Japanese Defender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 9th, 2013, 01:47 PM
nameaneh
Eddie
None

Japanese Defender

Do you guys think that a '97 Defender 90 (Japanese Spec) would/should sell for the same as just your ordinary NAS? I know there are several subtle differences, but I'm wondering if someone is selling a Japanese spec should I expect to pay less?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2013, 01:52 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

IMO, condition should have a larger impact on price than NAS V Jap.
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:58 PM
nameaneh
Eddie
None

So do you think if two D90s were in the same exact condition, same mileage, etc. the Japanese Spec would/should be valued/cost nearly the same (if not the same)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2013, 01:58 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
This does not go in the Vehicles For Sale section. It will sell for whatever tsnell gets as his highest offer. There are tons and tons of threads on this if you search around a little, but personally, I find the biggest issue(s) being that usually the odometer has been replaced with little to no documentation, and that the cars weren't originally sold in this market. Because of that I don't see them as NAS, and not worth NAS money. As we've seen with nice imported non-NAS 110s though, people will still pay a premium for a Defender from any market as long as the condition is exquisite.

------ Follow up post added April 9th, 2013 02:00 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameaneh View Post
So do you think if two D90s were in the same exact condition, same mileage, etc. the Japanese Spec would/should be valued/cost nearly the same (if not the same)?
Would you pay the same amount for

1) Japanese spec D90 with 50k miles and no rust

vs.

2) NAS D90 with 50k miles and no rust
Old April 9th, 2013, 02:04 PM
nameaneh
Eddie
None

Well would you pay SIMILAR amounts? Or, if not, how much less would should you expect to pay for a Japanese spec, assuming everything else is equal. "It will sell for whatever tsnell gets as his highest offer" -- That's rather obvious, but doesn't help me in evaluating anything. Is there a way to move this thread to a new location?
Old April 9th, 2013, 02:12 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I would pay exactly the same ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old April 9th, 2013, 02:17 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameaneh View Post
Well would you pay SIMILAR amounts? Or, if not, how much less would should you expect to pay for a Japanese spec, assuming everything else is equal. "It will sell for whatever tsnell gets as his highest offer" -- That's rather obvious, but doesn't help me in evaluating anything. Is there a way to move this thread to a new location?
I asked you if you would pay the same, as you are a consumer. If you or someone else would pay the same, then yes...they should be expected to sell for the same. That's all I'm saying. The consumers drive the prices while the sellers make a value judgment on whether they can afford to take less for the item, or hold onto it in the hopes that 1) the value will not decrease over time, and 2) that someone in the future will be willing to pay them more/same.
Old April 9th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Eddie, Defenders are not and investments, they are rolling money pits that are quite addictive and fun as hell to drive. Any truck, NAS or otherwise, is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. So, I would say, set your budget and look for the cleanist and best maintained example you can find for that fits in your budget. As for NAS trucks, the cool thing about them is that only so many were made and they are numbered. It is up to the individual buyer to determine if the premium is worth it or not. My dream is to own/caretake an NAS 110. However, I am unwilling/unable to pay for that privilage. So buy it 'cause you want to drive it!
Old April 9th, 2013, 04:02 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I have one question. Every jap truck I've seen had power windows except for the one that was recently sold by the board member in Los Angeles with three trucks.

Anyone know why?
Old April 9th, 2013, 04:08 PM
nameaneh
Eddie
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I asked you if you would pay the same, as you are a consumer. If you or someone else would pay the same, then yes...they should be expected to sell for the same. That's all I'm saying. The consumers drive the prices while the sellers make a value judgment on whether they can afford to take less for the item, or hold onto it in the hopes that 1) the value will not decrease over time, and 2) that someone in the future will be willing to pay them more/same.
I was asking if anyone knew if it is normal to pay similar prices for a Japanese Spec. My question was not what I was willing to pay. Before I buy any "normal" car, I check blue book, Manheim Auction Values, prices of similar vehicles, etc. I do this to ensure that I'm not paying too much for a given vehicle. So essentially I'm trying to gauge whether there is a consensus as to whether a Japanese Spec D90 typically sells for similar prices as the NAS version because I can't just Blue Book it (accurately). However, thanks for the lesson in supply-and-demand.
Old April 9th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is a complicated question and I would say no. Normally a 1997 imported truck is not legal, so it is hard to compare against something so rare.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 9th, 2013, 04:55 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
It is a complicated question and I would say no. Normally a 1997 imported truck is not legal, so it is hard to compare against something so rare.
The JAP spec 97's are not legal?
Old April 9th, 2013, 04:58 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
The JAP spec 97's are not legal?
Some are, some are not. The Japanese and Dubai Spec ones have to have a VIN number that falls within a very specific range, and have everything else that shows that it complies the same as the real NAS from the same year.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender