Is this a sign of things to come to D90? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 30th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Is this a sign of things to come to D90?

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...1&postcount=21

Is this a sign of things to come to D90 or was it just a test drive of your newly acquired " Super Powers "?

It it is a new way, we are dangerously approaching ExPo levels.

Removing discussion items it is bad practice, if someone gets in a bind, tell the OP to re-post a new thread and simply close it, but editing it is not the way to go at all.

Congratulations on your Super Powers and I hope you can see this point of view before it is perceived as a Powertrip.
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...1&postcount=21

Is this a sign of things to come to D90 or was it just a test drive of your newly acquired " Super Powers "?

It it is a new way, we are dangerously approaching ExPo levels.

Removing discussion items it is bad practice, if someone gets in a bind, tell the OP to re-post a new thread and simply close it, but editing it is not the way to go at all.

Congratulations on your Super Powers and I hope you can see this point of view before it is perceived as a Powertrip.
Huh...guess we'll have to wait and see how it all evolves...or de-volves. It's all perspective!
Old January 30th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

Quote:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...1&postcount=21Removing discussion items it is bad practice, if someone gets in a bind, tell the OP to re-post a new thread and simply close it, but editing it is not the way to go at all.
Thanks for posing your feedback. I'd like to make sure everyone know that no posts were edited. A few posts that violated the rules Chris put in place years ago were "soft deleted" because it was not the right place for those discussions. The intent of the rule is to prevent people from hijacking classified discussions, here is the exact text:
Quote:
The For Sale threads are not discussion threads nor a place for people to make editorial comments on the sellers listing price. While offering truthful comments to alert other forum members of a possible issue/praise of the item/seller, as well as general questions to the sellers regarding the listing, is perfectly acceptable, comments attacking the sellers price for no reason other than to heckle them for example, is not.

90% of us regulars here all know when we see an overpriced listing, we all know it wont sell in most cases here on the site at that price, so we dont need to tanks someones listing just because they are new and dont know the market like we do, or if we are bored and feel like making a post. Not too mention that its highly likely the listing is a copy/paste from their listing from the automotive classified sites and they are just trying to get the word out.

The bottom line is, an over priced truck wont move on this site unless someone has a burning desire for that particular truck especially when there is no shortage of other truck listing for people to look at and see other pricing more toward enthusiast market levels.
Removing the offending posts is the fair way to deal with this issues since it wouldn't be right for the original poster to have to create a new thread just because someone else hijacked their listing. If we did as you suggested and closed the thread and forced a new one to be made that would circumvent the spirit in which the rules were written.

I understand everyone is fearful we are going to go the route of ExPo but I can assure you our team is being very diligent to make sure and lead the community in a fair manner and to exercise our "super powers" in a responsible way. No need to spread fear, uncertainty or doubt about the management here as we are not on a path to destruction, even though some might claim we are because they enjoy watching train wrecks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2012, 09:31 AM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
I don't like deleting posts. I say let discussions run their course. That's really all I have to add.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old January 30th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Thanks for posing your feedback. I'd like to make sure everyone know that no posts were edited. A few posts that violated the rules Chris put in place years ago were "soft deleted" because it was not the right place for those discussions. The intent of the rule is to prevent people from hijacking classified discussions, here is the exact text:Removing the offending posts is the fair way to deal with this issues since it wouldn't be right for the original poster to have to create a new thread just because someone else hijacked their listing. If we did as you suggested and closed the thread and forced a new one to be made that would circumvent the spirit in which the rules were written.

I understand everyone is fearful we are going to go the route of ExPo but I can assure you are team is being very diligent to make sure and lead the community in a fair manner and to exercise our "super powers" in a responsible way. No need to spread fear, uncertainty or doubt about the management here as we are not on a path to destruction, even though some might claim we are because they enjoy watching train wrecks.
Andy,

Thank you for your response, but where I come from it is often described as " The Dance "

I would challenge the statement as NO POST WERE EDITED, as you admitted Soft Deleting, again " The Dance "

If your statement of spreading rumors was directed to me, well, it is very sad if that is your perception.

There is absolutely nothing UNFAIR to force an OP to post a new ( actually it is a courtesy ) when the thread hijack as you called it, couldn't be farther from the truth.

But then again, history has shown that over powering has never been productive.
Old January 30th, 2012, 09:49 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I would say "things going back to the way they used to be" when a for sale thread was a for sale thread, and not a chitty chat or bash fest. One of the main reasons I put those rules in place years ago is because EVERYONE screamed and cried and bitched that the for sale listed were getting dumped on, "it getting like DW", etc etc. Now we are going back to re-enforce those rule YOU ALL WANTED to begin with and now you're bitching about it being like DW or Expo?? Really?

Things have gotten too lax over the years on enforcing these rules and we said, thats going to change to get back on track. The rules stand on the classified listings and John's moderation of those posts were within his discretion to help clean up the thread.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old January 30th, 2012, 09:54 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
I would challenge the statement as NO POST WERE EDITED, as you admitted Soft Deleting, again " The Dance "
There is a HUGE differance between editing someones POST to say something they didnt say, and editing a thread by deleting the entire post.

No posts were edited, the thread was.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old January 30th, 2012, 10:08 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc
90% of us regulars here all know when we see an overpriced listing, we all know it wont sell in most cases here on the site at that price, so we dont need to tanks someones listing just because they are new and dont know the market like we do, or if we are bored and feel like making a post. Not too mention that its highly likely the listing is a copy/paste from their listing from the automotive classified sites and they are just trying to get the word out.
I still like how it assumes the person listing the truck is new. In this particular case though, it was about two members who have been around for a long time, have eaten and had beers with one another, and who entered into a contract less than a year ago to sell the truck with a gentleman's agreement to first offer the truck back before posting on the open market. Our comments weren't really about the truck being overpriced, but rather about how the two had a gentleman's agreement which was not honored in the least. In the end, the For Sale thread may not have been the best place to carry out the discussion per the forum rules, but it was a knee-jerk reaction. The general consensus has been to have those types of discussions carried over to Misc Chit Chat, and that would have probably been the best place to move the discussion (if it was to be edited at all) rather than to deleting the posts entirely. Perhaps it was because there was not a second thread dedicated to the sale already that the posts were lost, but I'd think it was possible to keep the comments and move them to Misc Chit Chat somehow. But now that I write it, that seems like a lot of work for a moderator to go through for just a recreational site though.
Old January 30th, 2012, 10:25 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

I didn't see this coming with Red90 as a mod or anything... All was working well until a few folks couldn't deal with a little truth (although a slightly abrasive one).

Hands off, I say. This place does a great job policing itself.
Old January 30th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc View Post
There is a HUGE differance between editing someones POST to say something they didnt say, and editing a thread by deleting the entire post.

No posts were edited, the thread was.
Chris,

I never thought you and I were ever to Dance, but this is what we are doing now and it wouldn't be me if I didn't respond. ( still love you though )

Editing a thread by deleting an entire post it is EXACTLY the same as editing someone's post to represent something they did or did not say, as it appears..... someone comments are no longer there , therefore , editing his presentation ( what he/she said or not )
Old January 30th, 2012, 11:29 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I will only say that one person's bash is another's useful information. A prospective buyer of a vehicle, in the course of their diligent research, may find it interesting that experienced owners find an asking price to be out of what they believe to be a proper price range. Conversely there have been many a vehicle posted that produced mounds of "great deal" and "wish I could buy it right now" responses from many of the same so-called bashers.
I have no opinion of how the owners of this site run the show. If it were me I'd let anyone write just about anything they wished so long as it isn't a personal attack.
It's one thing to write,"That truck is a rusty overpriced pile of crap" and quite another to write "you're a crook and an a-hole for even attempting to sell that rusty overpriced pile of crap on this site" I would definitely kill a post like that, and send a nasty-gram to the poster. In the end it is a buyer's decision and everyone has the right to make poor decisions, no matter how anyone feels about it.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 30th, 2012, 03:15 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Is there anyway to set up a sub forum in classifieds that mirror the original post? IE when you post in classified it shows up in two places. Once in a thread where there is no discussion or replys (other than by the original poster) and another of the exact same post in another forum titled say "classified discussion" so people can discuss the listing.

All and all, if someone wants to shit on my classifieds I could care less (you will see most of my posts in classified are designed to be helpful like clarifying what it is or stating additional pictures people might find helpful), but this might solve the problem.
Old January 30th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Is there anyway to set up a sub forum in classifieds that mirror the original post? IE when you post in classified it shows up in two places. Once in a thread where there is no discussion or replys (other than by the original poster) and another of the exact same post in another forum titled say "classified discussion" so people can discuss the listing.

All and all, if someone wants to shit on my classifieds I could care less (you will see most of my posts in classified are designed to be helpful like clarifying what it is or stating additional pictures people might find helpful), but this might solve the problem.
Or do it like many GUN Forums

When you place an item for sale YOU the OP have the choice to select ALLOW COMMENTS, other than that, all questions are referred via PM or email to the OP.

Many have an option to submit a private offer

HOWEVER the essence of my post was not intended to present a guide to Classified Section but solely with the intent to bring up to life what it is perceived as the use of the new SUPER POWERS modifying posts.

I wonder how long it is going to be before someone gets butt-hurt and accuse me of being a bully or simply ban me
Old January 30th, 2012, 03:29 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Or do it like many GUN Forums

When you place an item for sale YOU the OP have the choice to select ALLOW COMMENTS, other than that, all questions are referred via PM or email to the OP.
I like that idea, especially if the default is to allow them.
Old January 30th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I like that idea, especially if the default is to allow them.

Yeap, default is to allow comments and private offers
Old January 30th, 2012, 04:48 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
You actually sell stuff? I thought you were just a buyer/hoarder.

-Jeff
I sell stuff to people who come visit ron's house of used rover parts.
Old January 30th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

Quote:
This is a good idea, we will look into adding this.
Old January 30th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R
This is a good idea, we will look into adding this.
The vendors loft used to have this option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90