John Gadd aka Rover Dude aka Union Jack 4x4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 26th, 2013, 12:35 AM
hankhowi
s
1997 Defender

John Gadd aka Rover Dude aka Union Jack 4x4

Last week my wifeís 1997 D-90 pulled sharply to the left while descending from Angeles Crest Highway (Highway 2), damn this scared the heck out ofher (and me). Shortly thereafter it also made an awful sound when turning thewheel to the left. Anyhow, I took my wifeís Defender to my trusted mechanic of ten years and it was determined that my transfer case was at fault and needed to be replaced. Since I knew this would be an expensive and possibly difficult to find part, I slowly drove it home from the shop with the intent of sourcing a used or low cost replacement for my mechanic to install. Having worked with Clay (Cdewann on the forum) on my tire carrier I asked him who heíd recommend for parts and he referred me to John Gadd aka Roverdude. After speaking with John I decided to buy the part from him which was very well priced, and after speaking with him I also decided to have him install the transfer case. I had my wife's D-90 towed to his shop and after he diagnosed it, it turned out the differential gear was bad and one of the CV joints- not the transfercase as originally diagnosed. Anyhow, I had him repair the vehicle as he recommended. The point of this long winded story is that I found that in my dealing with John he is exceedingly professional. Not only did he properly diagnose my vehicle saving me big money, he also sourced parts at a very fair and competitive price. His communications(email,text, phone, smoke signal) were well received and appreciated during the entire process.The point of this post is to commend John for running a competent and honest business which is really a rare occurrence in the Peopleís Republic of California while providing parts/service at reasonable price. Frankly, I hate my wifeís D-90 and Iíd like to torch it. Itís a pretentious piece of British crap, I don't like British auto engineering and I like the Brits even less (that complaint is reserved for another forum). Regardless of my feelings about British engineering or my wifeís Defender, since my wife loves her Defender (she thinks itís cute) and Iíve been charged with task of keeping it on the road, Iím sincerely grateful that John is in business which makes owning this vehicle a much more tolerable affair. Thanks John for your help and professionalism .

Regards,
Shannon Egan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2013, 01:31 AM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Nice to hear about roverdude! Kudos to him....

Btw... You know, just because she doesn't let you drive it doesn't mean you can have a tantrum

I know... The grapes were probably sour anyway.
Old July 26th, 2013, 07:08 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
That's funny, the Defender is pretty much all American engineering.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
pretentious piece for crap ?

It is one of the most spartan and utilitarian vehicles ever built and your wifes truck is 16 years old, older than the expected life span of most vehicles. Not sure where pretence comes in- seems extremely real to me.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 26th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

So I'd like to know what the mechanical problem was...that doesn't sound like a transfer case problem or am I not fully awake yet to work through this yet?
Old July 26th, 2013, 09:16 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Sounds like a CV went bad and possibly took out the diff due to shock loads. Pretentious? Hardly. Sounds like the rants of a man that doesn't know one end of a wrench from the other. Maybe he's just afraid he'll chip a nail? I'd bet he's driving a Prius or a BMW.
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:08 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
John Gadd is a saint, after hearing Shannon's feelings about the very thing he is passionate about and still giving a fair price...
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:25 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
John is a good guy... Sold me a set of used springs to do a coil conversion on a 95 RRC. After installing them with the help of our friend the late Bharris turned out they had been baked and ruined.. He literally drove up right away with a replacement set and helped me replace them.

Now why Shannon would add the part about hating his wifes D90 on a D90 enthusiast board isnt really clear to me.
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:32 AM
hankhowi
s
1997 Defender

The "hating" is just a little friendly cynicism, I drove an IHC for years and miss it....not really meant to ruffle feathers. This site is great and it's contributors are wonderful and have provided a great deal of advice in keeping this Defender road worthy....Without this site I would not have been introduced to John or any other wonderful vendors that frequent here.
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankhowi View Post
The "hating" is just a little friendly cynicism, I drove an IHC for years and miss it....not really meant to ruffle feathers. This site is great and it's contributors are wonderful and have provided a great deal of advice in keeping this Defender road worthy....Without this site I would not have been introduced to John or any other wonderful vendors that frequent here.
X2...I would have never pulled the trigger on buying a older LR if it were not for this community....I Love to Hate you all for that!
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:53 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

If not for the eccentric and great people I've met through my Land Rovers I'd never one... just kidding.
Old July 26th, 2013, 11:36 AM
cjbenway
Chris Benway
1984 LR 90 ( Hedrick Rover )

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankhowi View Post
Nice follow up.
I didnt know the Land Rover community before buying mine. Found out after my purchace the passion/history for/of these vechicles. I got lucky.
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:38 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Your wife sounds pretty cool, you should leave the posting to her.
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
Lol!
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:53 PM
hankhowi
s
1997 Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
Yeah she's alright
Old July 26th, 2013, 02:24 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Let's cut Shannon some slack. If you have a ton of stuff going on in your life. Similar to me with a new baby, a potential relocation, a house that needs some fixing up then your car breaks on top of it ARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!! One more thing to go wrong.
Old July 26th, 2013, 02:54 PM
hankhowi
s
1997 Defender

Thanks Clay. The intent of my post is to give credit where credit is due. As a side note, Clay makes a fantastic spare tire/jerry can carrier!
Old July 26th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Hmmm?
I'm goingto take a wild stab at this and bet that with a name like Shannon Egan, you're more than just a little Irish. Maybe even have some relatives still in Ireland who remember the days of occupation and "Black n Tans".
I guess there may be a little basis for the anti-Brit rant.

No worries, it's all fun and games anyway and the point of you original post was well received (at least by me) in that you were providing the proper recognition to John "Roverdude".
Old July 26th, 2013, 02:57 PM
hankhowi
s
1997 Defender

Right on Jackie, make me a Caucasian please.
Old July 26th, 2013, 04:05 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Life ain't easy for a boy named Shannon. Glad you're back on the road!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
4x4, ac