Jump in on a container? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 28th, 2013, 09:31 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

Jump in on a container?

I'm looking at getting a p&p cage for a 110 but unless I get a few people to share a pallet to the east coast it's going to be 400-500$ just for the one cage. I was hoping someone has a container I could use/pay my share of to get the cage to the states?
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Share a pallet ? $400 is cheap considering warehouse fee's ea side. The warehouse I use in Liverpool charges $50 handling charge per pallet. Containers are very expensive.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 28th, 2013, 10:09 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

Really? ok, if I remember it was $472 to NY plus probably another $200-250 to me.
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2013, 03:26 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I paid twice as much to import my p&p cage. I could have saved money driving to/from the port of entry but p&p buggered up my shipment by telling me that the cage was going to baltimore when it was actually going to nyc, then trucked to baltimore.

The cheapest thing to do Is make sure the cage gets to your closest port by ship directly and then pick the cage up yourself.

Once it is off the ship then additional costs are outrageous.
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:37 AM
myoverlandrover
josh

Great advice thank you! I'll see if I can get it to a closer port and go get it. With that said if anyone is liking for a cage they will do a discount if a few are ordered and shipped together.
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:57 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I remember someone with a ribbed roof was looking for a cage but I cant remember who.

Oscar
Old April 29th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Have you talked to Justin at Lucky Eight? He ships containers and has gotten the PP cages before. Stephen Peters is loading a parts container, I think, getting ready for shipment over.
Old April 29th, 2013, 07:31 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Btw - the entire cage will fit easily into a gen1 crv with room to spare. Even a short bed pickup like a ford explorer can hold the cage if packed properly on the pallet.

I spent $100 renting a uhaul to get my cage from baltimore back home, but I could have saved that money had I known that the cage fit inside my car!
Old April 29th, 2013, 08:50 AM
atlcruiser
david
many

Hi

As Doug said your quote is very cheap. $472 vendor to NYC is dirt cheap. You might want to check and see if that quote includes customs clearance, customs bond etc...on this side. Generally, when we ship DHL/UPS/Fed Ex those fees are included but a LTL pallet requires a separate clearance. We average about $200 per clearance.

We will piggyback stuff on our containers but ti will arrive in Atlanta. Not sure if that helps you at all.

URBAN LAND CRUISERS LLC

+44 404 915 1281
Atlanta, GA USA

URBAN LAND CRUISERS + ROVERS LTD
1st Floor, 2, Woodberry Grove
London
N12 0DR
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 020 8133 1557

Company Registration No. 09003009

Our new Vehicle Sales site:

Old April 29th, 2013, 09:00 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
This is how ridiculous it is - my ship actually went to Baltimore BEFORE it went to NYC. It is simply a matter of naming the port and having the shipping company send it directly to the nearest port to you.

Ship to Portsmouth, Portland, etc. Pick it up yourself. These ships are coming in and leaving every day. The ship that brought my cage across makes 1 transatlantic trip a week and hits 3-4 ports before crossing the ocean.

I paid a fee to have my cage palleted, then trucked to the port and loaded onto the ship. Total cost for this was ~$475. So I would say that the $400-500 number you got isn't really a "screaming bargain". It's just average.
Old April 29th, 2013, 09:34 AM
atlcruiser
david
many

I think it is a great deal assuming that is the landed price including all assorted fees.

I have never seen an "average" for shipping pallets. Much of that depends on the deal the vendor has with the shipper, location of freight,etc......

I agree that you can pick your port but remember that might change your cost on shipping. None of this is really hard and none is all that expensive but it is easy plan on one cost then suddenly get a bill for a lot more

URBAN LAND CRUISERS LLC

+44 404 915 1281
Atlanta, GA USA

London
N12 0DR
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 020 8133 1557

Old April 29th, 2013, 09:40 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcruiser View Post
it is easy plan on one cost then suddenly get a bill for a lot more
Yes, absolutely. The cost to get my cage from NYC to Baltimore: almost $400 (that's including all the associated fees). All this because I let P&P handle freight. I could have saved $300 or more going to Baltimore only.
Old April 29th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
A little insight on how this works since there seems to be some confusion.

I have had engines ship in ltl on a pallet and even handling the entry myself by standing @ the counter @ Customs House in Baltimore cost was in the high 600's when said and done for a single 48x48 pallet.

Problem with ltl is while you may say "I want it to come to Baltimore or Boston", you have to understand that you are in a made up container.

The shipper/freight agent has to look @ where the majority of freight in the container is going and that will be the destination. It is not possible to set the container on the ground in one port and pull out your pallet, it will go to a destination where the entire container will strip @ a warehouse after the entire container has cleared.

The only way to control everything is to book your own container and this requires paying people to load and unload,ocean freight, drayage/trucking, warehouse fee's. Very hard to do a 40ft container for less than $3700 and when you you start figuring out floor space and the fact that things can't be loose or stacked on top of each other the floor space gets expensive quickly. Just my .02 as someone who has done around 80 40 foot containers.

Most shippers cannot give you a hard cost number because they have no idea what exams/searches Customs might do to the container and what associated costs will run. Every shipper in the container shares in those. Additionally if Customs has an issue with anything in the box the entire thing gets held up and you share in those costs as well.

Once the container strips the freight will be trucked back to the port you designated. I have had this cost $180 for a pallet NY-Baltimore with the associated handling charges. Unfortunately a lot of this is uncontrollable by you the importer on LTL shipments as decisions are made by the shipper as to what is cheapest for the contents overall.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 29th, 2013, 10:49 AM
atlcruiser
david
many

Good explanation Doug.

What we do is to send every LTL pallet we have into NYC. Our broker is there so it makes things even easier. We then truck stuff stuff down to Atlanta. "On paper" it is cheaper to get delivered to Savannah, Brunswick or Charleston but over the long haul we have steady prices going into NYC so we stay with that plan.

It is worth considering DHL, Fed Ex and UPS if you can. The initial price will be higher but you do not need to fool with any brokers fees or delivery. We get two day service from the UK to the US all the time on big stuff such as transmissions.

URBAN LAND CRUISERS LLC

+44 404 915 1281
Atlanta, GA USA

London
N12 0DR
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 020 8133 1557

Old April 29th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I'll second the DHL/Fedex/UPS
Shipped my BHs via DHL two years ago (?can it really be that long) from there door to BDR Auto without hassle of direct dealing with customs etc. Also, no time lost going to the dockside for pick up. Sometimes paying a little more, pays off.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:06 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

Thanks for the feedback all! Talking with Justin now.
Old July 1st, 2013, 03:40 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

so to bring this back to life my P&P cage is on a pallet from UK to Boston and I got an email asking if I had an customs broker set up yet and their quote of

"Our charges would be:

Customs Entry $125.00
Courier $30.00
Single entry Bond $195.00
Courier $30 (if needed)
ISF $65.00

You will also have top pay pier charges and thc charges to the terminal, these will be billed at cost.
Duties billed at cost. "

Anyone know if this is steep or cheap? I'm contacting a second company to get a quote as well.
Old July 1st, 2013, 04:00 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

And shipping is on top of all that?
Wish I could recall the cost of shipping two BH and series/NAS doors and tops. These were shipped via DHL in boxes.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 1st, 2013, 04:14 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

Yep thats on top of what I already paid
Old July 1st, 2013, 05:12 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
my 2 cents thinks Justin @Lucky8 is your man if you can get out of the P&P deal. They should understand, plus Justin has a relationship there already. May be worth a call.

Clay

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat