Just bought a 2004 Hummer H1 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old March 7th, 2011, 07:46 AM
BEIS's Avatar
BEIS
Status: Offline
RYAN BEIS
D110 Soft Top with full rollcage
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 362
Registry
Just bought a 2004 Hummer H1

Well guys, yup. I just bought a 2004 Hummer H1 wagon. I still have the 110 Soft Top, so I'll still be on here. You guys are awesome. Was thinking about getting a NAS 110 or an LE 90, but caved to buying a pretty much brand new Hummer H1. It's a black wagon, leather interior, and so awesome. That makes for 2 out of the 4 dream cars at age 28.....Next is the Lamborghini and then the Lamborghini LM002. Gotta work harder for those. One day....one day.

Currently, I'm in Afghanistan, and will be home in May/June timeframe. Looking forward to hitting the trails with some of the guys in Austin, TX when I get back.

Take it easy!
__________________
-Ryan

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:47 AM
dchapman
Status: Offline
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: VA
Posts: 759
You must like working on shit. The only vehicle that requires more maintenance than a Land Rover is an H1.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
X2 on the H1, the only decent one ever made was the 06 Alpha ( Duramax/Allison combo )

04 is the Alpha wannabe ( most of them came with the Alpha interior sans navi )

I did own a LM002 for a brief moment many moons ago, and very disappointing.

As for the Lambo car................... go for it
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:26 AM
rovertrader's Avatar
rovertrader
Status: Online
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Marshville, NC USA
Posts: 4,629
x3 on the H1- makes the scheduled maintenance on the Rovers seem lika an econo car. I loved my '02, but service cost was crazy to keep warranty in effect
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:57 AM
phoenix37's Avatar
phoenix37
Status: Online
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Venice, CA/Yarmouth,ME
Posts: 5,792
Registry
Sorry for the sidetrack but what was disappointing about the LM002? Its on my dream car list.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old March 7th, 2011, 11:08 AM
dchapman
Status: Offline
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: VA
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Sorry for the sidetrack but what was disappointing about the LM002?.
It's looks.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old March 7th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Sorry for the sidetrack but what was disappointing about the LM002? Its on my dream car list.
Unlike Dan C I did like the looks back then ( that is why I bought it ), but it was not roomy inside, poor handle ( imagine a 3" lifted 110 sans swaybars ) on turns at high speeds, lack of spares and maintenance cost were out of space.

Mine was a 1990 ( 89 Euro model ), with the Countach engine, and I believe that engine does not belong in that car at all.

I wish I would have bought the Cheetah ( the one the LM002 was based on ) , was the real thing, less power as came with AMC power but much simple and roomy as all the BS luxury items were not present.

I know there was a some sort of in between made for the Saudi market , still AMC or Chrysler power with some earthly comfort but not much luxury , the one that failed for the military
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old March 7th, 2011, 02:23 PM
JJB622
Status: Offline
Jimmy Baker
1997 BRG D90
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 232
speaking of obscure suv's, I have always thought the Laforza was kind of cool. Not cool enough to buy but interesting. A lot of 89/90 models for sale but here is one of the newer, better equiped ones:
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old March 7th, 2011, 02:42 PM
nikojo's Avatar
nikojo
Status: Offline
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Fly over Country
Posts: 587
Congratulations! Enjoy it.

I just sold my Gallardo. Had a coupe for a year and then a Spyder for 2 years. Actually got BORED with it if you can believe. You just can't open it up on the regular road and not enough days to take it to the track. Also called a lot of unwanted attention and eventually was not fun anymore. But I HAD to have it (bucket list). Was in love with Lambo ever since the red Countach on the poster with the wine bottle and naked lady.

The only car I truly NEVER have gotten sick of has been the D90. I had the original in 1994 and then sold it in 1998. Missed it since and just got back into it 3 years ago.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BEIS View Post
Well guys, yup. I just bought a 2004 Hummer H1 wagon. I still have the 110 Soft Top, so I'll still be on here. You guys are awesome. Was thinking about getting a NAS 110 or an LE 90, but caved to buying a pretty much brand new Hummer H1. It's a black wagon, leather interior, and so awesome. That makes for 2 out of the 4 dream cars at age 28.....Next is the Lamborghini and then the Lamborghini LM002. Gotta work harder for those. One day....one day.

Currently, I'm in Afghanistan, and will be home in May/June timeframe. Looking forward to hitting the trails with some of the guys in Austin, TX when I get back.

Take it easy!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old March 8th, 2011, 01:38 AM
BEIS's Avatar
BEIS
Status: Offline
RYAN BEIS
D110 Soft Top with full rollcage
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 362
Registry
Pictures of my Hummer H1

Pictures of my new Hummer H1
Attached Images
    
__________________
-Ryan

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old March 8th, 2011, 01:52 AM
BEIS's Avatar
BEIS
Status: Offline
RYAN BEIS
D110 Soft Top with full rollcage
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 362
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
X2 on the H1, the only decent one ever made was the 06 Alpha ( Duramax/Allison combo )

04 is the Alpha wannabe ( most of them came with the Alpha interior sans navi )

Well, Gustavo, the 2006 was built on 2004 specs. So, you could say that the 04 is an Alpha wannabe, but the 2004 came first. The 2006 Alphas have the 2004 interior with a Duramax 6.6L engine and allison xmsn, with an updated snorkel, different brushguard, different rims, and a 2" lift for the updated engine. And the Alpha did not come with GPS navigation. Now, sure, you could buy a $120k, Alpha to get the D-Max, but I would rather have the 2004 (6.5L Turbo Diesel, only slightly less power than a D-Max, more MPG, same interior, same basic exterior, less expensive, and rarer than the 2006). Only 200 some 2004's were made. In fact, my truck is 1 of 21 black wagons ever produced in 2004. So, to me, the fit is right for what I like, and doesn't hit hard in the wallet as an Alpha would. To tell you the truth, I've always wanted one, and am happy with the purchase.

In terms of maintenance, about 99% of all the maintenance issues were solved by the 2003 models. And my truck only had 40k miles on the clock and was garage kept. So, to me, it was an easy buy. I love it, family loves it, girlfriend loves it, and so do my friends. Can't wait to get home and drive her as my DD.

Hope everybody is doing great and enjoy the pictures I posted!
__________________
-Ryan

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old March 8th, 2011, 11:25 AM
d90boy's Avatar
d90boy
Status: Offline
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,228
Registry
hey ryan,

good for you. 28 years old, trying to live your dream and all these older folks are busting your balls. have fun and enjoy it! its just a truck after all. =)


regards,

keith @ copley
__________________
keith humphreys
keith . humphreys @ me . com
617 . 308 . 4100
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old March 8th, 2011, 11:42 AM
dchapman
Status: Offline
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: VA
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEIS View Post
Well, Gustavo, the 2006 was built on 2004 specs. So, you could say that the 04 is an Alpha wannabe, but the 2004 came first. The 2006 Alphas have the 2004 interior with a Duramax 6.6L engine and allison xmsn, with an updated snorkel, different brushguard, different rims, and a 2" lift for the updated engine. And the Alpha did not come with GPS navigation. Now, sure, you could buy a $120k, Alpha to get the D-Max, but I would rather have the 2004 (6.5L Turbo Diesel, only slightly less power than a D-Max, more MPG, same interior, same basic exterior, less expensive, and rarer than the 2006). Only 200 some 2004's were made. In fact, my truck is 1 of 21 black wagons ever produced in 2004. So, to me, the fit is right for what I like, and doesn't hit hard in the wallet as an Alpha would. To tell you the truth, I've always wanted one, and am happy with the purchase.

In terms of maintenance, about 99% of all the maintenance issues were solved by the 2003 models. And my truck only had 40k miles on the clock and was garage kept. So, to me, it was an easy buy. I love it, family loves it, girlfriend loves it, and so do my friends. Can't wait to get home and drive her as my DD.

