It took 2 months... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 14th, 2009, 08:53 PM
CDN90
Tim
94 / D90 #79

It took 2 months...

It took 2 months...before i got enough nerve to drop the D90 in mud! I learned a few things like;

1. Wasnt just mud - Ice is like cement
  2. My Tires are crap - Interco Trxus MT 285/75/16 (Thinking of getting GEOlanders)
  3. For some reason i wasnt locking up in the rear 100% of the time (Any input would help - Detroit Locker)
  4. takes more than washing the truck twice to get all the mud off, uggg.
I made it about 80% through the PIT, but i think the ice blocks built up underneath and stopped me.

I must go back and avenge the mud and ice blocks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC130346autoherd.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	23715   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC130347autoherd.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	23716  

Name:	PC130348autoherd.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	23717   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC130349autoherd.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	23718  

Name:	PC130352autoherd.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	23719   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC130356autoherd.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	23720  

Name:	PC130363autoherd.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	23721   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC130365autoherd.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	23722  

Name:	PC130367autoherd.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	23723  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2009, 08:58 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Congrats on getting her dirty. It's addicting.. cleaning the mud off is never fun nor is it done in one wash... enjoy !
Old December 14th, 2009, 09:32 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Congrats on getting her dirty... A sprinkler under the truck for 30 minutes helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2009, 09:51 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Awesome! Good to see you working that old horse. It will now be muddy all the time and you will think... was my truck yellow at one time?
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old December 15th, 2009, 07:31 AM
stu454
Stu
2007 LR3

Mom voice on: "I'm always so proud when they go out for the first time".

Welcome to the sickness!
Old December 15th, 2009, 08:12 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Too much power-to-wait ratio. That is, you tried to power through a finesse situation. Nothing wrong with the tires, the equipment between the ears is what needs tuning. Practice. Part of the problem is that you dove in using the same line everyone else uses. Try going one side or the other of the deep ruts. The tires you have probably didn't go deep enough to find the bottom, especially if ice is damming up under the front. Then you only have rear wheel drive and those were likely very lightly loaded so no motion forward, even with the diff locked. Larger trucks with taller tires tend to make deep mud like this difficult for smaller tires. Glad to see you enjoying the truck...that's why they are so well loved.
And please don't send any more pictures of you being pulled out by a Chevy. I recommend getting a high lift jack and do some self recovery drills with it. A tree strap and some ground stakes too. When you are good with those, a mud hole won't seem like such a big deal. Getting out of a stuck is half the fun.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 15th, 2009, 08:43 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Smile

Wasnt just mud - Ice is like cement.
Ice will do as much damage as rocks be careful when bouncing into a frozen hole, ask me how i know.
My Tires are crap - Interco Trxus MT 285/75/16 (Thinking of getting GEOlanders)
Heard the tires worked well if you where damed up then no tire would have worked I had the Geolanders and liked them.

For some reason i wasnt locking up in the rear 100% of the time (Any input would help - Detroit Locker)
I think The detroit needs to spool up

takes more than washing the truck twice to get all the mud off, uggg
Part of the fun for me is washing the truck and seeing how much mud runs down the drive.

The more you wheel the better you and the truck will perform

congrats
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fall heritage1209.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	23737  
Old December 17th, 2009, 01:20 PM
CDN90
Tim
94 / D90 #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKilo23
Congrats on getting her dirty. It's addicting.. cleaning the mud off is never fun nor is it done in one wash... enjoy !
Thanks, Very Addictive! more so than my Starbucks Fix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
Congrats on getting her dirty... A sprinkler under the truck for 30 minutes helps.
Yes, great idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88
Awesome! Good to see you working that old horse. It will now be muddy all the time and you will think... was my truck yellow at one time?
I kept the mud on for 2 days a drove around like i was a tough guy in the big city...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu454
Mom voice on: "I'm always so proud when they go out for the first time".

Welcome to the sickness!
Ha, Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea
Too much power-to-wait ratio. That is, you tried to power through a finesse situation. Nothing wrong with the tires, the equipment between the ears is what needs tuning. Practice. Part of the problem is that you dove in using the same line everyone else uses. Try going one side or the other of the deep ruts. The tires you have probably didn't go deep enough to find the bottom, especially if ice is damming up under the front. Then you only have rear wheel drive and those were likely very lightly loaded so no motion forward, even with the diff locked. Larger trucks with taller tires tend to make deep mud like this difficult for smaller tires. Glad to see you enjoying the truck...that's why they are so well loved.
And please don't send any more pictures of you being pulled out by a Chevy. I recommend getting a high lift jack and do some self recovery drills with it. A tree strap and some ground stakes too. When you are good with those, a mud hole won't seem like such a big deal. Getting out of a stuck is half the fun.
Great advise thanks, the tires were more of a problem on the tree stumps and rocks when we hit the trail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron
Wasnt just mud - Ice is like cement.
Ice will do as much damage as rocks be careful when bouncing into a frozen hole, ask me how i know.
My Tires are crap - Interco Trxus MT 285/75/16 (Thinking of getting GEOlanders)
Heard the tires worked well if you where damed up then no tire would have worked I had the Geolanders and liked them.

For some reason i wasnt locking up in the rear 100% of the time (Any input would help - Detroit Locker)
I think The detroit needs to spool up

takes more than washing the truck twice to get all the mud off, uggg
Part of the fun for me is washing the truck and seeing how much mud runs down the drive.

The more you wheel the better you and the truck will perform

congrats
Thanks for the detailed reply, yeah the ice was a bit much...i was amazed to seee so many parts from trucks sitting on or next to the trail. Next time i will try to be more technical. Ha.
Old December 17th, 2009, 01:45 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN90
takes more than washing the truck twice to get all the mud off, uggg.
Tim, one hour of driving in Vancouver should wash all the mud off with the amount of rain you get out there. But seriously, the truck looks great with the black wing tops. Watch out for the ice. It's stronger that stainless brake line connections and can get in there to screw up your day. That and you don't know what else is buried in the mud.

Have you taken it up to Sunrise Lake yet? The V-rock would be a perfect test for the suspension, lockers, and your nerve. You almost can't tip it over but your heart will be pounding on the way down.
Old December 18th, 2009, 10:48 PM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

If your anal like i am about keeping it clean after use, get about 3 cans of PAM and spray it everywhere prior to a mud feast. Most of the mud wont stick and what does will wash off easy...
Old December 18th, 2009, 11:01 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90DRC
If your anal like i am about keeping it clean after use, get about 3 cans of PAM and spray it everywhere prior to a mud feast. Most of the mud wont stick and what does will wash off easy...
The mud is the fun part, why would you want to remove it so quick, a pressure washer gets it rights off. I can understand if your talking about the underside though.
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:10 AM
CDN90
Tim
94 / D90 #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrad
Tim, one hour of driving in Vancouver should wash all the mud off with the amount of rain you get out there. But seriously, the truck looks great with the black wing tops. Watch out for the ice. It's stronger that stainless brake line connections and can get in there to screw up your day. That and you don't know what else is buried in the mud.

Have you taken it up to Sunrise Lake yet? The V-rock would be a perfect test for the suspension, lockers, and your nerve. You almost can't tip it over but your heart will be pounding on the way down.
Haha, Yes it rains here a lot...Had a great time but i think i will practise a bit more before i tackle Sunrise Lake in the winter! I found some youtube video's of it and it looks insane! My fav was this one...funny but i felt the pain:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90DRC
Great Idea! for all the nooks that the mud likes to hide in! Tomorrow i turn the sprinkler on the underneath!
Old December 19th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN90
Great advise thanks, the tires were more of a problem on the tree stumps and rocks when we hit the trail....
You are running too high a pressure in the tire. Much more of tire traction is to do with pressure than anything else.

12 psi would be a good starting point for that size of tire.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat