Is this true? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 25th, 2011, 09:21 PM
JPBrown
James Brown
91 & 2000-110 -93 130 wagon, 88 d90

Is this true?

Saw this post on ExPortal..can anyone confirm if it's true?

I wanted to let everyone know that Land Rover is officially seperating the Range Rover brand into int's own car line. Range Rover will offer the Evoque, Sport and full sized RR while Land Rover will offer the LR2 and LR4 and starting in 2013 two variants of Defender and possibly a third. I am excited to see the Land Rover brand go back to its roots I was excited to get this news and wanted to share.

Old February 25th, 2011, 09:40 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

No idea if that is true or not.
Only thing I can add is that I noticed that in the dealers we work with that their letterheads and invoices over the last few weeks have all dropped the Land Rover logo and oval in favor of what looks to me like mid-1980s script that says "Range Rover".

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old February 25th, 2011, 10:01 PM
2yellowlabs
Rob
92 RRC, 99 DII, 06 LR3, 09 LR2

There is no way they are importing the 2013 Defenders to the states (kind of implied) but the rest is true.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2011, 01:49 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Here's an article that quotes LR people directly:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/12/l...lux-right-now/
Old February 26th, 2011, 03:24 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Here's an article that quotes LR people directly:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/12/l...lux-right-now/
Thats disturbing. I think its safe to say that most of us already own the best we will ever see from this marque. Sadly they have lost their way. To say Range Rover and Land Rover owners are different customers is absurd. Yes I mostly leave the Range Rovers to my wife while Im off in the Series or Defender but its the same customer making the purchase.
Old February 26th, 2011, 03:24 AM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

even if they did make new defenders for the US ... they would be so different, thye would need to pack a passengerside air bag system which would funk up the dimensions, which would in turn funk up some more dimensions and then you realize....
how do they say? nuthin like the original...
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:23 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Im sure they had some consultants come in and tell them to do this. Rover lost their way a while back, however they are building what people want, obviously because I see them everywhere.
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Im sure they had some consultants come in and tell them to do this. Rover lost their way a while back, however they are building what people want, obviously because I see them everywhere.
You cant argue that...it's the masses. Give the people what they want! Thats the chant.
Old February 26th, 2011, 11:09 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Well they didn't ask me... I want a new modern rugged TDI defender in the states.
Old February 26th, 2011, 11:24 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

If the defender came back I am sure it will be built on the lr4 or something like that and be what the fj is for Toyota. I also think the current defender will be made for years to come even if there is a new one. Companies that buy them for Africa and what not need the simplicity and land rover recognizes that. Figure the kit form will be around or something like that.

As for the defender coming back, Brian and I were discussing if we would still want them if suddenly there was a new fj style one and every horsey out there with a flipped collar got one for graduation from college and we both cringed. Thankfully there will be enough of a difference it shouldn't matter. I doubt many fj40 people give a second thought to all of horseys relatives in fj cruisers.
Old February 26th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

FYI, they are separating the brands in terms of the badges, just as the article suggests. Also, I have not said anything yet because of all the BS over the years, but it is true...the Defender IS coming to the US again. I don't know exactly when we will see them, haven't yet seen any pictures, and don't want to start to speculate; however, we have been told by Land Rover that it will be here in 2014 and will be based on the LR4 Platform as Barry suggested.

I am being serious...I have been known to joke about it previously when people have suggested these things, but we have official word now! I will also gladly take orders from any of you when the time comes! Anyone who is interested is free to PM me and I will start a list of those to contact when any real information becomes available and when we are ready to start taking deposits for a waiting list.
Old February 26th, 2011, 12:36 PM
JPBrown
James Brown

Unhappy

Quote: "Companies that buy them for Africa and what not need the simplicity and land rover recognizes that. Figure the kit form will be around or something like that."

Not anymore. We spend a lot of time in the third world and the defender is dead...most NGO's and aid organizations have moved on to Toyota's...When I was in Ghana they had 110's for the police & military but when Tata took over they sold off all Land Rovers and switched to Tata Safari's. You do still see them kicking around in places but they are older and they don't seem to be buying new ones.
Old February 26th, 2011, 12:39 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
I have heard the code name for the new Defender is called the "Icon". I for one hope it stays true to its heritage somehow. I do plan to own one assuming it is close.
Old February 26th, 2011, 01:10 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBrown View Post
Quote: "Companies that buy them for Africa and what not need the simplicity and land rover recognizes that. Figure the kit form will be around or something like that."

Not anymore. We spend a lot of time in the third world and the defender is dead...most NGO's and aid organizations have moved on to Toyota's...When I was in Ghana they had 110's for the police & military but when Tata took over they sold off all Land Rovers and switched to Tata Safari's. You do still see them kicking around in places but they are older and they don't seem to be buying new ones.
Yup. Having been around the world quite a bit, mainly in Asia but a little in Africa, and the Land Cruiser far outnumbers the Defender with NGOs. But for some reason when it comes to Police and Military, they all have 90s and 110s. Not sure why that is.
Old February 26th, 2011, 01:46 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I can totally see why they are seperating the brands. Most of the people that buy a new Range Rover could give a sh1t about the Land Rover heritage - there have been a few post about it on this board and even the Rover's North magazine mentioned about it in the latest issue. I go into my local LR (or I guess RR) dealer now and see "pimp" Sterling (SP?) packages on the Range Rovers in the showroom vs. even a brush guard with lights. When is the last time you've seen a RR on the trail newer than a P38? I could make a cheap joke about how they should take the Range and make it Mall or Shop Rover as the most aggro terrain they will see is going up and down a parking garage but will hold back.

And I can see the Defender coming over again but much more "refined". I've seen the Jeep 4 doors being sold like hot cakes around town and I am sure LRNA thinks they can get a lot of those customers to pony up a bit more for their version. I hope in the seperation LR will get back a bit to their roots or what the cool exepedtion posters look like at the dealer. As freaking awesome as the classic Defender is, if LR does it right a new one could be pretty rad as well. IDK, I think the seperation could be a good thing.
Old February 26th, 2011, 02:17 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Don't get me wrong I love the lr4 but a new defender built on that platform with airbags and what not is going to be shit. It will be just like a wrangler or a fj and every idiot will have one. I wonder if it will even be diesel for america.
Defenders aren't supposed to be lr4s. Sure we all do things to make them more comfortable but they still are trucks not unibody mass produced vehicles. It will be sad when I have to sell my defender and prius because I want something more unique. Time to start researching internationals. Pretty sure I am safe with them not be bastardized anytime soon.

This post and topic should be locked it comes up almost as often as me mocking Horsey for his lack of rotors

------ Follow up post added February 26th, 2011 11:19 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBrown View Post

Companies still order tons of them, hence fleet sales at RN. We might not see them all the time but I know they are being used. Red Cross, UN, etc.
Old February 26th, 2011, 03:14 PM
JPBrown
James Brown

Yes.. but even fleet sales, which are much less than they used to be... make up a small fraction of the 25,000 produced & sold globally which by car manufacturing standards is almost pointless.
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

We could write them a letter. I have been planning on doing so over a year. I just connected with Phil Popham the Global Operations Director for Land Rover so I have his contact. Anyone interested?
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:22 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

What is this letter for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
We could write them a letter. I have been planning on doing so over a year. I just connected with Phil Popham the Global Operations Director for Land Rover so I have his contact. Anyone interested?
I was told by a friend that owns a LR dealership that the defender will be back in 2014. I know there are a couple of members on the board that are affiliated with LR dealerships and maybe they can confirm if they have been told the same thing by LRNA.
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:38 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

They make 25000 a year? I thought they made not even half that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat