Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 16th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Japanese Defender's

Saw this on ECR's website. Thought it was interesting. Anyone actually have one of these? Thanks to Mike and the guys at ECR for the tidbit!

"The Japanese Specification Defender 90 Wagon here in the USA:
In 2006 and 2007 an importer brought in a good number of Japanese Specification 1997 Defender 90s. They are almost the same with some minor differences. They have the same 4.0 EFI V8 and are all automatics. They have power windows where the NAS version did not and a few other minor differences. We don't have any data on if these Rovers were imported legally or not, but this is how you tell a Japanese Spec. D90 Wagon from its NAS counterpart."

See link below for more:
http://www.eastcoastrover.com/INFOD90.html

Will H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2007, 05:23 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Think this might be one of them look at the sidemarker light in the front....and the parking lights....

Jap alien defender

Last week there were no pictures. now there's one. I'll check next week to see if there are more pics upload to the vehicle. Looks real nice though. Wonder how much???
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:01 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

I have seen them, they are NAS "Japanese" defenders from Dubai
They are being brought in from up North, Copley has gotten his hands on them, Brit Rover has and also check ebay, there are three of them on there now with miles in the teens to low 20s.
They have cloth interior like the 95 SW. Otherwise besides the side marker light you cant tell it not a NAS.
Great trucks with no rust because of the climate they came from.

M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2007, 07:06 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

I've also seen them, but in Japan. For a while I thought they were imported NAS Defenders.
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:56 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

So...are they safe? 'Cause that one on Brit Rover looks real sweet to me. I was thinking that #2113 needs a brother.....or sister.
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Huh,.....I had seen those 3 D-90's on ebay, but just hadn't noticed the marker lamps. I wonder how many of these D-90's have been brought in? I wonder why they came with power windows in Japan, but not here in the states?

Will
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I heard they're basically a NAS but with the pedals closer to the seat and stronger bumpers.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I heard they're basically a NAS but with the pedals closer to the seat and stronger bumpers.
LOL...nicely done!
Old November 17th, 2007, 08:39 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOD77
So...are they safe? 'Cause that one on Brit Rover looks real sweet to me. I was thinking that #2113 needs a brother.....or sister.

From ECR's write up...

"According to DOT regulations it would be 100% legal to import one of these 1997 Japanese Spec. Defender 90s through a Registered Importer."

Assuming the legality is what you are asking about..

Old November 18th, 2007, 12:06 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
They are certainly legal. Kudos to whomever is tracking them down with 12K miles....

Subtle differences. Notice the clear parking lamps, updated side turn indicators.

http://www.copleymotorcars.com/uploa...4df6xx7ff2.JPG
Old November 18th, 2007, 12:42 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Cars from Japan are typically very low-miles, and depreciate badly due to Japanese laws that make it progressively more and more expensive to own and operate cars more than 3 years old. I'm sure this importer made good money on this scheme. Brilliant really.
Old November 18th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Randlover

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 18th, 2007, 06:18 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

In Japan now and just saw a green one today and a white one two days ago. I spoke to the owner of the white one, he was clueless about the who NAS thing. It was a 97', he had bought it from the original owner. I was wondering about the cloth seats, I thought for sure it was an NAS that was imported into Japan. It all is making sense now.

I also saw a 110 Td5 a few days ago here in Japan too, it did not have the full exterior roll bar.

Sorry guys no pictures to post of any of them.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old November 18th, 2007, 11:41 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Cars from Japan are typically very low-miles, and depreciate badly due to Japanese laws that make it progressively more and more expensive to own and operate cars more than 3 years old. I'm sure this importer made good money on this scheme. Brilliant really.
I have been watching this thread, trying to understand why getting one of these would be attractive, but this kind of makes sense.

charles
Old November 18th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
http://www.tradecarview.com/stock/de...spx?sid=819078

Here's one for sale in Japan. $36K for a '97 D-90 with approx. 7300 Km (or 4500 miles). Not bad, but no idea on what it costs to ship it here. Anybody know what shipping across the Pacific costs?

Will H.
Old November 19th, 2007, 06:23 PM
PEP
Dan Smith

You all find me a good registered importer here in the states that knows what how to properly do the 1997 JDM Defender 90 conversion to NAS standards, I will hook you up with multiple companies in Japan who will export out the 1997 Defenders into the USA. I see these at auction from $11K for a 70 kPH vehicle to $35K for a 5 Kph vehicle.

It's on the NHTSA's OK to import list, so with some minor tweaks and red tape, this wouldn't be hard to import.

Rather then dream about what could be, why not do the necessary groundwork and dispell the myths. This isn't rocket science folks.

Find the magical registered importer who knows Rovers and I have two companies that will ship vehicles from Japan...
Old November 19th, 2007, 09:57 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
I believe this is the source of the Japanese D90's:

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf89/269109_web.pdf
Old November 19th, 2007, 10:12 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I've used JK Automotive in Baltimore, they aren't cheap, but they've been in the business much longer than most. I've heard that Wallace Lab in TX is also good. I'm sure there are some others that are knowledgable, but I've got no experience with them.
Old November 19th, 2007, 10:37 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

So being that the Defender holds it's value/appreciates in value, will the Jap D's do the same? Or are the NAS versions superior insofar as depreciation/appreciation
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:32 AM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

Depreciation/appreciation is a funny thing. Why an old hunk of metal and tires should hold a certain value all depends on supply/demand. I remember reading in the news about a south american or maybe southeast asian country where all imported cars had been virtually banned, so a 8- year old Nissan Sentra was selling for $20,000.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat