Job hunting... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

View Poll Results: Will this post get me a good job?
Yep 1 3.45%
Nope 10 34.48%
probably at least some good contacts 18 62.07%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:58 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Great thread!

I'm in the same boat, after working for the same company for 23 years they are closing their doors and I have to find a new job by mid-year.

I am also in the IT field.

I'll jon the D90 Linkedn group, thanks for the tip.

Good luck to everyone out there looking for a new job/career!
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:33 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Any Mortgage LO's out there? PM me please

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:27 AM
galen216
Galen Lentz
'98 D1

Registry
I changed from engineering to IT Project Manager 2 weeks ago. I have a master's degree in PM and my PMP and it still took a year of looking for jobs. I found the same problem as most others, companies are looking for exactly what they want.

Whoever said it earlier is 100% correct. Use your contacts and get your resume in front of the person hiring. The only interviews I got where from positions where I circumvented the normal process of uploading your resume. Ironically, the job I got was through uploading my resume, but I had help from a friend that used to work here and gave me the information on everyone before my 1st interview.
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:44 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

The D90 Linkedin group isn't so active, the last post was a year ago. It's so "not active" I had to email the owner to add me to the group on my second request because it took so long to get added. On the other side of it, the Linkedin site it's self is a good tool but you only get out of it what you put in...so like anything else. Good Luck with the search you guys!
Old March 22nd, 2013, 09:35 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I don't want to step on or hijack Danny's thread, but we should start a "Career Networking" thread, or even replace the "cooking corner" since nobody ever seems to post there.
I try not to post any personal stuff on boards/forums, but clearly there are some good people, qualified people among us that are either looking for work, changing careers, relocating etc.

I have no corporate HR experience but I find it interesting that companies have very narrow parameters for new candidates. I theorize its because corporate America is basically lazy and doesn't want to take the effort to "re-tool" anyone (even if they're more capable, trustworthy or energetic than the pool of candidates matching the EXACT set of criteria).

Yes it takes some time to train or re-tool an individual and there's no gauranty that it will work out, yet the flip side is that when you hire somebody that has been doing the exact job description you're trying to fill, you inherit all of his/her bad habits and the most seasoned often think they cannot be taught anything new/unwilling to change. I bet HR departments look at it much simpler though....like if the precise candidate doesn't work out HR just boots him/her out with a few months severence and once again pays to find another candidate. (like a revolving door until they find somebody that fits).

I just spent 2 years training somebody to analyze commercial real estate and endured a lot of painful learning. He started out in a somewhat unrealated field, yet posessed strong attention to detail, analytical skills and work ethic. The trust factor was more important to me than what B-school he went to. In my particular business, many of the "good" analysts/appraisers have already started their own firms and/or work for national companies. Anyway, after more than two years of training, things are finally smooth enough where I don't have to babysit and the guy is relocating after a divorce. Nothing anyone can really do about that. Bummer. but I still don't look at it as a waste of time, he did produce during those two years and justified my efforts.

My take on hiring (and again, I'm a small firm and certainly no HR expert) is that you should hire somebody that is capable of doing the job in terms of minimal experience criteria and growing/changing with the company, but almost important is that you trust that candidate on a personal level that they are "invested" in the career and you/the company. I accepted a lot of growing pains with this analyst I trained because I really trusted that everything he did was honest and to the best of his abilities. Obviously this doesnt and will never apply to every job and industry as some are just too specialized, but there are lots of jobs that can be filled by candidates previusly working in unrelated fields.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 09:35 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Gold industry is hiring here, not my field but I have insiders in one of the major actor if anyone is interested in moving here.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:04 AM
Sandt
Sandt Michener
1984 Ninety

Registry
I'm hunting too. The State completely cut the funding to the museum where I worked as Producer for 15 years. So much for it being a State memorial anymore.
I'm on Linked-in if anyone would like to link.
Sandt Michener
Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:19 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD View Post
Gold industry is hiring here, not my field but I have insiders in one of the major actor if anyone is interested in moving here.
I love gold and speak 3 languages, you have any leads?
Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:26 AM
Abu Buckwheat
Malcolm
2005 Defender 110 TD5 Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Red110 View Post
Sorry, but Im going to go ahead and jump into this thread, if thats alright. Im stuck out in Iraq right now, trying to find a job back home in the states doing Satellite Communications work. Pickings are a bit slim at the moment, unless someone here knows otherwise. Cant wait to come home, but cant leave here until I find something. Thanks, and good luck to anyone else out there trying to find a job too.

PS- I just found and requested to join the D-90 group on LinkedIn as well, and Ill also agree that this forum is a great bunch of folks. Havent felt this sort of brotherhood since I left the Army.
I am somewhere that you are ... your skill requirements are out there but try AECOM, MPRI and Bancroft Global Solutions. All in locations as lovely as yours.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 11:51 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Sorry, but Im going to go ahead and jump into this thread, if thats alright. Im stuck out in Iraq right now, trying to find a job back home in the states doing Satellite Communications work.
Might check echostar or viasat / wildblue they both have locations here in Colorado.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 12:39 PM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
Quote:
Sorry, but Im going to go ahead and jump into this thread, if thats alright. Im stuck out in Iraq right now, trying to find a job back home in the states doing Satellite Communications work. Pickings are a bit slim at the moment, unless someone here knows otherwise. Cant wait to come home, but cant leave here until I find something. Thanks, and good luck to anyone else out there trying to find a job too.

PS- I just found and requested to join the D-90 group on LinkedIn as well, and Ill also agree that this forum is a great bunch of folks. Havent felt this sort of brotherhood since I left the Army.
What's your field of expertise and what are you looking for in Sat Comm? If you want, shoot me a PM.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 01:14 PM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
Hello All,
I figured it couldn't hurt to post here that I'm looking for a new position in the Philly area.
I've been working recently as a Project Manager (doing Infrastructure projects, primarily IT, but also a bit in healthcare and data analytics/warehousing) but I'm also looking at BA roles as well. I know its a longshot but I'd really like to network with some of the guys here to open up some employment prospects. I've got my MBA in Business Management and undergraduate in Engineering so I've got a good (educational) mix of tech and business.
I didn't want to post my resume here (because that's a bit weird) but I figured I'd give this post a shot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mods please delete if I've somehow crossed a line posting this here.
My company, SiriusXM Radio, has an IT/Engineering/Product Management office in Lawrenceville, NJ (Princeton) and I know a few Philly/PA guys who do the commute. It's about 40 miles north on 95 from downtown Philly. Check out the career section of our website and filter for Lawrenceville, NJ jobs. If you see one you like, shoot me a PM.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 01:55 PM
atlcruiser
david
many

Well..for what it is worth...we are looking to hire here in Atlanta. I warn you, the idea of working on rovers full time is much better than actually doing it

shoot us an e mail

URBAN LAND CRUISERS LLC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

+44 404 915 1281
Atlanta, GA USA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

URBAN LAND CRUISERS + ROVERS LTD
1st Floor, 2, Woodberry Grove
London
N12 0DR
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 020 8133 1557

Company Registration No. 09003009

Our new Vehicle Sales site:

Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:07 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Wow, this is a good thread! YMMV, but as A said, sometimes, work ethics and attitude trumps skill set. For the most part, if you're patient, you can train the skill set but you can never train or change attitude or work ethics.

I work in a very small niche industry (credit unions) and I have been for almost 20 years. It's my first job out of college. In a small industry, you tend to wear a bunch of hats so good exposure to different areas. We just hired a Network Admin last week, otherwise and it was a vacant position for awhile.

If/when we do have another opening, I would definitely post it up here just in case someone is looking. The carreer forum within D-90 is definitely a good idea.

Good luck to everyone looking for a job!

Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:13 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Series88 View Post
Danny - (Or anyone) - I am currently hiring consultants - if you have an interest in Consulting let me know.
What fields/needs?
Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:19 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
I love gold and speak 3 languages, you have any leads?
Biggest actor for now is Barrick Gold corporation, operating the Pueblo Viejo gold mine, check their global and local website for positions. In case you see something attractive and that will fit your profile, let me know by PM.
In case you don't, let me know your field of expertise and I will check with local contacts.

We may see more mining here in the near future, more sites and more companies (Xstrata, Gold Corp., etc...).

Cheers
Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:40 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep29 View Post
My company, SiriusXM Radio, has an IT/Engineering/Product Management office in Lawrenceville, NJ (Princeton) and I know a few Philly/PA guys who do the commute. It's about 40 miles north on 95 from downtown Philly. Check out the career section of our website and filter for Lawrenceville, NJ jobs. If you see one you like, shoot me a PM.
I took a look but they didn't seem to have anything posted that I was a good match for.
Possibly there's something that isn't advertised?
Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:05 PM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post

I took a look but they didn't seem to have anything posted that I was a good match for.
Possibly there's something that isn't advertised?
Not that I'm aware of but I can check with the recruiter. What are you looking for?
'96 D1 SE7 Willow Green - SOLD
Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:34 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
I was laid off Friday of last week, from a job I didn't like that much, so if anyone knows of any mechanical/manufacturing engineer or technician or machining/fabrication work feel free to give me a yell. I would be interested to get into the automotive world OEM or aftermarket.

I have lots of SolidWorks experience and specialize in R&D prototype development, material/surface characterization and multi-axis ultra-precision CNC machining.

In the meantime I'm going to try and do a few production runs on some rover parts I've designed.... maybe that'll grow into something.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 05:43 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
I hope this thread develops more/or the career subsection does as well. I am a junior in undergrad and this could be potentially helpful to me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat