Old October 28th, 2008, 01:21 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi
So what does this 'non conforming" vehicle list get you? obviously you can't just go buy a 1993 110 and bring it into the USA through a RI. Does this list exempt a listed vehicle from Epa, Dot, NHTSA, or customs or non of the above? I noticed that the 2000 model D2 is listed, be nice to have a td5 family vehicle., what's up with that?
Nothing is exempt except for "Show and Display" vehicles which are exempted from the FMVSS, but not EPA. The list (the NHTSA list) lists non-conforming vehicles that are "eligible" for importation - meaning that they are capable of being converted into compliance. There is another lesser-known (and smaller) list of vehicles that are deemed to be incapable of being brought into compliance.

You have to remember that the list is only for DOT compliance. EPA is separate, and compliance is on a case-by-case basis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2008, 03:38 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

so a 300tdi or td5 in an eligible vehicle would still never get EPA approval because the engine is not approved for US sales? I know this "what is legal" has been hammered to death but this list just seemed interesting. also why would only the 2000 model series 2 be eligible when it is the same vehicle as the 2001-2004, and no 1994,1995 Defender?
Old October 28th, 2008, 04:06 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
NHTSA/DOT-
Vehicles are added to the list by petition. When someone wants to import something that isn't on the list, they contract an RI who creates a petition packet in attempt to make a case that the vehicle should be deemed eligible. The fact that there is only one model year of Disco on there indicates that someone has only attempted to import that particular model. Sometimes the NHTSA will get enough petitions for a specific model that they will declare entire ranges to be eligible, as can be seen with E39 5-series BMW's for example. Very few cars are absolutely incapable of being modified to comply with US impact and equipment regs, usually its just a matter of money. If a car was never sold here period (Peugeots, Alfas, etc) then they might have to be crash-tested at your expense.
EPA:
The big problem with importing a non-US engine produced after 1996 is OBD-II. Unless that motor can be hooked up to an OBD-II system and diagnosed, then it's not going to pass EPA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Winston-Rover
Mike Giovannozzi
95 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Follow-up Post:

Actually, in the case of a correct build date and a correct VIN in these Japanese Spec 90s they come in without the need for an RI (Registered Importer) and no further compliance needed.
I always found that odd as they do not have front side marker lights and such.

From DOT email:

If it has a label affixed by the original manufacturer certifying its
compliance with all applicable FMVSS, the vehicle can be imported under
Box 2A on the HS-7 Declaration form without the need to engage the
services of an RI.

Coleman Sachs, Chief
Import and Certification Division
Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance
Mike,
could you please clarify this? it sounds like any vehicle with the label certifying complience with the FMVSS is a conforming vehicle. so then why would the build date even matter. the build date is only mentioned in the list of nonconforming vehicles. the DOT email doesn't mention build date either.

I'm currently in Dubai and have found a number of the Japanese Defenders here. I'd definately bring one back with me if it was that easy.

I'm currently looking at one that does have the FMVSS label, but I forgot to check the build date. so that's why I'm asking for the clarification. the vin is SALDV324XVA129894 with serial number 405.

it reportedly only has 38,000 km (24,000 miles !).
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:26 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston-Rover
Mike,
could you please clarify this? it sounds like any vehicle with the label certifying complience with the FMVSS is a conforming vehicle. so then why would the build date even matter. the build date is only mentioned in the list of nonconforming vehicles. the DOT email doesn't mention build date either.

I'm currently in Dubai and have found a number of the Japanese Defenders here. I'd definately bring one back with me if it was that easy.

I'm currently looking at one that does have the FMVSS label, but I forgot to check the build date. so that's why I'm asking for the clarification. the vin is SALDV324XVA129894 with serial number 405.

It matters because the NHTSA thinks it matters. There is likely no difference to the Japanese/UAE spec 1997 D90s built on or after Sept. 1, 1997, but as the NHTSA set that as a requirement... that is the end of it.
The only way you could change it would be to petition the DOT for a change in the ruling.
Quoted from the DOT import list:

"Land Rover
Defender 90
(manufactured before
9/1/97) VIN
"SALDV224*VA" or
"SALDV324*VA" 1997 432 NHTSA-2004 17022"

So it has to meet both, not just one. Some tried to come in a few months ago that had the right VIN but the wrong build date. They got rejected.
Also, if the VIN is correct and the build date is correct, but the decal on the driver footwell is missing for some reason, that will get rejected too (and Land Rover will not re-issue the decal). Make sure it has all the stuff in place before you buy.
Good luck.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Not to take anything away from Mike who seems very knowledgeable on the subject of what is illegal, but it seems like you'd be much better off asking that question to someone in US customs at your desired port of entry.

Oh, and good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston-Rover
Mike,
could you please clarify this?
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:31 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
Not to take anything away from Mike who seems very knowledgeable on the subject of what is illegal, but it seems like you'd be much better off asking that question to someone in US customs at your desired port of entry.

Oh, and good luck!

Asking officials is a great option!
Don't bother with Customs though, who you need to get the "OK" from is the NHTSA/DOT. You can find the contact details for them on the NHTSA web site.
Customs guys will change the answers depending on who you ask and at what time of day.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:34 PM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

Great thread!

I'm in Japan now and looking at a 90 with the right VIN. I'll have them check the build date.

Thanks for the great info.

Mike
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:01 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

discoinjapan

Funny, I noticed you post on discoweb and sent you an email with this thread just about the time you posted

Make sure you read what Mike posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Also, if the VIN is correct and the build date is correct, but the decal on the driver footwell is missing for some reason, that will get rejected too (and Land Rover will not re-issue the decal). Make sure it has all the stuff in place before you buy.
Good luck.
Old March 5th, 2009, 01:27 AM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

Dave,
Thanks for the info. Very much appreciated. Well, looks like it was born after Sep 1 so its a no go; although I have a few more to look at.

Mike, Thank you for the very knowledgeable info!!

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas
discoinjapan

Funny, I noticed you post on discoweb and sent you an email with this thread just about the time you posted

Make sure you read what Mike posted
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:54 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

I have a buddy in Japan... how's the price difference for importable Defenders there?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat