Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

Is your dash cluttered?...Stereo & Navigation Solutions

I truly hate the clutter of my dash:
(1) independent navigation unit
(2) power cord for navigation unit
(3) power cord for iphone
(4) aux wire from iphone to stereo input

Now, I know I can eliminate 3 of the 4 accessories by installing a double DIN stereo…at the cost of ~$1,000...not including the necessary dash MODs. However, I struggle making the investment in the double DIN stereo/Nav system when:
(a) none have the full functionality of the iphone
(b) can't evolve as the iphone does with regular software updates.

At this point, I would prefer to install an iphone compatible permanent touch screen in the dash and simply use the iphone as the brain for the head unit/nav system. Sure, the iphone systems are not perfect either…but it’s getting better every day and I am more likely to upgrade my phone rather than change out my car head unit every few years.

Now, I know I am oversimplifying with the design I suggest, as one would still need to be able to hook up speakers and potentially set it up to accept FM/AM signal. Whatever the case, the only obsolescence in the design I suggest is the screen itself.

While the highly anticipated ipad mini is supposed to make its debut this Fall and could resolve many of my concerns, I believe the device would be susceptible to failure due to high temperatures, not to mention theft if left in the car.

If an iphone compatible touch screen application like the one I suggest exists, please point me in the right direction…If not, let's go into business together!

Also, please feel free to post pics of your head unit/ nav solution as well as any advantages, disadvantages and/or enhancement wishes you may have.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2012, 12:43 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
For one, you can get rid of the aux wire from your iPhone by simply having a head unit that has the USB port - this way it both charges your phone and plays the music from your phone. My Pioneer has this.

Additionally, there are plenty of mounts out there for the iPhone, iPad, potentially iPad mini, etc. for your car(s) that would mean if you are using one of those as your primary interface for maps, music, etc. you will only be running a single cord to your head unit if you decide you don't want to hard-wire the power source for your iPad/Phone. You've probably heard already that the pin connection on the new iPhones coming out is changing once again, so it is simply much easier to update the white removable USB/cord than to update a hard-wired solution, in my opinion. When not in use, lock it in your Tuffy - potential for theft decreases substantially.
Old August 27th, 2012, 12:51 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I connect my Iphone via bluetooth to my head unit.... only when it needs a charge do need a wire.

I also run some aux the wires through the ash tray. I need to have a custom ash tray lid made to dress it up though...

Old August 27th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
For one, you can get rid of the aux wire from your iPhone by simply having a head unit that has the USB port - this way it both charges your phone and plays the music from your phone. My Pioneer has this.
I currently have the USB too...but then I am forced to use the stereo's iphone controls...which suck. So I don't = 2 cords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Additionally, there are plenty of mounts out there for the iPhone, iPad, potentially iPad mini, etc. for your car(s) that would mean if you are using one of those as your primary interface for maps, music, etc. you will only be running a single cord to your head unit if you decide you don't want to hard-wire the power source for your iPad/Phone. You've probably heard already that the pin connection on the new iPhones coming out is changing once again, so it is simply much easier to update the white removable USB/cord than to update a hard-wired solution, in my opinion. When not in use, lock it in your Tuffy - potential for theft decreases substantially.
Are you saying the head unit will display the iphone screen?...or is the iphone now the screen, in place of the head unit screen? If the latter, I agree this is possible, but you do list the challenges, not to mention the small iphone screen.

Thanks for the suggestion...keep them ideas coming.
Old August 27th, 2012, 01:14 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Buy a map and pull it out when you need directions. Two things gone. Delete the radio and you won't have to deal with the other two. I think people should have to suffer with obnoxious wires for having to use a GPS to navigate.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old August 27th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris

Lmao
Old August 27th, 2012, 01:23 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

PM sent. I have a crazy idea.
Old August 27th, 2012, 01:31 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Vitale View Post
Lmao
I have no real suggestions though. I'm only just now getting into GPS nav and smart phones. I think I'm going to just use the iPhone for as much as possible. I don't like most sat navs but this app Waze is getting the job done so far.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old August 27th, 2012, 01:38 PM
D110DC
Pete
66 SIIA, 70 IIA, 97 D90

Registry
Blutooth up to one of these:

No wires, no mess. USB in center console if want to charge the iPhone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LR CarPC.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	56585  

1966 ECR Series IIA
1970 Series IIA (Stella)
1997 D90 ST
2011 LR4 HSE
2010 Range Rover Supercharged

Sadly gone (some more sadly than others):
1983 D110 Double Cab 300 TDi
1989 RRC
1996 D1
2006 LR3
2008 RR
Old August 27th, 2012, 01:53 PM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

For GPS, I hardwired a garmin power cable and ran it up behind the dash and out through the ashtray via a small rubber grommet. It works great and is easily accessable. When the GPS is not in use, I just close the ashtray and the clutter is gone. I'll post some pictures later today.
Old August 27th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris

Pete: What system are you running?

