Old March 10th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Is this a good deal on a RR

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...41252965&Log=0

this is just down the street from me.
Is 06 a good year? Anything to look for? Do these have the typical LR rust issues? I believe these RR's have a unibody, not a frame.

$19k
82k miles
Looks like is spent all it's life in OH.

Cheers...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rr.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	67804  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2013, 12:24 AM
bigkel162
Kelvin Nodarse
1995 county lwb

Registry
Seems reasonable for an 2006. Drive it and check for noise. In the engine.
Old March 11th, 2013, 01:09 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

There are going to be a lot of them for sale with the new one out from trade ins. I would hold out another 6-12 months.

They do rust a bit on the wheel wells but nothing like an RRC or defender as the unibody is galvanized.
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
which were the BMW years?
2004-2005?
I remember hearing that there was one or two more desireable years to have during that body style run.
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:46 AM
DOX
Eric Doxey
1995 Defender 90

Registry
2006 models where pretty good, I had one for 2 1/2 years and didn't have any problems. I would personally avoid 2003-2005 models with the BMW engine. Engine was ok but the electronics were not.
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:57 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOX View Post
2006 models where pretty good, I had one for 2 1/2 years and didn't have any problems. I would personally avoid 2003-2005 models with the BMW engine. Engine was ok but the electronics were not.
x2. Last time I was at the dealer the salesman and manager on the floor both said the same regarding a 2005 my buddy was looking at THAT LR WAS SELLING. Something along the lines of (in their opinion) BMW screwed them, as they basically used LR to better their own X5 platform, and didn't give a crap about LR at the time. They said BMW's warranty support was terrible for those years as well.
Old March 11th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
I have an '06 S/C and it's been relatively trouble free after 24,000 miles. I'm fairly active on rangerovers.net and you'll see most (if not all) of the complaints is with the BMW years. (03-05). Specifically with the ZF 5HP24 tranny.

The battery can give you a lot of crazy electronic faults that don't make sense if it's not putting out enough voltage anymore. Cheap enough to replace.

If it's a S/C - there is a TSB out there for the intercooler auxiliary pump where LR wired it backwards causing premature wear/failure. Symptoms include "Reduced Engine Performance" message when you romp on the go pedal in uphill roads. Due to the reversed wiring on the I/C pump, the engine goes on limp mode with a top speed of 30mph! These affected all 06 and half of 07.

Other than that, drive it like you stole it! If you can spring for a S/C, go for it... It's "smiles per hour" better than the n/a one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I have an '06 and Love It! I've had virtually no problems in approximately 28k miles and the vehicle now has 77k on it. I think it is the Best Year unless you get into the Newer Ones, and the best bang for the buck year. The '05 was good, it had the BMW Engine but the New Infotainment with the Touch Screen Nav. The '03-'04 are decent, but are really old school in terms of the Infotainment and Nav System. The '06 got the New Engine, 6spd Trans, Reverse Camera and Facelift, which is nice.

Not to badmouth anything, but personally I just don't like the '07MY. '08 got All New Electronics. It looks virtually the same as an '07 and has the Cooled Seats with the Lux like the '07, but is All New behind the scenes. '08 and '09 are virtually the exact same and '10 is when they face-lifted it again and went to the New 5.0l 375hp/375tq engine, electronic dash, push-button start etc.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat