It has finally happened for all of us.... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 6th, 2007, 06:05 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I really enjoyed the magazine and look forward to future issues. I used to subscribe to a few 4 wheeler magazines but have since stopped. Overlander fills the void perfectly. There are few magazines that I would consider it's peer, the only ones that come to mind are Surfers Journal and www.alpinist.com Alpinist captures the soul of climbing. Overlander is close on Overlanders heels to capturing the same type of feeling and soul.

Good job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Negative Earth
Jonathan Hanson
1974 88
D-90 Source Vendor

Thanks!

Thanks to all of you for those kind comments. We will stay on the ball to continually improve Overland Journal. The next issue will feature a great story by Tom Collins about the scouting trip for the 1994 Camel Trophy, and another by Stephen Bodio about Mongolian falconers who fly golden eagles. Good stuff.

Mark, we'll take your suggestions seriously.
Old June 8th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by expeditionswest
and Tom Sheppard has provided a technical piece on digital photography while on expedition
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Negative Earth
Jonathan Hanson
1974 88
D-90 Source Vendor

Oh yeah, that guy too!
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:08 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
Hey Scott,
I loved the write up on Graham Jackson's 110 modification in the "...dark continent" article, but I would love to hear more about the unseen modifications he did. On his website, he refers to a custom steel box mounted on the frame that he used to hold enough quarts of oil for a full change. I'm very interested in that mod.

I think it would rock if we could have the editorial staff leverage this forum, or some forum to interact with the readers, on the dozens of follow up questions (at least from me) that will occur after each issue. Maybe we could add a new section in here on overland something, something for that purpose.
Mark, the expedition portal is the forum that i think you're interested in. Very good information there and a lot of info sharing.
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
David,
My goal is to make this site the center of the universe , but I'll check it out.
Old June 8th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
in advance of the 2nd issue of overland journal, which will give us some expert guidance on expedition photography (which i could use because my pictures suck), take a look at this most excellent slide show put together by a south american expedition guide company that traveled to patagonia in argentina earlier this year in a 110. the photography is amazing.

http://www.terraultimaexpeditions.com/expedition/

I need to get my rig dirty somewhere soon...
Old June 21st, 2007, 03:52 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
This magazine is better than anything I've ever subscribed to. Totally worth it for just the pics alone! I've been carrying it around with me for three days now showing it off.
One question though, did you guys recieve your hat, stickers, etc...because I did not. Maybe it'll show up in the mail though. Normally I don't care about that kind of bonus garbage, but this magazine is something for Rover fans to be proud of. I didn't see one Wrangler in the whole thing (thank God), and that is hard to do for a 4wd magazine!
Keep the great pics of all the Rovers and cool articles coming. Top Notch!

BTW-I went out and bought 2 Maxpedition bags today. They are perfect for shooting/shoving all my stuff into. I highly reccomend picking up a bag or two if you occasionally use a backpack. These bags are so much better.

97 D90 SW
Old June 26th, 2007, 10:08 PM
expeditionswest
Scott Brady
2007/Defender 110

Thanks

Thanks again for all of the support and to those that became Charter Subscribers. The second issue is nearly finished and includes expeditions in Mongolia, South America, Utah, etc. The South American expedition is part one of the Camel Trophy prescout of the 1994 event, writen by Tom Collins. Lots more Defender love there

Just an FYI, but the Charter Subscriber program ends in three days (June 30th). This will be the last chance to get the hat, decal and the Premier Issue.

Thanks again for supporting our independent publication.

Old June 27th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Ok, I am in too, just pulled the trigger. Looks like it will be a wonderful cross between National Geographic and an offroad mag. that writes about more than lifts and rock crawling. I also like the fact it is not vehicle specific. I own a D90 and a Wrangler, and love all things Cruiser, Scout, Unimog, Bronco, Hummer, etc. (But let's see lots of Rovers ok?)
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:01 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Decent rag. Less bling, more adventure.

Looking forward to the rebuild of the old series bugeye.

A great project would be to build that thing up and then take it on . . . . an overland expedition!
Old June 28th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Negative Earth
Jonathan Hanson
1974 88
D-90 Source Vendor

That's exactly what I intend to do, Ron.
Old June 28th, 2007, 11:33 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Thanks for the reminder.. I just signed up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by expeditionswest
Thanks again for all of the support and to those that became Charter Subscribers. The second issue is nearly finished and includes expeditions in Mongolia, South America, Utah, etc. The South American expedition is part one of the Camel Trophy prescout of the 1994 event, writen by Tom Collins. Lots more Defender love there

Just an FYI, but the Charter Subscriber program ends in three days (June 30th). This will be the last chance to get the hat, decal and the Premier Issue.

Thanks again for supporting our independent publication.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old June 28th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
that decal is sweet!
Old July 9th, 2007, 02:05 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

When do we get the hat and the decal? Got my first edition today, really want to read it, but I have too much work to do at the moment...bummer.
Old July 9th, 2007, 02:06 PM
expeditionswest
Scott Brady
2007/Defender 110

The hats and decals ship with the Summer issue, which is just a few weeks away

Old July 9th, 2007, 08:09 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

Thanks, looking forward to it.
Old July 12th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
My first issue was waiting for me in the mailbox last night. I got in trouble with wifey and 3 yr old son for not playing or conversing because I was buried in this mag all night. I played it smart and did NOT bring it to work today... Kudos, great mag!!!!!
Old July 31st, 2007, 07:19 PM
Negative Earth
Jonathan Hanson
1974 88
D-90 Source Vendor

Summer issue on the way

The summer issue has printed and will be shipped shortly. There's a preview here:

http://www.overlandjournal.com/

If you haven't yet subscribed, you're missing out. This issue includes a story by Tom Collins about the 1994 Camel Trophy pre-scout trip in South America.

Thanks to those who've already signed up!

Jonathan
Old July 31st, 2007, 09:12 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Earth
The summer issue has printed and will be shipped shortly. There's a preview here:

http://www.overlandjournal.com/

If you haven't yet subscribed, you're missing out. This issue includes a story by Tom Collins about the 1994 Camel Trophy pre-scout trip in South America.

Thanks to those who've already signed up!

Jonathan
Any chance some of us slackers could still get the first edition and a sticker if we sign up this week?

Scott

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat