IT question - Mobo /CPU for Windows Server VDI host? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 6th, 2016, 11:40 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
IT question - Mobo /CPU for Windows Server VDI host?

Hi folks,

I'd like to set up a windows server 2012 R2 machine to run up to 4 VDI's for business (scientific computing, but that's not really relevant.)

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best value (cheapest for performance) combo of mobo and cpu(s) for the host?

I'm probably going to provision each VDI with 4 GB of RAM which isn't really spectacular.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2016, 03:17 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Why not just set them up on AWS and shut them down when not in use .... You'll avoid the capital investment and have access to dirt cheap storage etc
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old March 7th, 2016, 06:59 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
If you can afford SuperMicro MB buy them they are the best.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2016, 01:04 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
If it doesn't need server-style redundancy, I'd get an older cad/graphics design workstation. A lot of those guys need the latest and greatest every couple of years, so you can pick up a good one on ebay for $300 or so.

I've got a Dell T5500 with 72GB of RAM and two quad core CPU. I'd recommend the larger T7500 (or whatever their more current model numbers are) because they hold more HDD, and video cards fit in them better.
Old March 7th, 2016, 01:19 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Why not just set them up on AWS and shut them down when not in use .... You'll avoid the capital investment and have access to dirt cheap storage etc
I second a cloud-based approach. For VDI, a public cloud instance works great. I personally prefer Google Cloud but that's because I like their Container Engine. AWS is great, too. If you're new to public cloud, Digital Ocean is a great pick--reliable and affordable and very simple to use. Rackspace Cloud is good, too, but their pricing is outdated. Discoweb runs there.

I used to love Supermicro MBs and homebuilt servers but when things go wrong, you're left doing hardware diagnostics and eBaying new components. It's too much of a pain in the ass unless your application absolutely demands on-site presence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old March 7th, 2016, 01:39 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Thanks guys...I've looked at EC2 and Workspaces (not google cloud yet, thanks Chris) but they're not cheap for actual daily sit-down use. Well, I guess they are cheap in certain scenarios (like if I needed slaves for an MPI job), but the pricelists for dedicated VDI-style usage seem to suggest $50/month/seat with not a whole lot of storage, or somewhere around $200/month or $2400 a year. Am I pricing this stuff wrong?

But besides the price, I have the need to actually have my own physical server because the users need to share access to National Instruments DAQmx hardware locally through RS-422 and USB (NI-6008s), which is the biggest issue. Data comes in through those sources as well, so I need to have the drives on the machine.
Old March 7th, 2016, 02:37 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Yeah, if you're needing to share access to local hardware, forget about the cloud.

Here is the vendor we like to use for Supermicro servers for in-house stuff: https://www.8anet.com/

The website is stuck in 2003 and the domain is horrible but they build good machines.

/
/
/
/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
window, windows