John Hughes and Unimogs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 2nd, 2006, 12:49 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

John Hughes and Unimogs

So, I had some damage to the 90 back in May. I claimed it with my insurance, State Farm. First claim I ever made. They covered it without question.

Problem was that I had quite a bit of trouble finding someone who would work on Birmabright. Turns out a local dealer was the only one willing to take it on at the insurance rates.

So after waiting till October to get parts, it went in last week. Dealer had to get the parts thru LRNA and LRNA kept sending the wrong outer wings. The side marker placement changed at some time and they refused to cut into any OEM parts.

They did a great job. I picked it up last night and a gentleman is checking out my truck. I strolled over myself to review the work. The dealer did an awesome job. I was pleasantly surprised. He asks me about my sliders, tank guard and winch. After a few minutes I introduce myself.

It was the Director, John Hughes from 16 candles fame. Lives on the North Shore of Chicago and has a really sweet 97 SW in Red. He was in having it completely detailed and all dings removed!

Nice guy. Nice Truck. Had an ARB bull bar on it but was otherwise stock.

Best part of the night was driving the Unimogs the dealer had to plow. They were a MB dealer and all their plows were Mogs that the body shop just spent all summer restoring. I think most were 86-90. Those things were absolutely awesome. Fully loaded - lockers all around split gearing, ptos and all. One was geared so low it's top speed was 35. The driver had a 90 himself.

Cool night.

EwS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2006, 01:41 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

That is pretty cool... A friend of mine's house was the one used in 16 candles. He also lives/lived on the north side of Chicago.

Old December 2nd, 2006, 08:38 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I've been trying to come up with a reason (or excuse) to buy a Unimog. So far no luck but they are some cool utility trucks. Saw some late model units in Colorado this year that had huge Michelen tires on them. I bet they weighed 600 pounds plus each. I asked the guy who was working on the truck how you change a tire that size. He said you just have to be sure you don't drop it.
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2006, 10:04 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Hey, Randy!
Was that in La Junta, CO that you saw the mogs?
It's the closest place to you in Colorado I can think of where you can see them from the highway.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 11:37 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
was looking at Mogs seriously once, then was didsapointed that the moderns ones had the same import issues as Rovers.
Saw a fully set up Mog in Europe, and also in Japan.. awesome riggs, super plush with all amenities..
Old December 3rd, 2006, 12:04 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap
was looking at Mogs seriously once, then was didsapointed that the moderns ones had the same import issues as Rovers.
Saw a fully set up Mog in Europe, and also in Japan.. awesome riggs, super plush with all amenities..
You can get Mogs here. They have dealers across the country. Pricey, very pricey. Google unimog.
Unimogusa.com comes to mind and there is a large dealer in Texas with good stock.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 02:40 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

I was looking up unimogs all week long at work....it was slow. and im obsessed with them right now! ive seen some sell in the US for as low as 10,000 and up to 80,000. they are sweet ass trucks for sure
Old December 3rd, 2006, 08:21 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward
Hey, Randy!
Was that in La Junta, CO that you saw the mogs?
It's the closest place to you in Colorado I can think of where you can see them from the highway.

Yeah, that was the place. I sometimes take that route to the mountains just so I can see what he has. Last time through there I stopped and talked to the guy. He had some awesome trucks in for service. It was the first time I had seen late model Mogs.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:06 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
Yeah, that was the place. I sometimes take that route to the mountains just so I can see what he has. Last time through there I stopped and talked to the guy. He had some awesome trucks in for service. It was the first time I had seen late model Mogs.
Small world, it makes me chuckle to think someone from this board would have seen that place, let alone stop in and visit! I spend a lot of time down in that neck of the woods on a buddy's ranch located on the purgatoire river, about 17 mi. s.e. of there. If you ever think you're going to be passing through there over a weekend, and want to see some interesting country, let me know. At one time we had trout stocked in a stretch of the river. Fly fishing for trout out on the prairie, it was surreal....
Old December 3rd, 2006, 11:01 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward
Small world, it makes me chuckle to think someone from this board would have seen that place, let alone stop in and visit! I spend a lot of time down in that neck of the woods on a buddy's ranch located on the purgatoire river, about 17 mi. s.e. of there. If you ever think you're going to be passing through there over a weekend, and want to see some interesting country, let me know. At one time we had trout stocked in a stretch of the river. Fly fishing for trout out on the prairie, it was surreal....

Thanks, I will. I'd like to see what's out there.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 09:25 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Sweet jesus! MAXIMOG!

http://www.maximog.com
Old December 3rd, 2006, 11:25 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Ahhhh, the Bellargio of the Unimog set....
Old December 4th, 2006, 07:06 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Uh Oh, computer controlled suspension, integrated hydraulics and electronics!!!
Old December 4th, 2006, 11:03 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

My future tow vehicle for the 90!! If I were to win the lottery or be adopted by Bill Gates.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 4th, 2006, 11:16 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i think id like one of those big helicoptors with the two rotors for my tow/recovery vehicle.....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat