JLR trying to buy Silverstone Race Circuit - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 3rd, 2015, 09:01 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

JLR trying to buy Silverstone Race Circuit

This is a bit like BMW or MB buying the Ring.

I love the idea. Knowing how much racing circuits can struggle financially this would lead to much more revenue and wonderful advertising for the brand if they can pull it off.

Welcome to Jaguar Silverstone for the 2020 British F1 Grandprix.......

Jaguar Land Rover in talks to buy Silverstone racing circuit - Birmingham Post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2015, 09:07 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
This is a bit like BMW or MB buying the Ring.

I love the idea. Knowing how much racing circuits can struggle financially this would lead to much more revenue and wonderful advertising for the brand if they can pull it off.

Welcome to Jaguar Silverstone for the 2020 British F1 Grandprix.......

Jaguar Land Rover in talks to buy Silverstone racing circuit - Birmingham Post
They have time and money to buy a racetrack, but no time to figure out how to make a respectable defender replacement?
Old December 3rd, 2015, 10:51 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
They have time and money to buy a racetrack, but no time to figure out how to make a respectable defender replacement?
They are making a replacement and its not the DC100 or whatever that POS was.
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2015, 10:55 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

It's actually brilliant on land rovers part. Make no mention of the replacement while ending current production and watch demand sky rocket.

Then when they roll the last ones out, introduce the new one.

For most people on the board it won't matter but I am willing to bet the people who shell out for fancy rebuilds will suddenly not bother. Much easier to go to a Land Rover dealer and shell out the cash for a truck with a warranty and a decent engine.

Not sure land rovers policy is on the warranty though. They might ship guys over to fix it on a one by one basis.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 10:55 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post

They are making a replacement and its not the DC100 or whatever that POS was.
Yeah! POS! Boooo!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old December 3rd, 2015, 11:14 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
It's actually brilliant on land rovers part. Make no mention of the replacement while ending current production and watch demand sky rocket.

Then when they roll the last ones out, introduce the new one.

For most people on the board it won't matter but I am willing to bet the people who shell out for fancy rebuilds will suddenly not bother. Much easier to go to a Land Rover dealer and shell out the cash for a truck with a warranty and a decent engine.

Not sure land rovers policy is on the warranty though. They might ship guys over to fix it on a one by one basis.
In the adventure motorcycle industry we have seen that not to be the case with the latest BMW adventure bikes, the newer ones got so reliant on their electronics and CAN systems that if you blew a fuse it had to go back to the dealer to be reset, if you wanted to add heated hand grips, it had to be done at the dealer through programming etc etc. this drove the prices of the older , non CAN reliant ones up ..how can you have a reliable vehicle when it has to go back to the dealer, all well and good until you're out in the middle of nowhere, sure, there will always be the poseurs and mall adventurists but as far as most defender guys, they want a reliable (ish) vehicle that can be fixed in the field, personally if I am off roading and I hit a bump at 20-30 MPH and the decel rate is enough to deploy an air bag and disable the vehicle that's not going to be a bonus..doesn't matter that it's under warranty... And there's something to be said about manual diff lock, manual non traction control brakes etc etc... Maybe I'm just old school and know how to drive...
Old December 3rd, 2015, 12:19 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Shockingly I agree with you Shayne but this to me is once again hard core enthusiasts. The guys buying expensive ROW rebuilds typically no nothing about the trucks. They just want something cool.

It's much easier to scratch that itch at a dealership than dealing with someone outside the USA.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 12:25 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

But a lot of people buy them for the cool factor, or..... I used to have one...or, I fell in love with one when I saw it on Born Free... Or... It just oozes safari expedition and I look cool in it.... It's hard to look cool in a new release that bares no resemblance to the old... Just look how long the new FJ lasted... Sure, there is going to be a couple of cliques who want the new ones... But I think it was a mistake to redesign completely..
Old December 3rd, 2015, 12:30 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Who says its redesigned completely. Willing to bet it has the same shape.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 12:35 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

From the pics I've seen of the DC100 it looks more like a new FJ.. Maybe that's not the direction they are heading and will remain true to original... I guess we will have to wait and see..
Old December 3rd, 2015, 12:59 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

It wont be the DC100 but it will probably be more modern than current with styling cues. Either way every dbag will have it.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 01:10 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
It wont be the DC100 but it will probably be more modern than current with styling cues. Either way every dbag will have it.
So when does yours come in..
Old December 3rd, 2015, 01:23 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Already ordered. Brewie is building me a cage/gopro mount.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac