Jalopnik article on why Defenders cost $70k plus - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old April 8th, 2016, 11:16 AM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Offline
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,550
Registry
After he gets done with cars (hopefully soon), I hope he moves on to reviewing luxury watches.

"Here's why the Triplejack Repeater costs $250,000..."

Quite frankly, high Defender prices are completely uninteresting to me, especially in a world where people are paying upwards of a million dollars for things they put on their wrist. At least with a Defender, you can sleep in it like a homeless person.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #42  
Old April 8th, 2016, 11:23 AM
The Dro
Status: Offline
Dro
1988 Ninety
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 6,692
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorutah View Post
seriously that guy was painful to watch. And his laugh? He needs to take acting lessons.
x100
__________________
Mine is NTO... It was new, Now I'm Taking it Off.
Quote:
Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old April 8th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Nomar's Avatar
Nomar
Status: Offline
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Central,Virginia
Posts: 4,291
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post

To me, every automotive journalist is pretty much like me: full of crap

ha ha
I thought the journalist who did the Petrolicious Video of his VW Scirocco was pretty funny...

But most are full of crap


.
__________________


Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #44  
Old April 8th, 2016, 11:46 AM
JohnsD90's Avatar
JohnsD90
Status: Offline
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 2,282
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
At least with a Defender, you can sleep in it like a homeless person.
Who would do that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	146816  
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old April 8th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Ray_G's Avatar
Ray_G
Status: Offline
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NoVA
Posts: 2,636
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Quite frankly, high Defender prices are completely uninteresting to me, especially in a world where people are paying upwards of a million dollars for things they put on their wrist. At least with a Defender, you can sleep in it like a homeless person.
Homeless people should at least be warm and dry, lets not wish this upon them.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old April 8th, 2016, 12:10 PM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Offline
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,550
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
Homeless people should at least be warm and dry, lets not wish this upon them.
I guess I should do something about all that newspaper balled up in the back of my truck
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old April 8th, 2016, 12:13 PM
chuckc4
Status: Offline
chuck b
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 517
I think he hit the nail on the head with his comment (I am paraphrasing) "People who own Defenders don't really care what other people think."
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old April 8th, 2016, 01:34 PM
ssi19's Avatar
ssi19
Status: Offline
scott
1995/D90
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: new york, ny
Posts: 982
Everyone's full of crap
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old April 8th, 2016, 01:45 PM
PabloCocito's Avatar
PabloCocito
Status: Offline
Pablo Cocito
1987 Defender Tithonus
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NoVA
Posts: 384
His Aston Martin snow test was the most painful video yet.. Or when he takes his R32 skyline to the dealer expecting service reps to bow down, and then cries and rants when they didn't even care about it..
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old April 8th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Arlo's Avatar
Arlo
Status: Offline
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bremen, Germany
Posts: 523
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
It was mildly entertaining, but overall pretty bland. Nothing unique or enlightening. Like most journalists today, he didn't know much about what he was talking about, but wanted to be the one to tell us anyway. A lost opportunity to mention the self combusting feature, or the awkward key placement. He could have made a better WTF point with value comparing it to a equally priced D1 rather than a 10K less Trooper.

-Jeff
Well, I'm with you until the very last seconds on his video when he says:"Defenderpeople don't realy care of what you are thinking"...

And he's young!

Have mercy to people knocking on Defender's door!
__________________
Land Rover werden vererbt, Sankeys sowieso! I told the old guy that weeks ago. I think his cheese is sliding off the cracker.......
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old April 8th, 2016, 05:51 PM
alastair's Avatar
alastair
Status: Offline
AJS
84/94/95/2013
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 385
I lasted about 12 seconds. I don't do well with gumby shaped manboy voiced eunuchs.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old April 8th, 2016, 06:13 PM
vtlandrover
Status: Offline
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 390
Sorry, fellas, but I gotta disagree...

First, he's young. Which I admire, considering us car guys seem to be a dwindling breed.

Second, he's an automotive journalist. How cool is that?!

Third, not only is he an automotive journalist, but he's affiliated with the most reliably accurate, often funny, up-to-the-minute reporting automotive blogs ever. jalopnik.com If you're not familiar, I'll bet you a Heady Topper you become almost instantly addicted and stop in nearly as often as this site.

Fourth, he makes many valid points along the way... pointing out the absurdity of a carmax warranty (how sustainably profitable can it be?), demonstrating how to carry large items on the roof of his F360 (useful!), and having the gall to daily drive a yellow H1 in Philly. Note: he's been able to find a job that he gets paid to own an Aston Martin, an F360, an H1, a GT-R... and openly admits that the only car that he's kept for any real duration is his Range Rover and the only car he regrets selling was his Range Rover Classic.

Finally, there's the unfortunate picking on his face, voice and other features. I'm not into making fun of people that way - perhaps I recognize that we're not all beautiful! But, while they used to say "you have a face made for radio," I'd prefer to suggest that his skills at drafting the written word don't translate well to video. I've never watched Jamie Kitman, but imagine he may have certain qualities that would bother... which is to say, he's a writer.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old April 8th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Arcadeus's Avatar
Arcadeus
Status: Offline
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,209
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtlandrover View Post
Sorry, fellas, but I gotta disagree... First, he's young. Which I admire, considering us car guys seem to be a dwindling breed. Second, he's an automotive journalist. How cool is that?! Third, not only is he an automotive journalist, but he's affiliated with the most reliably accurate, often funny, up-to-the-minute reporting automotive blogs ever. jalopnik.com If you're not familiar, I'll bet you a Heady Topper you become almost instantly addicted and stop in nearly as often as this site. Fourth, he makes many valid points along the way... pointing out the absurdity of a carmax warranty (how sustainably profitable can it be?), demonstrating how to carry large items on the roof of his F360 (useful!), and having the gall to daily drive a yellow H1 in Philly. Note: he's been able to find a job that he gets paid to own an Aston Martin, an F360, an H1, a GT-R... and openly admits that the only car that he's kept for any real duration is his Range Rover and the only car he regrets selling was his Range Rover Classic. Finally, there's the unfortunate picking on his face, voice and other features. I'm not into making fun of people that way - perhaps I recognize that we're not all beautiful! But, while they used to say "you have a face made for radio," I'd prefer to suggest that his skills at drafting the written word don't translate well to video. I've never watched Jamie Kitman, but imagine he may have certain qualities that would bother... which is to say, he's a writer.
Sixth, I find him incredibly attractive in that nerdy hunk way.

Okay j/k but that where I thought it was going.... Just sayin...
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old April 8th, 2016, 06:57 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,250
Registry
I thought it was funny. Sometimes you guys are too serious.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old April 8th, 2016, 08:38 PM
LuisC's Avatar
LuisC
Status: Offline
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Austin,Texas USA
Posts: 1,900
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
Sixth, I find him incredibly attractive in that nerdy hunk way. Okay j/k but that where I thought it was going.... Just sayin...
Just sayin....
http://youtu.be/A1Gst1-iDQ0

Better?
__________________
Black Rhino Lives Matter
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old April 8th, 2016, 09:22 PM
vtlandrover
Status: Offline
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 390
That was damned funny!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old April 9th, 2016, 07:28 AM
1of40's Avatar
1of40
Status: Offline
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Potomac Falls & Wintergreen, Virginia
Posts: 6,087
Registry
Yeah, come on, it was that bad. Too bad they didn't work in the ignition key. I love watching state inspection mechanics fumble around trying to figure that out.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old April 9th, 2016, 08:40 AM
WeBeCinYa's Avatar
WeBeCinYa
Status: Offline
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 2,388
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastair View Post
I lasted about 12 seconds. I don't do well with gumby shaped manboy voiced eunuchs.
Gumby haha. He does have those mannerisms.
__________________
1994 Defender 90
2006 LR3 SE
1996 Discovery I (sold)
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old April 10th, 2016, 11:02 PM
Birdman's Avatar
Birdman
Status: Offline
Chris Bird
1995 D90 ST #2046
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Posts: 185
Registry
Here's Why The Land Rover Defender Costs $70,000 (Or More)

Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old April 10th, 2016, 11:11 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,250
Registry
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...and-69752.html

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...lus-69724.html
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, land rover, land rover defender

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Series article on jalopnik leastonce Misc. Chit-Chat 0 October 9th, 2014 10:11 AM
Defenders, Defenders and more Defenders d90boy Wanted 13 March 25th, 2014 12:40 PM
Jalopnik article about vehicle importation hillstrubl Misc. Chit-Chat 1 March 13th, 2012 11:37 AM
1993 Land Rover Defender 110 in Scottsdale, AZ $70k. azarmadillo For Sale - Vehicles 10 January 18th, 2009 09:44 AM
WHY WHY WHY am I blowing through suspension bushings? KevinNY Defender Technical Discussions 27 September 13th, 2007 02:29 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 AM.


Copyright