Just a quick rant... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 6th, 2013, 09:11 AM
atlcruiser
david
many

Just a quick rant...

I buy a lot in the UK to ship here. I spend quite a bit of time looking at different for sale web sites trying to find good deals on used parts.

So, I find an ad where this guy has 3 Td5 LHD heater cores new in the box. 10 gbp each. Nice deal there. I figure my truck needs one and I can sell the other two.

I e mail him over a few days. No response ever. There is a phone number so we call and have a chat. Turns out this guy is in the very far north of Scotland.

Yep, brand new LHD in the box 30 gbp for all three. Sweet. I have a UK shipping address, I tell him I will pay to have him box them and pay for carriage in the UK. He says the post office is too long of a drive for him. I suggest he not make a special trip as I am in no hurry and to drop the box off when he is in that area, he has to be in that area eventually one would think.

He does not want to do that as he needs them to get out of his house now. He also cant be bothered to box them for shipping either. He agrees with me that a courier service is impractical based on his location.

We are now at an impasse. He will not ship, nor will he box and I can't send a courier. I ask the logical question; how does he expect to sell these items? He hope is that a local person will need all three at once and will be willing to drive out to him and pick them up.

I point out to him that the demand for LHD heater cores in the far north of Scotland is not great. He agrees and tells me that is why he lowered the price to 10 gbp from 15 gbp each.

URBAN LAND CRUISERS LLC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

+44 404 915 1281
Atlanta, GA USA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

URBAN LAND CRUISERS + ROVERS LTD
1st Floor, 2, Woodberry Grove
London
N12 0DR
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 020 8133 1557

Company Registration No. 09003009

Our new Vehicle Sales site:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2013, 09:14 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
He's not a motivated seller.

Old May 6th, 2013, 10:25 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Typical UK Seller!

Typical lazy UK Seller!
They want someone to drive up pay cash take the goods and drive away.
Anything short of that is a no go.

Usually you get a whole dialogue why something won't work, instead of coming up with an action list of what they can do to make it happen.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2013, 10:42 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Oh and you cannot do a remote pick up with any carrier. That is, you can't have Fedex or DHL pick up an item in the UK and ship it to the USA. Makes no sense at all, but that's the way it is. If you are in the UK and want to have an item picked up from an address other than your own and sent to the USA, can't do that either.
I find most UK ebayers are lazy sacks of dookie. Won't even box and have the postman pick up.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 6th, 2013, 11:19 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I'm sure UK sellers do it on purpose ....

Have you considered posting the area and asking if anyone has a relative of friend in the area that would be willing to assist ... My sister recently collected and arranged shipping for a rare disco camel trophy bumper for a fellow board member.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:01 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
My wife has a Ebay UK account and I find it much easier to just "pretend" I am my wife and do not give details of what my plans are with any parts I win. In a few months I will be moving out there and will be happy to do anything I can for board members. Though your heater cores are a bit out of the way it seems.
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
it's simple...he is Scotish 'nuf said
Old May 6th, 2013, 02:05 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Sure beats having someone say "will do", take your money, and never ship.
Old May 6th, 2013, 02:16 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
FWIW, there is no honor on eBay.co.uk. I had a go-round with a parts recycler who insisted that it was MY fault that the picture in the ad for the 200tdi aircon bracket was for a V8 when I opened the box and found the wrong part. Why did you bid if you knew the pic was wrong? sez he. I went by the description, friend, which says "200tdi air con bracket". You shouldn't go by the description, but by the picture (protracted back and forth discussion of ebay rules). Dude finally relented, sent me the correct part and I still have this worthless lump of alloy that is a V8 aircon bracket.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 6th, 2013, 04:25 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
btw, I was not insinuating anything with my post - there are a lot of scammers out there on ebay, this guy seems to be up front - this assuming that you didn't actually purchase anything.

Did you actually buy the item from the seller? If not, then I think his response is completely legitimate.
Old May 6th, 2013, 04:26 PM
atlcruiser
david
many

I wanted him to sell me the parts but could not convince him to do so.

URBAN LAND CRUISERS LLC

+44 404 915 1281
Atlanta, GA USA

URBAN LAND CRUISERS + ROVERS LTD
1st Floor, 2, Woodberry Grove
London
N12 0DR
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 020 8133 1557

Company Registration No. 09003009

Our new Vehicle Sales site:

Old May 7th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Where is he? I know a lot of people in the north of Scotland...
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:20 AM
chasrover
Brian
1968 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
FWIW, there is no honor on eBay.co.uk. I had a go-round with a parts recycler who insisted that it was MY fault that the picture in the ad for the 200tdi aircon bracket was for a V8 when I opened the box and found the wrong part. Why did you bid if you knew the pic was wrong? sez he. I went by the description, friend, which says "200tdi air con bracket". You shouldn't go by the description, but by the picture (protracted back and forth discussion of ebay rules). Dude finally relented, sent me the correct part and I still have this worthless lump of alloy that is a V8 aircon bracket.

I will buy v8 bracket off you
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Ever notice how many eBay-UK sellers say they refuse to ship to USA?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 7th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Did you offer him an incentive to pack and ship for you? Like his original asking price? I don't know money seems to motivate the sells for me. Good luck, it's always annoying to find something you really need and find they won't ship! That's always a BIOTCH!
Old May 7th, 2013, 11:32 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Ever notice how many eBay-UK sellers say they refuse to ship to USA?
Have you ever wondered why?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 7th, 2013, 12:04 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I can sympathize with both sides of this story. If I were the buyer here I would just write it off as one of those too good to be true deals and move on.
Old May 7th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Spanner110
I
1993 Defender Pick up

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcruiser View Post
I buy a lot in the UK to ship here. I spend quite a bit of time looking at different for sale web sites trying to find good deals on used parts.

So, I find an ad where this guy has 3 Td5 LHD heater cores new in the box. 10 gbp each. Nice deal there. I figure my truck needs one and I can sell the other two.

I e mail him over a few days. No response ever. There is a phone number so we call and have a chat. Turns out this guy is in the very far north of Scotland.

Yep, brand new LHD in the box 30 gbp for all three. Sweet. I have a UK shipping address, I tell him I will pay to have him box them and pay for carriage in the UK. He says the post office is too long of a drive for him. I suggest he not make a special trip as I am in no hurry and to drop the box off when he is in that area, he has to be in that area eventually one would think.

He does not want to do that as he needs them to get out of his house now. He also cant be bothered to box them for shipping either. He agrees with me that a courier service is impractical based on his location.

We are now at an impasse. He will not ship, nor will he box and I can't send a courier. I ask the logical question; how does he expect to sell these items? He hope is that a local person will need all three at once and will be willing to drive out to him and pick them up.

I point out to him that the demand for LHD heater cores in the far north of Scotland is not great. He agrees and tells me that is why he lowered the price to 10 gbp from 15 gbp each.

Ok the guy is a genuine twat. I'm a brit and even I get embarrassed at some of the crap that goes on in ebay UK, but not everyone is as bad as that.
Did you get anywhere with the seller? if you PM me with the sellers location I'll see if one of my relatives can help out. They are in Nairn.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat