Izuzu diesel swap - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 29th, 2005, 01:10 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Izuzu diesel swap

I was chatting with my local rover mechanic the other day and we started talking about diesel conversions. I talked about the 300tdi and he said, nah too expensive plus local mechanics can't work on it. So I asked him what would be better he said he knew a guy who had dropped a diesel from an izuzu comercial transport truck into his 110. According to him the engine fits like a glove and runs like a champ. Anyone heard of this before?
Sounds good to me. My rover guy has his own shop (not a dealership) and it is for rovers only and he knows what hes talking about. Not to mention the fact that he has the most badass county I have ever seen, so i trust what he says.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2005, 01:16 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I think I read that in one of the LR Owner magazines once. They went to a junkyard or something and picked out 4 or 5 cars in it that the engines matched the output of the rover diesel and mated up well with everthing else underneath. I remember isuzu being one cause I used to have one...sometimes I miss it...learned to really wheel in it too...sniff...

If he's not driving a new Rangie and wheels his own rig I'd say trust the guy and go for it.
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:27 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustydefender
I was chatting with my local rover mechanic the other day and we started talking about diesel conversions. I talked about the 300tdi and he said, nah too expensive plus local mechanics can't work on it. So I asked him what would be better he said he knew a guy who had dropped a diesel from an izuzu comercial transport truck into his 110. According to him the engine fits like a glove and runs like a champ. Anyone heard of this before?
Sounds good to me. My rover guy has his own shop (not a dealership) and it is for rovers only and he knows what hes talking about. Not to mention the fact that he has the most badass county I have ever seen, so i trust what he says.
Common procedure in other countries. I've seen them installed in RRs and Discos. Mercedes and Perkins is alo very common. Nissan 3.3 SD 6 cyl, I have a friend who has it installed in a pre 80 RR, he had to move the front x member cause the straight 6 engine is longer than the V8 . He has it mated to an LT95.

Lots of diesel engines been showing up on eBay (FL vendors).
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2005, 02:09 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

ohhh, it is definetly not on big rims. I'll try to get a pic from him or take one. It is an swb county not sure of the year he converted it to some sort of extended cap pick-up and he gutted the interior and replaced it with diamond plate. He has rovertym springs, a snorkel exterior roll cage, and what appeared to be 38 to 40 inch boggers. He re-arranged the letters on the back to spell hang-over dont know where the h came from and the finishing touch, a massive set of balls on the rear axle! One more thing he swapped the engine for a callaway 4.6!
Old July 29th, 2005, 02:11 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Old July 29th, 2005, 02:24 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

He can work on it but Bubba out in the middle of nowhere can't. This isn't really a big deal but alot of times i take my truck out into the middle of nowhere quite often not to mention the accessabilty of parts. This is not what really interest me. What does interest me is savings im going to contact the guy who has it on his 110 and at least talk to him about it. The guy claims he got a brand new engine for a considerable amount less than the 300 which was his first choice. Once again this is not really a serious consideration I was just curious because i have never heard of an izuzu swap before.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHuny
No problem dave I'm sure you know more obout this stuff than me (im not being sarcastic im sure you really do know more than me I have only owned a defender for a year)
Old July 29th, 2005, 02:36 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

No, I meant my original reply had too much sarcasm in it :evil . The 300 tdi is not any more difficult to work on than any other turbo diesel engine. That's why everyone wants one. Plus it's not going to leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere It's harder to get a low cost one here in the US. I think your local guy there is thinking of the td5, which is a ECU-controlled 5 cyl diesel sold in current Defenders, and that would be pretty hard to work on here.
Old July 29th, 2005, 04:22 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustydefender
ohhh, it is definetly not on big rims. I'll try to get a pic from him or take one. It is an swb county not sure of the year he converted it to some sort of extended cap pick-up and he gutted the interior and replaced it with diamond plate. He has rovertym springs, a snorkel exterior roll cage, and what appeared to be 38 to 40 inch boggers. He re-arranged the letters on the back to spell hang-over dont know where the h came from and the finishing touch, a massive set of balls on the rear axle! One more thing he swapped the engine for a callaway 4.6!
I think I saw that at MAR this year...
Old July 29th, 2005, 08:06 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

I know the guy you are referring to. I met him at a Blue Ridge Land Rover Club outing in May. He's got a soft-top, grey-market, 110 hybrid. I actually have some pics of his truck.

Here it is. Soft-top 110 with an Isuzu diesel engine. http://www.brlrc.org/Scrapbook/MayDay2005/MayDay_27.htm
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:15 AM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Sorry, I don't no what MAR is pardon my ignorance I only do local rover outings. That pic looks like what he was talking about. That is a very nice rig.
Old August 1st, 2005, 03:52 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well lets see, in Australia you could buy 110's with the Isuzu 3.9 liter engine in them. The non turbo units are not all that powerful but the turboed are pretty good but they are heavy if you ask me, too heavy for a 90 but Ok for a 110. You may want to check out the outer limits 4x4 forum ( http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modules/phpBB2/ ), it's based in Australia.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
diesel