Hope everybody is doing great and enjoy the pictures I posted!
Comparing a regular H1 to a H1 Alpha with the Duramax is like comparing a 1984 4-cylinder Mustang to a Shelby. Sure, the 6.5 turbo is night and day better than the 6.2na H1's, but it's still a 6.5L boat anchor. Those engines were just not very good; they were not good in a Chevy 2500 and they were even worse in a Hummer due to engine cooling because the engines sit so far back in the "tunnel". Our 1997 Wagon cooked #8 at about 32,000 miles, and the 2004 soft top dropped #8 at 38,000 miles.

The truck are neat, but they are a pile of shit. It's gotten to the point where I can swap a half-shaft in less than 20-minutes. Go ahead any buy 2 or 3 power steering pumps and put them on the shelf, you'll need them. BTW, a 1984 Chevy Silverado PS pump is the same one as a H1 PS pump at a 1/3 of the price.

Also, go ahead an buy a box of Nord washers from McMaster Carr. You'll need to install these everywhere, especially on your half-shafts.

You can get most of the stuff you're going to need from Travis DePew at Rubber Duck 4X4.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old March 8th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEIS View Post
Well, Gustavo, the 2006 was built on 2004 specs. So, you could say that the 04 is an Alpha wannabe, but the 2004 came first. The 2006 Alphas have the 2004 interior with a Duramax 6.6L engine and allison xmsn, with an updated snorkel, different brushguard, different rims, and a 2" lift for the updated engine. And the Alpha did not come with GPS navigation. Now, sure, you could buy a $120k, Alpha to get the D-Max, but I would rather have the 2004 (6.5L Turbo Diesel, only slightly less power than a D-Max, more MPG, same interior, same basic exterior, less expensive, and rarer than the 2006). Only 200 some 2004's were made. In fact, my truck is 1 of 21 black wagons ever produced in 2004. So, to me, the fit is right for what I like, and doesn't hit hard in the wallet as an Alpha would. To tell you the truth, I've always wanted one, and am happy with the purchase.

In terms of maintenance, about 99% of all the maintenance issues were solved by the 2003 models. And my truck only had 40k miles on the clock and was garage kept. So, to me, it was an easy buy. I love it, family loves it, girlfriend loves it, and so do my friends. Can't wait to get home and drive her as my DD.

Hope everybody is doing great and enjoy the pictures I posted!
Ryan,

I am not shutting you down on your dream car ( I had my share of those ), just stated a fact on the difference, but again enjoy your truck.

------ Follow up post added March 8th, 2011 11:57 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy View Post
hey ryan,

good for you. 28 years old, trying to live your dream and all these older folks are busting your balls. have fun and enjoy it! its just a truck after all. =)


regards,

keith @ copley
I would gladly compare DOB oh young one
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:46 PM
d90boy's Avatar
d90boy
Status: Offline
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,228
Registry
haha sept of 81.
__________________
keith humphreys
keith . humphreys @ me . com
617 . 308 . 4100
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy View Post
haha sept of 81.
1881 that is ..right?
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:57 PM
d90boy's Avatar
d90boy
Status: Offline
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,228
Registry
no sir. 1981 =)
__________________
keith humphreys
keith . humphreys @ me . com
617 . 308 . 4100
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:10 PM
cwilder's Avatar
cwilder
Status: Offline
Chad
2012 110 Black
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 740
Registry
Ryan are you keeping the H1 in Texas or Winter Haven. I'm not far from you here in Florida. I see H1's in Windermere a lot.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted 2004 Defender 110 boshea Misc. Chit-Chat 24 February 19th, 2005 10:56 AM
2004 Southern Appalachian Expedition Robb Trips, Trails and Events 0 October 19th, 2004 09:12 PM
URE Uwharrie Rover Expedition 22-24 October, 2004 Uwharrie NC Dan Trips, Trails and Events 0 September 19th, 2004 09:01 AM
USA to Belize Expedition 2004 h2eater Trips, Trails and Events 0 May 24th, 2004 07:26 PM
2004 Nevada Trophy revisions Doug Trips, Trails and Events 0 February 4th, 2004 04:15 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.


Copyright