Jeff: I think I have seen a pic of this MOD done somewhere. Very clever use of space.
Old August 27th, 2012, 02:12 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
I currently have the USB too...but then I am forced to use the stereo's iphone controls...which suck. So I don't = 2 cords.
How old is your head unit? As long as it's pretty new, they should both be fully compatible with one another. For example, with my radio you can use both the head unit or the iPhone controls when playing from your iPhone - the same goes for when using the phone to play Pandora, iHeart Radio, etc. - basically any app that plays music is also compatible using the iPhone screen or the head unit.

Quote:
Are you saying the head unit will display the iphone screen?...or is the iphone now the screen, in place of the head unit screen? If the latter, I agree this is possible, but you do list the challenges, not to mention the small iphone screen.

Thanks for the suggestion...keep them ideas coming.
My head unit (sort of like this - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/DEH-6400BT ) will tell you limited information on what is playing on the phone, such as the artist, album, song, etc., but that's about it - it will not display the actual iPhone screen.

There are also head units with multiple USB ports in the BACK, so that you can run and charge mutiple devices at once and also hide the cords at the same time - say you have an iPad or iPad mini, you just run the removable wire where you'd like, and all of the wires are basically hidden from sight. But basically what I was saying is that there are multiple mounts available on the market to be able to mount an iPad/iPhone/future iPad mini similar to how I think Jefferson has his. Yes, the iPhone screen is too small for many to use as a GPS, but you were talking about iPad/mini which will have a larger screen. And with the USB connection, as long as they are compatible with one another, you should be able to run everything from your iPad/mini and just use the head unit as the conduit for controls, sound and charging. By running a cord, you are versatile when there are updates to the pin count connections, as long as they all use the USB connection on the head unit.
Old August 27th, 2012, 02:16 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Your on the right track with that argument. It is also being made within the auto industry circles. I read a couple of articles this past month that they were worried over the ability to upgrade/keeping up with the developments that personal phones do every month now. As soon as they install in their cars its obsolete before it gets off the assembly line. Whats leading this is the music and navigation.

What they are thinking of is just having an open screen, if you will. Then just having an industry standard port, or wireless interaction. That way people can use the navigation,social maps, music, etc from their phone.
Old August 27th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Whoever comes up with a nicely designed flush mounting multi USB power outlet rather than the semi hacks we have now is on to a winner

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 27th, 2012, 02:31 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Whoever comes up with a nicely designed flush mounting multi USB power outlet rather than the semi hacks we have now is on to a winner
There are a few out there that could be integrated into the stock dash fairly easily
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris

When I read "open screen"...I began to have flash images of the MLK "I have a dream" speech...but edited for this "open screen" of course. something along the lines of: one day we will be free from wires and overpriced, obsolete, constricting stereo/nav head units!"

I want all the freedom of my iphone, in my D90 dash!...Neatly packaged and factory looking too!

On a side note: It would be cool to have the ability to skype too…I would put a camera looking into the cab that could be reversed to look ahead too… This way I could enjoy watch my wife scream obscenities at the monitor, in real-time, as I take our D90 off a cliff!

Hey…one can dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
Your on the right track with that argument. It is also being made within the auto industry circles. I read a couple of articles this past month that they were worried over the ability to upgrade/keeping up with the developments that personal phones do every month now. As soon as they install in their cars its obsolete before it gets off the assembly line. Whats leading this is the music and navigation.

What they are thinking of is just having an open screen, if you will. Then just having an industry standard port, or wireless interaction. That way people can use the navigation,social maps, music, etc from their phone.
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:20 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

True, but the next set of trails I take you on, there is no way you'll have time to look at a screen. Your eyes will be focused straight ahead and your knuckles will be white. I promise.
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Here is the new Clarion unit that is really just a screen that controls the iphone.
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...594573422.html
Also there is the kicker product.
http://www.kicker.com/pxi502
There has to be a number of other guys coming out with this type of product. I think the new mini-ipad will be the perfect fit for in car. I hear that will be revealed/launched in 10 days along with the new iphone.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris

LOL. I believe it...You Mainers are F-ing nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR View Post
True, but the next set of trails I take you on, there is no way you'll have time to look at a screen. Your eyes will be focused straight ahead and your knuckles will be white. I promise.
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris

Very nice finds.

I especially like the Kicker unit to power the system with an iphone. Seems that this is only for a motorcycle as it only has two channels though.

But I am sure one exists for 4+ channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese_D90 View Post
Here is the new Clarion unit that is really just a screen that controls the iphone.
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...594573422.html
Also there is the kicker product.
http://www.kicker.com/pxi502
There has to be a number of other guys coming out with this type of product. I think the new new mini-ipad will be the perfect fit for in car. I hear that will be revealed/launched in 10 days along with the new iphone.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
dash, stereo