Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 24th, 2014, 03:57 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
Interesting that you wanted to go KC; talk about an under appreciated asset-an often overlooked critical difference between what we do compared to pretty much everyone else is big wing tanking (among a few others of course).
I never cared for the glam and glory of fighters or bombers.

I look back and wish I had gone into the service. My grandfather was USAF from 1934 to 64. He flew B17, B26, B29, B36, and finally the B47.
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2014, 08:12 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
That's kind of funny considering if I had gone into the Air Force like I wanted, I wanted to fly the A-10. My next choice would have been the KC135.
Excellent second choice!

As far as A-10s go. They are old and are planned to be replaced by the F35. Everybody says nothing can replace them but it can and will be replaced. As much as people love them they will end up going away from active duty eventually.
Old September 24th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Abu Buckwheat
Malcolm
2005 Defender 110 TD5 Station

My vote is B-1s dropping a cluster of JDAMs with drone targeting and Battle Damage Assessment support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2014, 11:46 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW View Post
F-22's have been turning Russians around in Alaska for years. The pilots say when they pull up beside them all the Russians take pictures of them to show the folks back home.

Of course they don't have any idea the F-22 is in the neighborhood until it shows up at their wingtip...
I remember seeing your truck parked at Plant 6 and all the F-22's

A-10 is my favorite "modern" aircraft
Old September 24th, 2014, 12:15 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
What is in-line to replace the A-10 as I don't see the F-35 fitting the bill as certain congressmen want us to believe. Similar to when the A-1 was phased out by the A-6 and A-7. That plan didn't pan out until the A-10 came along. Guess the A-10 and A-1 can trace their survivability to the P-47 which defined the concept of tough, survivable aircraft with large ordnance loads that can loiter around. This capability needs to carry forward. This sure gave my dad a piece of mind knowing a sortie of Skyraiders were out when flying missions in the F-8.
Old September 24th, 2014, 02:18 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
What is in-line to replace the A-10 as I don't see the F-35 fitting the bill as certain congressmen want us to believe. Similar to when the A-1 was phased out by the A-6 and A-7. That plan didn't pan out until the A-10 came along. Guess the A-10 and A-1 can trace their survivability to the P-47 which defined the concept of tough, survivable aircraft with large ordnance loads that can loiter around. This capability needs to carry forward. This sure gave my dad a piece of mind knowing a sortie of Skyraiders were out when flying missions in the F-8.
You might not see the F-35 in that role but it is going to be fulfilled by it. Plenty of aircraft with specific capabilities get chopped all the time. MH-53 and F-111 are two that come to my mind. Some of the C-5s capabilities were replaced with the C-17. It's what happens. Aircraft don't last forever and need to be replaced.

On top of that the NSS outlines every bit of doctrine down the line. If the goals set out by the gov't don't have a direct need for something it's hard to keep it around.

On the other hand, the U-2 is consistently on the chopping block but it stays relavent and necessary despite the Global Hawk having the same capabilities(which it doesn't).

My prediction is that the A-10 will transition from active duty and be replaced by the F-35. The F-35 will fulfill the A-10s role eventually after some growing pains from CAS pilots learning non-CAS skills and non-CAS pilots learning CAS skills(loads of different fighter back grounds are flying the F-35 and they all need to learn the same skill sets). The A-10 will probably go to the Guard/Reserve as the AF won't want the Army to take them.
Old September 24th, 2014, 02:47 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
On top of that the NSS outlines every bit of doctrine down the line. If the goals set out by the gov't don't have a direct need for something it's hard to keep it around.
All good points.

I am not a fan of a vertical cuts and do hope the NG units continue to operate them semi-autonomously until they are activated for deployment as recently announced. The A-10 needs to hang around until we are out of the middle east.

Gov't goals.... I'm in the camp believing the USAF wants to drop this effective, but relatively cheap and low-tech airframe to justify their future bloated budgets. Enough of this luxury spending. Sort of like Boehner working the system for additional funding for the alternative engine the F-35 doesn't even need.

Recall Kim Campbell's quote after landing, "You should have seen the other guy." That about sums it up. Not so sure the F-35 would have this luxury...
Old September 24th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
A-10 strength is low, slow, big guns and can take a hit. I don't see the F35 doing all of that.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old September 25th, 2014, 02:18 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Just for the sake of argument, the NSS doesn't lay out procurement persay, it outlines national objectives that then segue into the NMS which feeds JCIDS & PPBE.

I only say that because it would be a misnomer to say that the National Security Strategy is the reason why the A-10 is going away in favor of the F-35A/B/C. One could argue that the NSS actually leaves a lot of room for capabilities like the A-10 that are robust, cheap, and low intensity friendly.

But now we're nerding out big time.

Oh, and since we were talking about the strikes, bear in mind that probable CBU delivery could have been her:
http://www.businessinsider.com/first...e-pilot-2014-9
Or maybe even the Saudi Crown Prince's son:
http://www.thenational.ae/world/midd...a-isil-attacks

Better to have them doing it with us well than us do it alone perfectly...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crown Prince son f15.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	103648Click image for larger version

Name:	uae pilot.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	103649

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat