of people that just buy them and drive them because they think they are a status symbol.......or want the image.

NEAL - I hope you understand the heritage and history what you are lucky enough to drive.

-----------------

The 991 will have to grow on me. It is grown too BIG to feel the way I think a 911 should. When you stoop low, and look at the front.......the profile flattens and loses some identity. You can't even see the engine anymore. Guess you can't work on anything without dropping the engine out from the car. While a big car, I feel that the center console is huge and makes the driver and passenger feel more cramped.

If I was looking at a new Porsche now, I would seriously look at the Caymen S - with its fabulous balance, far cheaper price, and useful trunk front and rear. While I have always had the love for the 911.......I am wondering if it starting to lose something.

Yet from all the posts.......it seems Neal's reason to buy the Porsche, is very different then mine.

Granted - the car will serve both our purposes

FLAGG
Old February 17th, 2012, 11:38 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Well said, Flagg...

97 D90 SW
Old February 17th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
I also paid 2k extra for the four year wheel and tire insurance. If I get a nail or if the rim gets dented from a pothole, they'll replace the tire/rim. These tires are very expensive.
You'll be happy you did that. I hesitated when I bought my '09 Cayenne TTS, but you cannot plug/repair N-code tires and with mounting and road-force balancing you're looking at around $450 each. Not to mention that every time you come within a RCH of a curb odds are that it will somehow scuff the rim.
I've gone through (I think) 6 tires and 2 rims on this warranty. Do the math (I'm WAAAY ahead).

HINT: if you go in for service before the tire is 50% spent and tell then that you hava slow leak, they are obligated to put a new tire on there. Furthermore, if Pirelli discontinues a tread pattern or series (as in N-0 vs. N-1) they may have to install all four tires so they are a matched set.

I can't believe they haven't put more restrictions on this warranty (maybe they have since early 2010).

Oh and about the price discrepancy mentioned before. Anyone who has every owned a Porsche knows it's like walking into a gourmet steak house. You pay $40-$50 for your steak and everything else is al-a-carte. You want truffle fries, that's another $15, you want creamed spinach, thats another $12 etc.
You rarely see a base-priced, stripped-out porsche. Afterall, how can you say no to leather dash and color center crests etc.
Old February 18th, 2012, 03:07 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I plan to order one with a single option: sport bucket seats (assuming they come to the 991 soon). Carrera white over black. Plain Jane. Also getting model designation delete (why do they now have Porsche 911 carrera s on the back it is so long it is like a disclaimer). All the alphabet soup I can do without (PASM, the torque biasing crap, Porsche's version of land rover ACE, variable power steering etc.).

I still want to drive one with the real manual. The 997 was very good. I hope the 991 is better. The exige S is phenomonally fast and raw, but as a daily driver I am getting too damn old for it.
Old February 18th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo
That's mine. It's a "Vintage" built chassis/body not Beck. I like the Vintage better aesthetically and mechanically. Has FAT 2.7 Porsche engine/transaxle. The big deal was all the aluminum work which was more expensive than the car/engine itself. Same guy that did Leno/Seinfeld 550's. Original 550 is $1M plus. Most replicas can be had for about $20K. Mine was a bit more ($80K)........still less than 1/10th of the original and still fun as shit to drive. In the summer it's all I drive if it's not raining.

Like I said, most fun car to drive, not easy to drive "at speed"........but safer than a motorcycle (which wife won't let me drive anymore).

Congrats on the 911 Neil. Porsche definitely does a great job. Love the color too.

I think you would do "well" in my toy in LA.
Wow! That is too cool. If I saw that I would second guess wether it was an original. Bet it's a blast. I just bought a new house and have to sell my '64 356. Better than the 90 though.
And I want to weigh in on this 911 thing. Getting ragged on for buying a new 911 is quite funny. Wish I had that problem. Congrats Neil.
Old February 18th, 2012, 10:10 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke

Wow! That is too cool. If I saw that I would second guess wether it was an original. Bet it's a blast. I just bought a new house and have to sell my '64 356. Better than the 90 though.
And I want to weigh in on this 911 thing. Getting ragged on for buying a new 911 is quite funny. Wish I had that problem. Congrats Neil.
Neil is getting ragged on for being a douche in la. If you come here you will see grey auto 911s are on every corner. Every fool with credit has one. He's just joining the club.
Old February 18th, 2012, 10:28 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I was thinking why not some 20" lorenzos and a ghetto blaster stereo.
Old February 18th, 2012, 08:50 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
boy did i think of neil!!!

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...210302568.html
Old February 18th, 2012, 09:05 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Is that grey? Weird. I thought it was a rare color. Could their be two? Before he responds I know it is a 997.
Old February 18th, 2012, 11:17 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy View Post
funny, I read the same article headline and thought of him at first. Then I saw it wasn't the new 911.
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old February 21st, 2012, 02:52 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Highly desirable. http://www.cnbc.com/id/34774345
Old February 21st, 2012, 03:18 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
I can't believe some 924's are more valuable than a Slantnose!
Old February 21st, 2012, 05:20 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Enjoy!

http://mckenna.porschedealer.com/preowned/search.php

Robert Deniro
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:21 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Congrats on the new ride Neil. Nice looking vehicle and I'd be lying if I wasn't a little jealous. And if it had 3 pedals I'd be really jealous :D

I drove my father in laws 996 Carrerra S the other day bringing the kids to school and I'd get in trouble if I had that as an option to drive more often. I just want to hammer thru the gears driving that thing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht