Is your dash cluttered?...Stereo & Navigation Solutions - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 27th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
I think both of them are going in the right direction. I would expect more competition where the head unit is lost and you have an amp and a bit of software with a control screen like Clarion is doing. Its basically an iphone brain with a simplified graphic interface. I really like the idea of having an ipad/iphone platform with itunes and being able to pick your own gps and maybe have external imputs from cameras, etc. I havent seen any new product anouncements but would expect a few before xmas.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2012, 08:10 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D110DC View Post
Blutooth up to one of these:

No wires, no mess. USB in center console if want to charge the iPhone.
Now I really do have to see your DC... Hows the Tdi?
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old August 27th, 2012, 08:56 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
I run a Pioneer head unit in my 4runner, was like $125, it came with the cord (plugs into the back of the radio) to charge the iPod/iphone and it plays it either with the controls on the radio or controlling it on the iPhone with no issues. And i use my iPhone as GPS so it really would solve both your issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2012, 09:46 PM
D110DC
Pete
66 SIIA, 70 IIA, 97 D90

Registry
Car PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Vitale View Post
Pete: What system are you running?
Chris, I'm running a custom rugged-built car pc with 7" Xenarc tiuchscreen monitor, wireless keyboard/mouse (not nec'y with touchscreen), 4-port mini USB hub, Blutooth, WiFi, all powering Focal 6.1 surround sound speakers. Everything is hidden from view, and my diesel D110 is layered in RAAM sound deadening material. Not the least expensive option, but with 4G overage, will do anything you can do at your pc, including GPS, Skype, Email (reads it to me while driving), Internet, Movies and iTunes (from iPhone or downloaded/saved on hard drive), Sirius, and even AM/FM radio. I'm installing software to act as a cover template for simpler menu control while driving.

PM me if you would like to know any further details.

Robert, yes its mostly done. Lots of finishing details to complete, but currently having engine issues will discuss later. Thanks.

1966 ECR Series IIA
1970 Series IIA (Stella)
1997 D90 ST
2011 LR4 HSE
2010 Range Rover Supercharged

Sadly gone (some more sadly than others):
1983 D110 Double Cab 300 TDi
1989 RRC
1996 D1
2006 LR3
2008 RR
Old August 28th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

Nice, you don't mess around Pete!

Well, did some searching tonight and found the below solution that will achieve most of what I am looking for. With time, I am sure the connectivity will be bluetooth only. Nevertheless, it is a nice solution that is available today.

You tube:

Product site:
http://store.mp3car.com/Mimics_s/353.htm
Old August 28th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry

The first gen of these radios sucked, but the second gens are better. Around $400, but IMHO, is the best for iPhone integration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 28th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Yudda
Rob
1997/300tdi/110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Whoever comes up with a nicely designed flush mounting multi USB power outlet rather than the semi hacks we have now is on to a winner

This is what I bought from our favorite....Blue Sea

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Dual-...s=Blue+sea+USB

You don't have to use the included mounting plate.

Specifically designed to charge an iPad2 and iPhone 4+

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3731878524.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	56613

Sent from my iPad using D-90 Source
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:00 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Vitale
Nice, you don't mess around Pete!

Well, did some searching tonight and found the below solution that will achieve most of what I am looking for. With time, I am sure the connectivity will be bluetooth only. Nevertheless, it is a nice solution that is available today.

You tube:

Product site:
http://store.mp3car.com/Mimics_s/353.htm
In the mp3car video it doesn't look like it's charging your device while it's hooked up. That's not good. It's just a mimick-er, so you'd basically be better off having an iPad be your screen and hooked to your head unit it seems. Same number of wires as that video, plus you'll be trying to keep up with two technologies at once - your iPhone getting replaced then that product not being compatible with it. I'd also assume its not cheap, but it is cool as a mimick-er.
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Read the fine print on their website. May be a bit too early. Anything in "portrait" looks like a problem with the display and you have to "jailbreak" your iphone.....?

The Mimics is in 'Beta'
As such, the Mimics has these known problems. Mp3Car will not honor returns for the following issues:

1. Mimics requires the use of a Cydia app called Display Out. Screen flickering has been observed on occasion and has been attributed to this app. In order to fix this issue, one must go into the Display Out settings and switch the display resolution from 640 x 480 to a different setting and then back to 640 x 480. Additionally, flickering can sometimes be fixed by unplugging the dock connector and reconnecting it to your iPhone.

2. Currently, the Mimics will display the same image as your phone. Landscape apps will appear in landscape mode on your screen only if your phone is held in landscape. Portrait apps will appear sideways. An app called "Landscape Lock" can help with this problem by locking an app that has both landscape and portrait modes in landscape. This app will not help with apps that only have portrait mode.

3. Incoming callers will sound clear through your car speakers. However, incoming callers to your phone will hear an echoing of their voice when speaking to you. Noise canceling apps have not shown to help remedy this problem.

4. Bluetooth headset pairing is not possible with Mimics. Mimics pairs with your phone via Bluetooth and it is not possible to connect an additional headset when paired with Mimics.

Requirements

1. Jailbreaking your iPhone is required to use Mimics. If you're not familiar with this process, please try doing this before your order and install Mimics. Jailbreaking can require highly technical skills and a bit of research to complete the process successfully. If you're not comfortable jailbreaking your iPhone, please do not order Mimics. Mp3Car will not be held liable for problems that occur during this process or be able to help with technical support issues related to the jailbreaking process.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old August 29th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

Well, I can certainly say that I have invested a significant amount of time researching this topic, trying to prove to you guys that an easy, efficient and effective solution did indeed exists...but I bet you can guess how that ended.

Thanks for the help...and please post back here if you come across a new solution that fits.
Old August 29th, 2012, 03:52 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I posted this in a RoverGauge thread CGalpin had in the small projects forum: http://androidcommunity.com/nexus-7-...ideo-20120806/

Not sure if it would do all that you would need but thought it looked bitchin'. And I think the Nexus 7's are only $200 so might be doable without spending a ton.
Old August 29th, 2012, 07:17 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The pioneer app radio does not look like a bad idea... Not expensive either..

Glenn do you have one of these?
Old August 29th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy View Post
The pioneer app radio does not look like a bad idea... Not expensive either..

Glenn do you have one of these?
Hey Randy.... Yes, I had one of the first gen in my wife's Volvo but since sold it. The idea was great if it wasn't for the constant "freezing" that require you to restart the car to effectively give the unit a reboot. GPS utilizes the motion x app that is comparable to any garmin/tomtom product. Pandora radio worked great too and the overall U/I was awesome.

A friend has the second gen and it apparently never froze on him after over 6 mos of using it in his F150.

How have you been man? Long time....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
dash, stereo