Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 1st, 2012, 09:59 AM
belgian
Maxim
1995 RRC SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stAirborne View Post
If anyone is still looking for an island to occupy....

www.privateislandsonline.com
Now thats nice... anyone here willing to buy that and having us over as visitors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2012, 10:25 AM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
But I like my M1A for some more whop.

I know, I've got an FAL for the "hard to bring down" zombies...308 is the best "all round" cartridge.....then I've got a 6.5-06 with 28" bull barrel for dropping "far, far away" zombies....and to round it off, a 45-70 loaded with 450 grain hardcast for the "elephant zombies"
Old June 1st, 2012, 10:53 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I'm curious for Gunmaker's opinion on this...!?! IMO a nice 444 lever action Brush rifle does nicely, a tad overkill but its all good...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2012, 11:18 AM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
I'm curious for Gunmaker's opinion on this...!?! IMO a nice 444 lever action Brush rifle does nicely, a tad overkill but its all good...

I love lever guns too...Love my 1895 Guide Gun, the 45-70 can be loaded with with light bullets (I like the 325 gr FTX) and loaded lightly for all day plinking....or you can load up some nuclear loads with 400-450 grain and blow sh*t up...just be ready for the "purple shoulder"..

Although lately I've been spending more time on a 1894 in 45LC, it's like a 45-70 in that you can load "cowboy" loads that kick about as much as a 22 or stoke 'em up to 44 mag power and blast away....funny how two of the world's oldest cartridges are the most versatile...

------ Follow up post added June 1st, 2012 11:22 AM ------

Now if I could build/acquire a levergun in 10mm I would be a VERY happy camper.
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:23 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I'm thinking that a farm combine may just be the best way to clear out zombies from a neighborhood. put a PA on it so you can draw them out in the street and go to town.
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:23 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
5.56mm...lots of it.
Backed up with 5.45mm.
I'm a long gun fan, mainly b/c most of my adult life pistols are just something I wear to the chow hall b/c I don't want to carry the real stuff around the FOB.

The often stupid, yet sometimes entertaining, 'Sons of Guns' had an interesting show that postured that for a true undead attack .22 would be a good alternative since you're talking head shots in rapid succession to be totally effective. While all of this is an absurd discussion, the test weapon they used as at least interesting and would be a fun plinker (http://www.redjacketfirearms.com/ind...mart&Itemid=19)

As an aside, I love the commentary by some folks about the cop that shot the face eater in Miami. "He should have tazed him". Right. Naked dude eating another dude's face who growls when told to stop. I think escalating to deadly force without passing go was totally the right choice.
r-
Ray
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:31 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
I think escalating to deadly force without passing go was totally the right choice.
r-
Ray
I'm with him. F' the tazer. Some people just need to die.
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:57 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

yeah like the folks in CLT that cant drive....I'm surprised you didn't punish him!
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:00 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
oops, wrong thread!
Old June 1st, 2012, 01:17 PM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

I'm a long gun fan, mainly b/c most of my adult life pistols are just something I wear to the chow hall b/c I don't want to carry the real stuff around the FOB.

Ray[/QUOTE]

Now see thats where I will have to beg the differ with ya. I think most of the Zombie shooting will be done close and personal. Long guns are just to unwieldy. I have been shooting USPSA and IPSC since 2005 and it's great training when they come. My STI Grandmaster 38 super race gun with Cmore red dot scope fits the bill. Shoots 1490 fps. I carry 4 mags that hold 22 rounds and one that holds 28 rounds. Lots of fire power. lol And talk about accurate 12 plates on a plate rack in 5.4 seconds. 15 yards it will put all 22 rounds in a 1" hole. Don't get me wrong I love my Rock river and my AR10. But I'm probably with some of the 22 shooter also. I have a Ruger 10/22 set uo with a Volquertsen carbon fiber barrel. And a Promag 50 round drum magazine. 2500 rounds of 22 ammo. Easy to carry shit load of that compared to the 7.62 ammo. Plus if you need to shoot a rabbit or squirrel for dinner there will be some meat left to eat with the .22

Ray you better start shooting those pistols!

------ Follow up post added June 1st, 2012 05:25 PM ------

I guess if things get really bad and i don't get that TDI I can always ride my horses. Won't have to worry about finding petro. lol And then if they get worse I can throw them on the spit.
Old June 1st, 2012, 01:28 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Colt 6933 --> zombie killer of choice
Old June 1st, 2012, 01:57 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I guess if things get really bad and i don't get that TDI I can always ride my horses. Won't have to worry about finding petro. lol And then if they get worse I can throw them on the spit.[/QUOTE]

Use folks strengths...see Ray can take position on the tower!
Old June 1st, 2012, 02:24 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by winn442 View Post

I love lever guns too...Love my 1895 Guide Gun, the 45-70 can be loaded with with light bullets (I like the 325 gr FTX) and loaded lightly for all day plinking....or you can load up some nuclear loads with 400-450 grain and blow sh*t up...just be ready for the "purple shoulder"
My 45-70 load is the Garrett Cartridge 540 grain moving at 1550 fps....

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/4570540tech.html

taking it deer hunting this year just for S&G. Some people on the forum have seen the toy and the ammo...
Old June 1st, 2012, 02:33 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Check this out, this bath salt/soap stuff I've actually seen. They've banned them for sale here in LA but I remember the gf showing me a box of this stuff that her friend (who owned a tatoo shop) gave to her. She said he could't sell it any longer so he just gave her the whole box. I remember seeing a gel back that had a picture of an alien on it, it said put in hot water etc. Pretty much a lot of packaging with funny logos and gel like liquids in them. She said he told her your suppost to swallow the the stuff and you get high but that they package it like a bubble bath gel to conceal the fact that it is a drug. She gave them all to her younger brother, don't know what he did with them. Mabye his friends are zombies now?

Robert Deniro
Old June 1st, 2012, 02:38 PM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
Garrett's stuff is bad ass....hard to justify the price though when I have a lifetime supply of WW lead, plus casting bullets and loading ammo is almost as therapeutic as working on Rovers....
Old June 1st, 2012, 02:54 PM
MikeRuby
Mike Ruby
'95 D90 #2523

Nantucket! Thirty miles out to sea, easily defensible, plenty of pristine condition 90s and 110s to scavenge from their bleeding-heart yuppie owners... the only problem is rust... after the dust settles, the rest of us will be killing each other for the limited supply of waxoyl and POR 15 in my basement.
Old June 1st, 2012, 02:57 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by winn442 View Post
Garrett's stuff is bad ass....hard to justify the price though when I have a lifetime supply of WW lead, plus casting bullets and loading ammo is almost as therapeutic as working on Rovers....
Love to reload myself. I have spent a lot of time with my 300 win mag... I am at 1/2" at 100 yards on a regular basis.... The Garrett stuff kicks like a mule... I have about "25" gallons of 12 gauge ammo as well....
Old June 1st, 2012, 04:18 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Brain eating zombie:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/31...est=latestnews
Old June 1st, 2012, 05:56 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post

Now see thats where I will have to beg the differ with ya. I think most of the Zombie shooting will be done close and personal. Long guns are just to unwieldy. I have been shooting USPSA and IPSC since 2005 and it's great training when they come. My STI Grandmaster 38 super race gun with Cmore red dot scope fits the bill. Shoots 1490 fps. I carry 4 mags that hold 22 rounds and one that holds 28 rounds. Lots of fire power. lol And talk about accurate 12 plates on a plate rack in 5.4 seconds. 15 yards it will put all 22 rounds in a 1" hole. Don't get me wrong I love my Rock river and my AR10. But I'm probably with some of the 22 shooter also. I have a Ruger 10/22 set uo with a Volquertsen carbon fiber barrel. And a Promag 50 round drum magazine. 2500 rounds of 22 ammo. Easy to carry shit load of that compared to the 7.62 ammo. Plus if you need to shoot a rabbit or squirrel for dinner there will be some meat left to eat with the .22

I guess if things get really bad and i don't get that TDI I can always ride my horses. Won't have to worry about finding petro. lol And then if they get worse I can throw them on the spit.
Dana-
Did we talk about this at Spruce Cabin? I swear we did-or I did with somebody...
I have plenty of time with pistols, both standard b.s. range time as well as a variety of courses focused on in extremis shooting situations (room clearing, compromise drills, etc); that doesn't change my feeling that if push comes to shove I'll go 2 to the chest and 1 to the head all day long with my M4 and go to the G19 when I run out the mags for the primary. Eotech w/77gr BHP is a beautiful thing at close range.

As far as .22 goes, not a problem...as I have a .22 upper for the M4, as well as the toy(s) (MP5SD in .22, 10-22 shortly, etc).

Good discussion though, always interesting to hear different people's thoughts-we're all shaped by experience.
r-
Ray
Old June 1st, 2012, 06:21 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Yeah so which would be more fun, the 444 Marlin round or a regular .223?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120601-00304.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	52465  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat