Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 16th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Jeep Wrangler Overland

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/fe...con/index.html

As a former Defender owner, and a current Jeep owner, I'm curious to hear some people's thoughts on the concept vehicle in the link above. It's kind of a blend of the 2 worlds, and I have to say that I rather like it.* But what do ya'll think?

Will H.

(Disclaimer*- Yes, yes, for those who'll get their panties all in a wad over this, I know, the Defender is way better than the Jeep, etc, etc.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2009, 11:36 AM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

Looks good, just pisses me off even more at Land Rover for not figuring out how to get the Defender over here.
93 NAS D110 #137 Sold
1-94 NAS D90 #702 Sold
2-94 NAS D90s (#1112, #1586)tdi Sold
95 NAS D90 #262 Sold
1-97 NAS D90 #642 Sold
2-97 NAS D90s LE (#82,#222)Sold
110 Crew Cab Td5 Sold
Hybrid Series 3 Sold
3-D1 Sold
1- D2 Sold
4- RRC Sold
83 110 5dr Diesel (current)
97 Disco XD tdi (current)
I can quit at any time I am not an addict!!
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:15 PM
ollieskins
Wade Garrett
1994 defender 90

It looks pretty cool. I like the looks of the defender better, but reliability & corrosion resistance of a jeep better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrnasd90
Looks good, just pisses me off even more at Land Rover for not figuring out how to get the Defender over here.
Perhaps TATA will have better vison. Although Jeep really has the market, but maybe TATA can make the Defender, or a varient cheap enough to compete with Jeep. There are two reasons I left he Jeep crowd - it was just that -too crowded and too many posers, and the Defender is better engineered and made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old July 16th, 2009, 01:23 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

A roof top tent and roof rack on a fiberglass top seems like a bad idea to me, but otherwise it looks cool (for a j**p).
Old July 16th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication
Perhaps TATA will have better vison. Although Jeep really has the market, but maybe TATA can make the Defender, or a varient cheap enough to compete with Jeep. There are two reasons I left he Jeep crowd - it was just that -too crowded and too many posers, and the Defender is better engineered and made.
I can't say that I necessarily disagree with either of these statements, at least historically speaking. No doubt, the Jeep crowd is not what the Land Rover crowd is, but the 4 door Wrangler has introduced a lot of atypical Jeep buyers. I know I'm not the only convert. There is no doubt that Defenders are very well engineered, structurally speaking, but sometimes the mechanics and electrics leave somethings to be desired. The new Jeeps are much better engineered than their predecessors, and I have to say much more comfortable than a Defender. And now Jeep seems to be venturing into markets that were previously ruled by Land Rover (military, expedition, etc.). Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see a new Defender just as much as the next guy, but in the mean time, my Jeep seems to fit the bill.

Will H.
Old July 16th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
yeah they are corrosion resistant because they are all plastic. thus enabling tree trunk to come through the floor and skewer your nuts. no thanks. besides, the new defender doors are supposed do away with most of the corrosion issues. the land rover wins hands down over these other vehicles due to its simplicity, ease of repair, adaptability and compatibility across the model range. reliability and corrosion resistance are user adjustable and are just two factors among many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieskins
It looks pretty cool. I like the looks of the defender better, but reliability & corrosion resistance of a jeep better.
Old July 16th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
A roof top tent and roof rack on a fiberglass top seems like a bad idea to me, but otherwise it looks cool (for a j**p).
Ron,

The rack is tied to the roll cage with support brackets. However, it does make it somewhat difficult if one wants to go without the top, which wasn't a problem with the rack on my 90.

Will H.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat