Old March 28th, 2012, 03:27 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
And AOL was trading for what? $90?
Hahah...was that ever a long time ago...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2012, 03:58 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
The original Jeep FC was a total stinking pile. Back then they were made by Willys. I hope they count on folks forgetting all about those.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 28th, 2012, 04:03 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

That could be built to be FMVSS compliant. I would bet money on it.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2012, 05:08 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
That could be built to be FMVSS compliant. I would bet money on it.
x2, and as said earlier if it was offered with a Diesel (along with a Diesel JK) I think a lot of people might jump ship.

That FC looks fantastic, I'd love it with a removable camper insert into the bed.
Old March 28th, 2012, 05:56 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
The blame, IMO, are our laws in the US. Land Rover isn't to be blamed for us not enjoying new Defenders when the ROW is. What sense does it make that a 25 year old or older vehicle can be used on our streets but something safer, cleaner and more econimical can't?
Old March 28th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by brn24whl View Post
It is sad that a concept like that will never be sold because of all the crash and roll over laws that it could never pass in the USA.
And maybe the $24000 axles might get in the way.... I'm sure there is $100k plus sitting there.
Old March 28th, 2012, 09:44 PM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

Funny... Jeep Might FC

Jeep Mighty FC

Wow, that's entertainment

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep-mighty-fc-xl.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	49613
Old March 28th, 2012, 09:52 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Day late and a dollar short buddy
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=36728
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 28th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
As a hand built one off, Im sure there is more than 100K in it. But in production, those axles wouldnt be anywhere near 24K

-Jeff
Jeep is selling the axles as an upgrade for $24k..... That is MSRP.

http://www.mopar.com/assets/pdf/perf...g/Jeep_Ram.pdf Page 256. Made by Dynatrac, http://www.dynatrac.com/products/axles/portals.html
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:04 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
To be perfectly honest, I think I just lust after anything with portals.
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Raz
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589

Registry
It would be nice to have a warrantee and the high availability for parts of a new US vehicle, but I would just as soon have a Unimog DoKa. Looks to be quite similar.
Old March 29th, 2012, 12:29 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
To be perfectly honest, I think I just lust after anything with portals.
And that is why Jeep IMO, is kicking some ass right now. One of my Wall St buddies said that Jeep is what is keeping Chrysler going. Between the Mopar book, Quadratec catalog and all the US off road magazines, a Jeep owner has plenty of stuff to keep the Jeep brand on his mind.

Us, well we might get a sharp looking polo or umbrella with a Land Rover logo. And can read all about different starters and brake rotors in Rovers North or the AB catalog. Although Lucky8 has some "Damn! that is cool!" items on their site and catalog.

I don't know shit about the car industry but I think LRNA shot themselves in the foot to nix the word Rover in all the US Suppliers. Seriously? You do not want people to say your name when you are trying to sell product? And not having any off-road models in the US like the Great Divide, XD, or G4 anymore or at least having a LR4 in the showroom with all the kit shows that they don't give a shit about that segment anymore and want to be another Cadillac/Lincoln lux-o brand.
Old March 29th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
The original Jeep FC was a total stinking pile. Back then they were made by Willys. I hope they count on folks forgetting all about those.
Blasphemy!! Why was it a pile? Just a stretched CJ5 with a goofy body. They were extremely popular with industrial users.

Semper Fi!
Old March 29th, 2012, 01:40 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by don

And that is why Jeep IMO, is kicking some ass right now. One of my Wall St buddies said that Jeep is what is keeping Chrysler going. Between the Mopar book, Quadratec catalog and all the US off road magazines, a Jeep owner has plenty of stuff to keep the Jeep brand on his mind.

Us, well we might get a sharp looking polo or umbrella with a Land Rover logo. And can read all about different starters and brake rotors in Rovers North or the AB catalog. Although Lucky8 has some "Damn! that is cool!" items on their site and catalog.

I don't know shit about the car industry but I think LRNA shot themselves in the foot to nix the word Rover in all the US Suppliers. Seriously? You do not want people to say your name when you are trying to sell product? And not having any off-road models in the US like the Great Divide, XD, or G4 anymore or at least having a LR4 in the showroom with all the kit shows that they don't give a shit about that segment anymore and want to be another Cadillac/Lincoln lux-o brand.
I was bored one day at work and looked up LR trademarks. They only have the name land rover and the oval logo trademarked. But I'm not a patent attorney. Just some guy that likes rovers.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old March 29th, 2012, 04:57 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I saw that on ExPo yesterday. Jeep is beating the shit out of the LR design department nowadays.
REALLY? who is going to buy that? LR is spending money to design trucks they can sell to the general public. This Jeep truck is just a PR move. Looks cool though.
Old March 29th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
REALLY? who is going to buy that? LR is spending money to design trucks they can sell to the general public. This Jeep truck is just a PR move. Looks cool though.
And this pr move sells a lot of vehicles. I was at the
Local auto and truck show last week. The jeep section was pack with rubicons and special editions loaded with accessories. They'd we're pushing the off road prowess of the brand. The area was packed with people... The land rover area was a bunch of shiny SUVs on 20 inch rims. You could hear the crickets.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 29th, 2012, 09:32 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Crickets? Hardly LR is selling vehicles as fast as they can build them. LR buyers of today don't go to local 4x4 shows. LR is displaying their new vehicles at actual auto shows that have thousands of visitors each day. They are displaying the cars of the future, not living in the past. Trust me, I want the next defender to be a Defender not a DC100 too but it probably won't be. However I am sure that whatever LR creates it will still be good off road.
Jeep has to remind people that they make good 4x4 vehicles because everything they build is crap except the Wrangler 4x4. Don't forget they make a 2wd version.
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:05 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Todd, we are all passionate about the brand... Most of us own several if not many LR's.

But you too have to admit there is a level of frustration amongst the LR base, the splitting of the LR/RR brand combined with losing the heritage, is disappointing. Every where I go these days, I see a ton of Jeep JK's all kitted out. LR could have captured a good percentage of those customers, instead of spending all that time and money on the Evoque.

While most of us really don't want to lose the rarity and uniqueness of our NAS Defenders, and we all secretly want any new D90/110 to be just different enough but still show off the ruggedness and heritage these trucks command. I really like my RR, but I love my 90, even with all it's quirks. The new RR will never "Evoque" the following and commitment that the Series and Defenders and older Disco's have.

Old March 30th, 2012, 12:15 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Scott, I know the people on the board are passionate about the Defender but lets face we are not the "LR base' as you put it, we are the fringe. Just like Wrangler owners that actually use their Jeeps off road are the fringe, not the core base that Jeep sells to. I would argue that the majority of the JK's you see with lifts etc are mall crawlers as much as the RR Sport is a mall crawler. Those peeps are the ultimate poseurs.
Land Rover has not lost the Heritage. It is still there and very much part of the brand image. Every LR made for NA is as capable off road as it needs to be. The LR4 is much better than the Evoque, why because the Evoque buyer is much less likely to use the vehicle off road, but it still has capability. Land Rover has not sold out and started making cars that can't go off road or are two wheel drive only. At least not here in the States. It's 2012 not 1997 the pressures on new car manufacturers are so varied it's crazy. fuel economy, light weight, sustainable, safety, lower co2, the list is endless.
I love the Defender, series trucks, and Discos but I am glad LR is still in business and making new modern Land Rovers which are also very comfortable, safe, family friendly, and capable off road. time marches on, don't get left behind.
Old March 30th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I'm glad we have LR still. Its our job to keep then going.
While I doubt many will admit it the Jeep is the only alternative.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat