Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 11th, 2015, 03:04 PM
UserName
Andy
Janey

Registry
Janey Doors Seeking Retirement Community Setting

I listed these doors in the “parts for sale” area but then came up with this crazy idea. Not sure if anyone will even read this but I figure this is worth a try before trying to sell them so here goes …

Short back story:
I recently purchased a red 1984 D110. It was sort of a “barn find”, the owner had moved to Alaska and the truck was sitting in his parent’s barn just a few miles from my house. The owner’s parents didn’t know much about the truck and I only had the chance to talk to the guy in Alaska once. He mentioned that the vehicle had a long history with DSource members but didn’t get into much more detail. To me it was sort of like hearing about your girlfriends prior boyfriends so maybe I wasn’t really listening. Anyway, I always wanted a 110 so I sold my other Rover to generate the cash to spruce her up a bit to turn into a daily driver. The guy who bought my other Rover explained that I had just brought home the girl named Janey and that my intentions better be good, lots of people bigger than me looking out for her, etc. (ok, slight exaggeration, but there is another story there if this one were not too long already).

One of the things I have to change are the doors – the 48 year old second row doors are particularly rough – lots of sharp rusty holes in what’s left of the frame rails (passengers are required to get tetanus booster shots prior to entry). It’s not even worth buying cards or trim to cover the interior because there is nothing left to attach them to.
I don’t know the whole history of Janey … perhaps I still don’t want to know (still don’t know about my wife’s ex-boyfriends either). But there seems to be a lot of members who know her.

Hence my crazy idea:
So I am wondering if there is a watering hole out there somewhere where these doors could be hung on the wall in honor of their noteworthy time with Janey (and also the Dormobile they came from). Maybe there is a bar owned by a member or a pub frequented often by members with a willing tavern keeper. Just a place for members to go pay homage to or learn about Janey, for drunks to ponder why these old rusty doors are on the wall, and for unsuspecting passerby’s to learn about the existence and culture of DefenderSource (sort of promotional display set up where it is most likely to draw interest – a place serving alcohol).

I would happily donate these doors if such a place exists. I am sure a prior owner would type of a story and provide photos. Since much of Janey’s history is in the VA area that may be the best retirement community setting for these doors. If it works out I hope to use the RURR to get the doors to their new home and then drive Janey down at some point for a visit.

Recent history of member Janey owners as I understand it.
JIMC prior to 2007
EVILFIJ 2007
CGALPIN 2007-2010
JAMES 2010-2015

Sorry for the long post. Let me know if anyone has any ideas … constructive ones anyway, I already know this is crazy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Janey1.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	129541  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2015, 03:14 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Awesome idea. Someone needs to buy Kilroy's
Old September 11th, 2015, 03:15 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
The red truck in the picture is not Janey

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2015, 03:32 PM
UserName
Andy
Janey

Registry
According to the previous owners it is. Charles CGALPIN sold her to James. I think James put the rack and brush guard on. I believe EVILFIJ put the doors on (sounds like he painted them anyway) - not sure what she looked like before that.
Old September 11th, 2015, 03:35 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Lots of Janey history here. Can you say road trip?
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...-off-9564.html
Same truck.

------ Follow up post added September 11th, 2015 03:43 PM ------

Tardis,
Post a photo of the rear right corner of the tub to confirm. Here she is in 2007.
Old September 11th, 2015, 03:49 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Funny transaction between two of Janey's "boyfriends", from Ron to Charles.

Jalopnik should pick up this story....

Over the course of the week I arrange with Charles to meet me on Sunday (only day I have a fighting chance of not being at work and I have comcast guy coming so I am not going to be at work at least until afternoon).

8ish am sunday morning, cell phone rings, I wake up, rather chipper english gentleman calls me informing me he is at the PA line. (I am fighting back a nasty cold and am hung over from the night before so I have little recollection of this).

9am Charles shows up. I am in nice pants (mistake one, remember I am sick and hung over). Meet Charles and Donna and take them to rented garage location via minivan.

Remove remaining tools from last month when I got the water pump in. Relocate overflow hose to be able to close hood without severing it with bonnet prop rod.

Put battery in Janey (same yellow top mike had been abusing since late 90s). She cranks, but no fire (this has happened with ALL THREE defenders I have tried to sell).

Charles: What is that clicking sound? Must not have juice.

Ron: that is the fuel pump, not the starter.

Charles: that sounds bad.

Ron: No, Rob Dassler says they are supposed to sound like that. [ominous feeling in the air]

Ron: [thinking no way Donna will ever approve sale after seeing look on her face when she sees Janey for first time with hood up and dirty--I had warned charles of her lackluster appearance--no presale detail by Ron] I can't believe you brought your wife with you . . . better to ask forgiveness than permission and all . . . .

Charles: Nah, I was supposed to have the kids too!

Ron: [smiles: thinking of joy of life sans minivan]

Charles cleans cap contacts while I clean garage of tools.

Try again. Remember there is a choke. Charles cranks. She fires!!! Ah, success.

Shut down Janey.

Top up coolant.

Charles: Passenger side door does not seem to shut right.

Ron: I dunno, Jim had it working at one point. [trys hip checking it closed--see first trip report]

Charles: I will bungey it closed

Ron: Sounds good. Its got a rachet strap holding the middle doors anyway . . . .

Oil light on.

Charles to Ron: why is oil light on?

Ron: She does that, probably a bit low.

Charles: I can top her up. What grade?

Ron: thickest possible? 20w 50? (steals quart of oil from minivan, dumps in Janey): ok 10w 40 will work.

Charles: Still on.

Ron: I dunno. Standard feature for this model year.

Charles: Ron, shouldn't you be trying to upsell me.

Ron: I don't do that. I tell people everything is a POS so they don't get mad if it is and are happy if it is not. I do not even send pictures.

Charles: adds another 1/2 quart.

Ron: Oil light went out.

Charles: Can I take her for a test drive?

Ron: Sure.

Charles: You want to come with?

Ron: NO! Does not have inspection stickers. Warns Charles brakes went out once on trip.

Charles: Ok. [drives off clearly trying to remember how to drive stick]

LONG PERIOD OF TIME ELAPSES. RON CHATS WITH DONNA HOPING CHARLES IS NOT DEAD FORCING HER TO RAISE THEIR KIDS ALONE. DONNA IS NICE PERSON.

Janey returns!!!!!! Ron is happy but not too surpised. Faith in Janey reaffirmed.

Ron: She looks mean.

Donna: What?

Ron: She looks mean with the yellow doors and all.

Donna: ah . . . ok [surely thinking Ron is nuts]

Three get together, drop Ron off for comcast guy, Donna and Charles to discuss purchase.

Ron home, comcast guy there.

Cell phone rings:

Charles (signal breaking up)

Ron: can't understand you.

Charles: (signal breaking up)

Ron: still can't make it out

Charles: I am outside now, is that better?

Ron: Yes.

Charles: We will take her.

Ron: [shocked and somewhat saddened] Ok, what do you need from me?

Charles: I want to put the exhaust on and top up the fluids.

Ron: [thinking crazy brit, just drive her] Ok, come by and get the key to the garage and I have a couple hangers and you can have at it.

Charles: Ok.

Ron and Charles go into Ron's basement, and procure exhaust hanger from half of range rover classic frame stored deep therin after wading though pile of rover parts.

Charles: don't forget you have nice pants on.

[Ron's nice pants now soiled] Ron: eh, too late. That always happens.

Charles mentions something about a spare diff. Ron shuffles some things and points to a bucket.

Charles goes to garage and works on Janey.

Ron's cell rings:

Charles: Muffler end is rusted off. Looks like it is freshly bolted on, but . . .

Ron: Oh, sorry, I must have forgot to put on new one and put back on old one. I will get you the new one, I will run it over.

[Ron runs over muffler in Jen the roommate's honda because LWB has blown upper rad hose and lotus is blocked in by comcast guy--discovers Charles covered in oil and looking dirty, Donna sitting in minivan peacefully reading]

Charles: Do you have bolts?

Ron: Are there not any in the truck? [walks toward truck]

Charles: Do you have an auto parts store? All I see are door hinge bolts . . . .

Ron: they should fit [thinking Charles needs to enroll in the Ron School Of Roadside Rover Repair to have a lasting relationship with Janey]

Charles: Good!

Time goes by . . . comcast installed but they did not bring the HDMI boxes so Ron mad . . . .

Janey and Minivan show up at house exhaust somewhat attached.

Charles and Ron make small talk about the tire cover Ron forgot to take off so now has to include in sale and various personal effects and the cool jack in the truck and how the exhaust is on but does not quite match up flange to flange . . . .

Donna cuts Ron a check.

Ron is sad.

Charles is happy.

Donna is a good sport [yay Donna!!!]

Ron wishes Charles and Janey well.

. . . . thirty minutes later . . . .

Ron's cell rings: Hello, how is it going Charles.

Charles: Not good. Fuel pump stopped clicking and I am dead on west chester pike.

Ron: Check the wires. We had this problem in Iowa on the way out and mike kind of fixed it.

Charles: Where is it?

Ron: On the frame rail in a little box.

Charles: Oh, I was looking in the back. Which side?

Ron: the side with the fuel lines on.

Charles: Ok . . . oh there it . . .

Ron: got to go, LA on the other line call me and let me know how it turns out.

Charles: . . . .

Ron hears nothing. Assumes all are lost or in prison.

Goes to work monday morning, checks email. GREAT SUCCESS JANEY MADE IT!!!!!!!!

Good luck to Janey [and Charles and Donna] in all her travels.

Best Regards,

Ron
Old September 11th, 2015, 04:04 PM
UserName
Andy
Janey

Registry
Great story - she still does not have an inspection sticker (well, a legal one) and the oil light still comes on often. She can also still do 70 too ... I have not tried to push beyond that yet.
Photo of corner for confirmation - corner a little worse for the wear since 2007.
Seeing those old photos makes me wonder why I didn't get the NAS rack with the purchase.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	janeycorner.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	129544  
Old September 11th, 2015, 04:12 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The best part about Janey and the doors is that when Mike H. picked her up in Maine to drive her to Niagara Falls to pick me up to drive across country the first time (in the middle of winter) she had no doors because ECR kept them before selling to JimC. He was stopped at the turnpike entrance and detained while the guy figured out whether or not he could drive a truck without doors.

The doors were installed in my parents' garage. The middle set was off a 1964 dormobile, and the front set off a 1973 SIII. Both sets were rusty as they came off Canadian series trucks I bought around 2001 and were basically just supposed to be there for the trip. It did not get yellow doors until JimC put the ones off his 1995 on it after he bought it. Of course, it still has those middle doors ....

The oil light was a wiring issue according to CGalpin. The motor never knocked or ticked like it actually had low pressure.

JimC strapped the NAS rack up there for some unknown reason. It was never actually attached.

CGalpin did the body damage wheeling her.
Old September 11th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I am offended I am not on the list

I was her keeper for a month ( shame on you lol )

When James came to take her, she did great at good speeds, he drove her from Sykesville MD to NC like he was in a Fast Car :-)
Old September 11th, 2015, 04:40 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
And ECR gave me the front doors back at Winter Romp a few years ago to give to Galpin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG00027-20090214-1855 copy.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	129556  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old September 11th, 2015, 04:44 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
This Is the best thing ever. That's definitely Janey. I'd know that crummy brush bar anywhere. It came off my NAS 90. The NAS rack was just there to get it to a buyer, so just "shipping via Janey."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 11th, 2015, 04:48 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
OK with the "proper" doors it looks right. Having doors all the same color, well, then it's just a 110. Bill was fooled.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 11th, 2015, 04:59 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'll never forget that truck coming backwards down a hill @ me in the slick slime @ Uwharrie and Charles put her into a small tree to stop the collision. That was the day we started calling Galpin a Jedi. He could make Janey do things with a simple set of at's that guys with bigger badder rigs couldn't replicate.
Glad to see her resurface in good hands

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 11th, 2015, 07:01 PM
UserName
Andy
Janey

Registry
10 years of great history coming out from a post just a few hours old. This confirms that these doors should be in display somewhere. These have been on Janey since Ron and Mike H almost died driving her on the highway without doors in the middle of winter (hoping there is a photo of that). Not so much to display the physical pile of rust that they are, but for people to look at once in awhile and tell stories like these. Incidentally she recently failed the state inspection because you could not open these doors from inside. So I took the doors off and went back for a re-inspection without rear doors - it didn't fly, not sure how Wranglers get away with it.

Anyone have a good idea of where these should go for retirement? Any annual haunts near one of the rallies, a 4x4 clubhouse, or perhaps just nailed to the tree that might have saved Doug's life (probably a big tree by now). I could print out a book of history from this forum to include with the doors when they sign in for retirement.
Old September 11th, 2015, 07:16 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

There is no D90 Source clubhouse somewhere. The most fitting tribute, in my opinion, would be to sell them to another member who will use them--keep passing them around just like the truck.

/
/
/
/
Old September 11th, 2015, 07:22 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I guess Charles could be considered an English gentleman
Old September 11th, 2015, 09:26 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i wonder what Mike H is up to these days
Old September 12th, 2015, 04:44 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
i wonder what Mike H is up to these days
He's got really little kids and is very (very) active in his church.

Old September 12th, 2015, 07:01 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
He's got really little kids and is very (very) active in his church.
We used to do church every Sunday at Huffs house. It consisted of no less than 4-6 Rovers being wrenched on in his driveway. I miss those days when we were all (very) active in church as well....we haven't had that gathering in awhile and now he's moved to a new place!

Love the thread - it is amazing how recognizable even random Janey parts are (it immediately jumped out at me on the fs thread for these, and I had not realized yet that she ended up with you). I actually tried to buy Janey back from James before you scored her, but then he disappeared (again) after Charles tried getting back in touch with him for me. Glad to see she's gone to a good home!

Ps - 'UserName'...you mention how you're not sure how you feel about hearing of previous boyfriends (owners) of Janey. But what you're overlooking is that she isn't the one that was 'passed around'....she's the one they should have married .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old September 12th, 2015, 07:50 AM
UserName
Andy
Janey

Registry
Just updated my profile details to list Janey as Vehicle #1, the Tardis is out (my son is going to be upset with the reduction of Dr Who references).
These comments and the history are great. I hope I can refer back to this thread in the future with the search tool.

The bar is pretty low for a home for these doors: maybe just on a wall in a shed where 2 members get together once in awhile for a beer. Wait ... I take that back, I don't want to hear from the 2 guys getting together in the backyard shed. Not that I have a problem with that, I just don't want to feel obliged to visit.

Alternatively, I would trade these for a 93' 110 NAS in good running condition.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
door, tire