Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 19th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
JK Wrangler VS. Defender

UK Magazine Article

Head to head comparison of the new Wrangler and the Defender. It's a good read, and I agree with most of the points made.

http://www.jeep.co.uk/jeep/pdf/wranglervsdefender.pdf

Enjoy.

Will H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Wow, I am shocked at the margin in the test results. As a Defender and a JK owner, I can see many of their points, but come on... (Ok, I am a bit biased to my frst true love #158). I am also surprised at these results from a Sahara (which I have). I can't imagine if they had compared to a Rubicon... The new JK is leaps and bounds more refined and user friendly over the '06 TJ, yet still retains the "Jeepness" that you expect from a Wrangler. I just went on a 8 hour trip to NC last weekend in the Wrangler. Not nearly as road worthy or comfortable as even my old '95 Disco, but still not a bad drive. In the Defender you would have to rest up a week after a trip like that In the end I really like my Jeep, and will probably drive it for a couple of years then trade it on something else, but I love my Defender and it's not going anywhere! And look at the price difference, 2K Euros!!! There would be a 110 in my garage no questions asked!
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:03 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Interesting points certianly - can't really disagree with any of them. Though I'm really surprised that the Jeep has more space than the 110, especially with the internal cage.

Apples and oranges really though. The Defender is a barely-updated 25, nee 50, year old design with only the most begrudging concessions to modernity. It appeals to me because I enjoy driving an automotive anachronism and place being cool higher than being comfortable.

As a side note, I dont enjoy cars that don't have cool owners. The Miatas were great fun, but pretty mass-market. I never had an enjoyable conversation with anyone about any of my four Mustangs. The BMW's, with the right crowd (like on the big coupe groupe mailing list - gotta stay off roadfly.com) are great - the people are mostly cool geeks who enjoy hacking into light control modules and L-jetronic injection systems. Alfa Romeo people are mixed bag, but I've got some great friends in the Alfa community. However, the Defender people are by far the best of the bunch.

Why go through life with a honda or something similarly anonymous? I like meeting new cool people, and one of the best ways to do that is drive something recognizable and different.

A Jeep just wouldnt do it for me in that regard.

Now the choir can say "amen."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

You do realize that's a slipper slope, right? That's why there's a RRC on blocks in my driveway, a wooden boat at a nearby boatyard (getting reframed), a Ducati in the garage, and a wooden kayak I built in the shop?

Dare to be different, yeah, but i think I need a 12-step program for an occasional return to reality.
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
PTTHTHTHTH@!!!!##$@# BALDERDASH....

I don't care...I'm living the dream.
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:55 AM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

Just glad that Jeep hasn't brought the Rubicon Diesel 4 door to US market or I might have a hard time driving past the dealership without stopping. I of course blame all this on LRNA because if they would just give me the choice there would be no choice for me. Despite all the bad things said about the Defender in the article I would be the first in line for a new Defender state side. One can dream, but if I was a gambling man I would say that we have a better shot at a Diesel Jeep Wrangler
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

See the 37% v. 67% 3 year residual value.
Old December 20th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I just drove by a few JK's in traffic today, and there is NO WAY that they can claim more space than a 110. They are like 2/3rds the size of my 110. I don't get it. Some writer is on some manufacturers payroll.
Old December 20th, 2007, 03:04 PM
94Rover
KCB
NONE

Notice the huge Jeep ad at the end of the article.
Old December 20th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
I just drove by a few JK's in traffic today, and there is NO WAY that they can claim more space than a 110. They are like 2/3rds the size of my 110. I don't get it. Some writer is on some manufacturers payroll.

I agree, I have driven a 110, and there is more interior room than my JK. JKs are larger inside than they look, but not that large. Not sure what they are thinking on that one
Old December 20th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Car magazines just love anything trendy, lower, and more comfortable.

For years they bitched and moaned when driving anything with a straight axle - bad for the slalom test. Off road testing was a quick run through the open lot next to the editorial offices. And woe the 4x4 lacking large radio buttons. What is it about large, easy to read buttons on a dashboard for automotive writers? One might think they should all be in assisted living. Some folks actually liked the old BMW dash with lots of small buttons, not idrive. I digress...

I really believe magazines played a part in why trucks are so bad now.
Old December 20th, 2007, 06:55 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

This is a toughy. I agree w/ Cheney. I raced Porches in the 80's, and it was a hairy game- tail wagging the dog, but when driven well, great results. Loss of concentration for a nanosecond- potential death, and NEVER hit the brakes when the suspension was loaded. But what a cool factor- especially in action/motion. Anybody could drive a Vette fast. I have a TJ that has waaay too much $$ spent on it, but it is a rock crawler like no Defender can be- mainly due to about a 1500# advantage. However, the stable will probably never be without a Defender. When it is all said and done, if you had to live/work/play offroad the majority of the time, the Defender is there for you with an unbelievable service life. The perfect Expedition vehicle. If you commute for a living, drive lots of miles, or need/want a 4-door soft top for family wheeling/exploring, the JK is near impossible to beat. Lastly, I agree w/ the article- the Defender gives the illusion of more room- airy, but the JK is a tad bigger and better utilized. My two cents, having owned Defenders for the past 14 years this month, and lots of 3k mile trips in them- try driving a 110 2.5 NAD cross country.....more than once. Cheers.

Old December 20th, 2007, 07:06 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Wink

I have a TJ that has waaay too much $$ spent on it, but it is a rock crawler like no Defender can be- mainly due to about a 1500# advantage.

There is a white defender in my garage that begs to differ and is willing to take on that challenge.

Tis

See you in Las Cruces?
Old December 20th, 2007, 07:44 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I see them as different animals. I'd buy an unlimited if they offered it in diesel (and the half doors) but it would never replace a rover (i think of it more as a fun minivan).

I found it amusing they didn't rate how many cup holders, but just that they were in the front and/or rear - that's usually a benchmark, lol. Obviously the defender failed miserably there with none in the rear.

But obviously everyone doesn't think like. To me, my old POS '84 110 isn't missing a single luxury other than intermittent wipers and a couple of cup holders up front (both easily solved). To others it's as spartan as it gets.

charles
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
I have a TJ that has waaay too much $$ spent on it, but it is a rock crawler like no Defender can be- mainly due to about a 1500# advantage.

There is a white defender in my garage that begs to differ and is willing to take on that challenge.

Tis

See you in Las Cruces?
I've seen that white Defender spank purpose built buggies on some of the toughest trails east of the Mississippi. I'd bank my dollars on it (and it's driver) any day. Y'all would have enjoyed the show.

Go ahead, buy the TJ or build the JK..

(for Cheney) - AMEN!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01027.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	11436  
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:13 PM
rovertrader
Dale

Sadly, I am off early tomorrow to drive to NY to pick up a tropical roof for a Series 109, in a Ford truck, as neither the Jeep nor the Defender are up to the task to carry a 5' x 9' piece a total of 1500 miles in two days. I suppose the 110 could pull it off, but the back couldn't stand it.

As far as the Cruces Challenge- should we drive the trail rigs there and back for a total test? Wasn't that the jest of the article- all around best ?

Tis- I'll decide by Sunday- does that work for the mass entry mailing?

Old December 20th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
I just found it be an interesting article that I thought some folks here might enjoy. Having owned 3 D-90's and now a JK Rubicon, I can see and agree with many of the points made in the article. And I obviously have to agree with Cheney on the count that even though I don't currently own a Defender, the friends I've made over the years with Defenders and other Land Rovers have kept me in this community. It is a unique group of people. My decision to with a JK was not taken lightly, but it does a lot of things that I couldn't get or afford to get out of a Defender, ie. four door convertible, and under warranty no less.
There is no doubt that a heavily modified Defender such as Jonathan's, or a Jeep such as Dale's can do some pretty amazing things. But, like when the Defender debuted in the states in '94, box stock you couldn't get a better off-roader. It's been 10 years since the last new Defender hit our shores, and Jeep still seems to be aware of what folks like ourselves really want. On the other hand, Land Rover has turned upstream, aiming for customer's that like the idea of adventure and exploration, but really have no intention of pursuing it. Box stock, for a new SUV, the Wrangler is the best thing going. But, it still doesn't keep me from wanting to have a Defender in the garage too.

Will H.
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:20 PM
rovertrader
Dale

in other words, a JK Rubicon, or an LR3 in todays world....

Old December 20th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90

Tis

See you in Las Cruces?
How do I get in on this? This Jeep better have 42's and rocks or better. Lets see this machine!! Hammers?

Tiz, you still coming this way?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Dale's Website

www.theroverbarn.com

Dale's TJ

http://www.theroverbarn.com/2006_TJ_Unlimited.htm

He has the list of specs.

Will H.

Lower Navigation