Is this true? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 26th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

It's probably too late. I'm just hoping that they'll do the right thing when it comes to the Defender. I design consumer products for a living so I was going to tell them my perspective both as a designer as well as an enthusiast.
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2011, 07:47 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Cool. I think we should start a thread to see what people would like to see the same and different in a NAS defender if it were to return. How radical should the design change, options, etc?
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Great idea. Like I said. It might be too late but at last we've made ourselves heard. A thread on the topic is a good idea. A letter (or in this case an email) might mean more if it's coming from a 100 people rather than one.
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2011, 08:45 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

You guys can't seriously think a letter at this point is going to change anything? Would have to be a letter from thousands around the world.
Old February 26th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I sure do. You'd be surprised. Speaking from experience. No need to piss all over everything, Barry. It certainly is worth a shot.
Old February 26th, 2011, 09:13 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I am not trying to piss on your dreams at all. I just think of this huge auto company and what it takes to build a car for a global market. I am sure whatever their plan is it has been in motion for a long time. I know when Toyota made the FJ they brought in the guy who owns TLC for help (didn't really listen to him) and I am sure did plenty of design and research before the general public saw anything. I was involved in a market study on the Mini Cooper Clubman. They asked me all these questions about what I wanted if they made such a car (at the time I had a cooper s), this was years before the clubman came out. I just have a feeling whatever the plan is I bet the boat has sailed already.

I wonder what the line up will be for Land Rover
LR4
LR2
Defender?
Old February 26th, 2011, 09:48 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Yea, a letter really isn't going to do anything. I agree with that. Could be fun to see what people want in a new defender.
Old February 26th, 2011, 09:55 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Pretty sure most people would want the puma models with the addition of a 90 st with the nas style cage.
Old February 26th, 2011, 11:11 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
You could always send an email to LRNA. I have and always get the same canned response. Maybe if they got a tons of emails it could make an impact. I'm kinda with Barry on this though. I don't think they really care about the minority, they want to appeal to the mass.
Old February 27th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin View Post
What is this letter for?

I was told by a friend that owns a LR dealership that the defender will be back in 2014. I know there are a couple of members on the board that are affiliated with LR dealerships and maybe they can confirm if they have been told the same thing by LRNA.
I have already started to get PM's to be put on my list to contact. To clarify, for those who don't already know, I am a Sales Guide at Land Rover Winnetka, so feel free to contact me anytime!
Old February 27th, 2011, 08:15 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

If you guys write a letter to LR, they will probably do exactly the contrary of what the enthusiast community is asking for. I personnaly hope the new "defender" to be as different as possible to the old one.
Old February 27th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD View Post
If you guys write a letter to LR, they will probably do exactly the contrary of what the enthusiast community is asking for. I personnaly hope the new "defender" to be as different as possible to the old one.
Total agree. I think if they do it right and make a new defender it will be like a series to a NAS defender. My biggest fear is that the new defender will be some bull shit marketing departments idea of an updated version instead of an engineers version that is truly capable. Even if you have to bolt on after market parts. Its the LR heritage that is my concern. Its like porsche and the panamera. Crazy ass idea for that company to build a 4 door and not butcher up the brand. I think they did a decent job. I wish I had confidence that LR will do the same.
Old February 27th, 2011, 10:44 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
I've always been surprised out how many people can't differentiate the difference between Land Rovers and Range Rovers. There are a lot of people that thought Range Rover was the Co. that made Land Rover. I feel like 90% of the consumer market really doesnt know anything about vehicles.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:07 AM
JPBrown
James Brown
91 & 2000-110 -93 130 wagon, 88 d90

Very true....but I do love Range Rover Defenders.
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:07 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Might as well add to the debate what people think the cost will be for a defender in the states. I am going to assume they won't sell stripped models here so it would be country and se/xs spec.
Old February 27th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
With all due respect... If the new Defender is coming out in the 2013 model year, it is much too late to do anything. The design and prototyping will already be done and they will be working on manufacturing details. Market decisions are long in the past. It is wait and see at this point.
Old February 27th, 2011, 12:29 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

I was told by a LR market manager that we will not see the new Defender until 2015 or 2016. LR wants to introduce the redesigned RR, Sport,LR2, and LR4 before the Def.
Evoque MY 2012, RR MY 2013, Sport MY 2014, you get the idea. I hope it comes sooner with the twin turbo 3.0 diesel, but I doubt it.
Old February 27th, 2011, 01:23 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I was involved in a market study on the Mini Cooper Clubman. They asked me all these questions about what I wanted if they made such a car (at the time I had a cooper s), this was years before the clubman came out.
Me too, they said it was due to having a GTI (which they said was going to be the clubman's competition if it came out) my name popped up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
I was told by a LR market manager that we will not see the new Defender until 2015 or 2016. LR wants to introduce the redesigned RR, Sport,LR2, and LR4 before the Def.
Evoque MY 2012, RR MY 2013, Sport MY 2014, you get the idea. I hope it comes sooner with the twin turbo 3.0 diesel, but I doubt it.
I just wish every dealer would stop just saying stuff like that without CREDIBLE information. I've been hearing "the defender is coming back" since 1998
Old February 27th, 2011, 01:56 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

To my point of the current version existing for a long time
http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...g-15-jaar-mee/
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:57 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

I don't think any dealers have been saying the Defender is coming back for the past 14 years. Now the NA LR dealers have been told that the new Defender will be designed with the US market in mind. This was announced at a dealer meeting a few months ago. Of course when it shows up and what it will be is YTD.
In fact as we all know LR could scrap the whole Defender project. Being so far in the future anything can happen. But we do have credible info. for the first time in many years.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat