Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 28th, 2014, 10:57 PM
fujisd
Spencer
None

Italian Defenders

Hey All,

So I've been lurking for a couple of years and have been infatuated with defenders ever since I saw one in a parking lot way back in middle school. Now that I'm grown up (at least in terms of age) I still want one. I don't really have too much money and all the ones in the states are all pretty expensive. I've been looking to import one maybe and I've been looking on autoscout. It seems like all of the defenders for sale are in Italy and mostly they are always the same ones. Are these scams? I can't go over there to look and test drive them so it would mostly be on faith. I know Doug seems to be the man to talk to about importation so I'll try and contact him as well. I just wanted to know if anyone had any luck though autoscout and if anyone had any thoughts on all the Italian Defenders?

Thx
Spencer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2014, 11:49 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
You might also reach out to Cube II here on the forum he lives in Italy and might have a have a bettter perspective on the Italian market. Also use the Search function an read the import threads there is a ton of info. Good luck in your search.
Old May 28th, 2014, 11:53 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

There are alot of resources to tap her on this subject. I've always wondered when it gets right down to it is it really cheaper to pay for a stateside NAS or a ROW overseas...dollar for dollar...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2014, 11:59 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
NAS is way more especially now. Yeah importation costs more now but there are still deals to be had on UK/RoW trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
There are alot of resources to tap her on this subject. I've always wondered when it gets right down to it is it really cheaper to pay for a stateside NAS or a ROW overseas...dollar for dollar...
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:01 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

So if you looked at ALL of the loaded costs...NAS would be cheaper...but like anything waiting for the right one is the hardest part. I know I was real lucky with my first purchase!

------ Follow up post added May 28th, 2014 11:06 PM ------

Ah yes- and Welcome Spencer...no more lurking like someone I know at British 4X4...ya cheap whore (said with the appropriate Scottish accent) lol.
Old May 29th, 2014, 01:00 AM
jwb
Jason
1988 110 CSW

Spencer,

I live in Germany and bought a early 110 in Italy a couple of years ago. It was posted on autoscout by an individual. At the time there were quite a few available but I've been looking for a friend and don't see nearly as many. I went in person and dealt with the debacle of Italian de-registration process first hand, then drove it home. Overall, it was a great experience and memorable drive back to Germany. If possible, try to find one that is registrated as a historic auto since the Italian vetting is fairly intense and will weed out the TDI upgrades.

PM me if you find one and want more info on how to de-register for export (you will likely have to explain the Italian process to an individual seller), or any other questions you may have. I'll be honest in that it will be much harder to do from afar unless you happen to find one at a dealer.

Cheers,
Jason
Old May 29th, 2014, 02:41 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
There are alot of resources to tap here on this subject. I've always wondered when it gets right down to it is it really cheaper to pay for a stateside NAS or a ROW overseas...dollar for dollar...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
NAS is way more especially now. Yeah importation costs more now but there are still deals to be had on UK/RoW trucks.
Quote:
So if you looked at ALL of the loaded costs...NAS would be cheaper...but like anything waiting for the right one is the hardest part. I know I was real lucky with my first purchase!

------ Follow up post added May 28th, 2014 11:06 PM ------

Ah yes- and Welcome Spencer...no more lurking like someone I know at British 4X4...ya cheap whore (said with the appropriate Scottish accent) lol.
How did you get that stateside NAS would be cheaper from Ren's response?
I interpret the information he gave as saying that the cost would be about equal, and potentially less to import a ROW because they can still be found with the lower purchase price.

Welcome Spencer and best wishes in your defender search
Old May 29th, 2014, 05:39 AM
Abu Buckwheat
Malcolm
2005 Defender 110 TD5 Station

A ROW is WAY cheaper depending on the original purchase price and condition of the car. NASs' top over well over $50,000 for a D90 these days on Ebay! I brought in my three 110s at near these prices:

Ro/Ro Shipper - $2,000-$3,000 (unless you use a container then it goes up to $5,000ish)
US Broker - $1,500
Customs Fees/Taxes - $200-500
Port Fees - $200-500

So anywhere between $3,500-$5,500 per car is about right.
Then add on top of that post-arrival repairs, registration and local taxes too.
Since its a Defender add the cost of having it trucked to your garage!
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:52 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
All depends on the truck you find overseas and whether or not it's legitimate. It's a costly mistake to have something shipped that ends up going back.

But I think ROW is cheaper for cost of entry and when you consider an 'affordable' NAS truck will still need a refit and repair to bring it up to par. You're almost at apples to apples.

If you buy a ROW at 10k; ship it for 5 you start at 15k (rust issues and problems abound).

If you buy a NAS for 30k at least you can look at it before you buy and know that you will recoup some of your investment should you rebuild any of it.

My 2 pence
Old May 29th, 2014, 08:58 PM
fujisd
Spencer
None

Thanks for the warm welcomes, suggestions, and opinions on importing from Italy. I was hoping to get one into the States for USD 10k, but maybe that's wishful thinking. I just want something to drive around in for a few years and then maybe if I have the time and extra money rebuild it. Maybe its a pipe dream, but i figured I better do it now before I get married and do the family thing in the near future!

JWB I might PM you if I do find something just to pick your brain. Thanks for the offer.

Daddymow, I was following your thread of putting a TDI in your 110 and that is exactly what I'd want to do if I got a 25 yo d90. Was really jealous reading it. Thanks for the suggestion of seeking out CubeII. Congrats on your engine swap!
Old May 29th, 2014, 10:04 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Thanks, dont give up, just have patience while you save your money. A deal will come along look to ExMods and check the classified here every day. Stuff like this http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=53798 and this http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=51852 pop up all the time. Hell the hunt is half the fun!

Raub
Old May 30th, 2014, 10:45 AM
1775NavyMike
Michael Fluent
1986 110

Spencer, I live in Italy and just bought a 1986 110 I will ship back when I go home. It is a pain in the but and nothing moves fast in Italy. It took me about 6-8 weeks start to finish once I found the truck I wanted and negotiated the price. The export process to get it in you name is quote an ordeal. The good news is there are nice trucks here; especially if you want a 90. It will cost you more than 10000 though (unless you are really lucky or get a truck that needs a lot of love). Let me know if I can help.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:38 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'm just curious how this thread is in Site Support and Suggestions ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 07:42 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
It's not ... You must be dreaming ;-)
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 2nd, 2014, 10:10 PM
fujisd
Spencer
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Sorry about that. It was my fault, I posted in the wrong section.

Thanks again for everyones responses. Hopefully I'll be able to find something this year!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender