Old September 24th, 2006, 07:16 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Janey, Mike, and Bob are Off!

For All Concerned Parties:

I picked up Mike and his dad (Bob) yesterday at the San Jose airport. We spent some time last night and today getting her ready for the trip. I installed the doors that used to be on my truck, Mike wired in electric fans, and we changed the oil.

After getting the guys a good meal at In-N-Out burger, they hit the road.

If you see them along the way, be sure to ask specifically about the high-quality upgrades like the chrome rear-view mirror(s), Sanford and Son roofrack, and the high-mounted exhaust.

Charles G set up a GPS enabled tracking site at www.whereisjaney.com/track - check it out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2006_09240040.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	6842   Click image for larger version

Name:	2006_09240046.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	6843  

Name:	2006_09240047.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	6844  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2006, 07:51 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I am so leaving it in that color combination.

Ron

(stuck at work on Sunday night)
Old September 24th, 2006, 07:59 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

That's some sort of hybrid of The Partridge Family bus and the Beverly Hillbillies truck!

You KNOW Mike is gonna be scoring with the chicks, being behind the wheel of that sexy machine...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2006, 08:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Last trip I did not have much luck with the Mormons, mike was less than interested.
Old September 24th, 2006, 08:34 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

United Rovers of Benetton?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old September 24th, 2006, 08:52 PM
evilfij
evilfij

That is the fragrance I prefer. Of course I am a die hard schumacher fan so their F1 team can curl up and die.
Old September 24th, 2006, 10:04 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Thumbs up

Hi All

I didn't realize the URL to the tracking site had been posted - I only just got it looking presentable today, and sorry if I broke it every now and again. Jim or Ron, if Mike didn't give you access to the photo gallery, please let me know and I'll give it to you. I'd love to see more pictures up if you have them.

If you have any feedback or ideas for it, just let me know. I'm still working on backend stuff to allow Mike to create trip legs and markers with interesting points / happenings, but hats up now is usable. Having a lot of fun with it

charles
Old September 24th, 2006, 10:52 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Charles,

I really like the Rover-tracking page. I've been thinking about doing something similar. My plan is to take a Linksys
WRTSL54GS access point and flash it with OpenWRT. It takes a 5VAC input and it shouldn't be too hard to step it down. I'll connect a USB GPS to the router and hopefully find some place nice to mount it all. To the WRT, I will connect my Aerialix 12dBI omnidirectional antenna. On the oftware side, I'll write a simple daemon in Perl or C to read the NMEA data off of the GPS and log it to a text file. I'm going to try to set the access point up so that it acts as a client, searching for any access points that it can find, connecting to any that are without WEP or WPA protection. When it finds a connection, it will upload that text file to my server, where I will process it into some kind of Google maps thing. I was even thinking of hooking a simple USB webcam and USB hard drive to the WRT as well, and storing pictures taken every 30 seconds or so, uploading them when a connection is present.

I must admit, however, the Boost Mobile solution is a lot simpler. Are you sure that it's *unlimited* data for only $10/month? That's sweet. My friend Sean has a Mac Mini mounted under the seat in his Disco II, with a fold-out touchscreen LCD in the dash. It gets DC power directly from the truck and he has all kinds of USB gizmos hooked up to it: webcams, hard disk, Griffin Powermate, etc. He can either get WiFi internet or connect via his cell phone with Bluetooth. I could probably mount a Mac Mini under the passenger's seat, but I'm not sure how I could mount an LCD...

Chris

/
/
/
/
Old September 24th, 2006, 11:09 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Where the hell is it off to now?
Old September 24th, 2006, 11:12 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm being reassigned to Russia, so I sold the truck to Ron (evilfij). So, Janey is on her way back to the other coast.
Old September 24th, 2006, 11:16 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Chris, I don't want to hijack this thread with geek stuff, so feel free to email me direct. But briefly, I want to do a carputer type system too but the only vehicle I want it in is my defender and that means it needs to be very rugged. Do some surfing, but I suspect you'll find it's all been done before. Personally I'd use a buffallo AP - they are cheaper and more hackable.

I didn't mention it, but the boost phone can be used as a modem too (albeit slow - like 56k). You can also connect a serial cable to grab NMEA from it too. So there is no reason you can't use this as part of a carputer solution for GPS and backup/slow data access.

charles
Old September 24th, 2006, 11:47 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

My apologies for the thread-jack. Back to your regularly scheduled programming. So, are Mike and Gang going to stop at Moab for the rally?

/
/
/
/
Old September 25th, 2006, 02:21 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

That thing is so stealthy man, I doubt any of the Rover guys will catch him rolling down the highway

We were suppose to hook up next Sunday. Can't wait. I'll post pictures

If this makes it back to the EC, LR's will truly be the best piles of crap rolling down the highway.

The tracking map is so awesome dude.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin
So, are Mike and Gang going to stop at Moab for the rally?
Yes they are
Old September 25th, 2006, 02:31 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisteD90

Follow-up Post:

Yes they are
Kick ass. Yousef, are you having second thoughts about going to the rally?

/
/
/
/
Old September 25th, 2006, 07:15 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I see they are in Arizona now! Jim, why did they choose to run overnight? Are they trying to keep a low profile, or is this to avoid overheating or something? Also did Mike publish a planned itinerary anywhere? - I forgot to ask him before he left.

thanks
charles
Old September 25th, 2006, 07:41 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Mike has a loose itinerary - he plans to spend a couple days at the Grand Canyon before heading up to the Natl Rally at Moab later in the week. After that they will be relative hopping for a while and figure on being back in NH sometime the following week.

I'll let Mike insert details as to why he is sneaking around in the dark if he so chooses!
Old September 25th, 2006, 09:59 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

This has to be a hoax... no series truck can go 70mph.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	janeyhoax.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	6863  

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old September 25th, 2006, 10:15 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Check out my avitar. That is Janey, she is a 110 V8 carbed and yes she was doing 110mph on the way out last winter.
Old September 25th, 2006, 11:55 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Nice GTV in the first pic!

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old September 25th, 2006, 12:58 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
This has to be a hoax... no series truck can go 70mph.
LOL. Well, I believe it, but the GPS readings are not always perfect so take it with a grain of salt. I can display the speed uncertainty at that time (the gps reports how accurate it thinks the reading is) with the reading if you really want Maybe I'll add another tab to the ballon with all the geeky details.

charles
p.s. Chris hit me on aim sometime pls.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat