Is Copley Motors on Crack?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 8th, 2013, 10:26 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Is Copley Motors on Crack??

I know it's pretty and it's one fine example of a 110 but 210,000 bucks for a Defender? Do people actually pay that? I could probably build 3 of them for that price (and sell them to Copley).

What am I missing?

http://www.copleymotorcars.com/defen....3.1vo910.html
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2013, 10:34 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Why do we have to go thru these posts all the time?

Yes people pay that. The funny thing is I bet Copley is selling this truck at a loss for the owner, not for them obviously.

Shops like ecr charge beyond top dollar to build these trucks. When they trade hands it's always at a loss.

Not saying I would ever buy it but for a certain clientele ecr and Copley are the only places people would trust for something like this.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868 View Post
I know it's pretty and it's one fine example of a 110 but 210,000 bucks for a Defender? Do people actually pay that? I could probably build 3 of them for that price (and sell them to Copley).

What am I missing?

look into the specifications and actual build sheet on this 110 and if you can build one for $70,000 ($210,000 / 3), sign me up immediately! If you actually can build 3 of these for $210,000 please let me know how.

Not saying that one should spend $210,000 on a 110, just that when you add up all the parts, upgrades and time, this particular 110 probably cost the original owner over $250,000. Again, let's not start yet another thread on market value, but just saying that you ain't building this for $70,000, or even $100,000 (look at the list of upgrades/parts).

EDIT: ^^^^^^^Barry beat me to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2013, 10:43 AM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

It'd look better on 35's.....
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Some of Copley's customers are probably on blow, not crack. Crack is for buyers of Honda Civics and Chrysler Hoopties.

Market value is based on what someone will pay, and they are out there.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:52 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Understood. I appreciate the education. I thought those ECR builds were closer to 100-120 K out the door. Wasn't aware it's in the 250 range. I would still never pay that but it sure is a nice truck!

Now can we talk about the bone stock 1995 d90 with 60K miles they have going for 50K? I kid I kid..
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Talking about the clients, I wonder how oblivious they are to these prices? I mean, a 110 is a 110 is a 110. I know these are cosmetically better than most but c'mon!

Personally if I have no clue about importing these vehicles but just want something that would stroke my ego and tell the world about my adventurous lifestyle and that money is no object and bought this for $200K - - I would be really pissed if I see another dude on the road that paid about $25/$30K for his and it's similar to mine. I guess I just don't get it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

We will all sell for less than what we've put into it. It doesn't matter if it's an $14k trail rig or a $200k 110. I veiw it kinda like a house. You make it into what you want, we the need arises to sell it doesn't matter what you have into it for the most part. You, most likley will take a loss on either parts or labor. Most of the time it's both.

Economics to scale...I know some guys that could spend (and do) $200k to $500k a quarter on toys and it's just a signature. It's only money and there is always more to be made...it's like air. Those are the guys that buy in that price range and good for the guys that service them!
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:59 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Clearly they know their clients... If they could not sell it, they would not put it on their lot.

Old January 8th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I go by CMC weekly. This AB 110 is gorgeous.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:14 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868 View Post

What am I missing?

The crank.

And yes, they sell.

That's a nice looking truck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 8th, 2013, 11:28 AM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Guinto View Post
Talking about the clients, I wonder how oblivious they are to these prices? I mean, a 110 is a 110 is a 110. I know these are cosmetically better than most but c'mon!

Personally if I have no clue about importing these vehicles but just want something that would stroke my ego and tell the world about my adventurous lifestyle and that money is no object and bought this for $200K - - I would be really pissed if I see another dude on the road that paid about $25/$30K for his and it's similar to mine. I guess I just don't get it...

Do I really need to say this? Quality costs....superb quality costs....alot...a real lot. A 30k 110 is light years away from a ECR 110. There is no comparison.

Old January 8th, 2013, 11:33 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

I wonder how is the finishing quality compared to an Icon truck ?
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:41 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
I get to talk to a few Copley customers every year. They buy from Copley because they want a Rover that is perfect in every way, Copley provides that. When they buy a Copley truck they know exaclty what they are getting and that is what matters to them. Most of them LOVE their trucks they are just toys to them for the most part but they are very happy with what they have purchased.
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Old January 8th, 2013, 11:43 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
They do the work like this...

Old January 8th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD View Post
I wonder how is the finishing quality compared to an Icon truck ?
I think it's a not a case of apples to apples with Icon. I dont belive its a straight restore and more of a "build". And the Icon is a simpler vehicle. I view it as the Icon is a 150 piece puzzle of Burt and Ernie and a 110 as a 2000 piece puzzle of Big Ben.

I do like those Icon's, just not as much as LR!
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:47 AM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn24whl View Post
I get to talk to a few Copley customers every year. They buy from Copley because they want a Rover that is perfect in every way, Copley provides that. When they buy a Copley truck they know exaclty what they are getting and that is what matters to them. Most of them LOVE their trucks they are just toys to them for the most part but they are very happy with what they have purchased.
Well said, the ECR trucks are amazing and Copley knows their market. A vehicle is worth what someone will pay. When you can look at every part of vehicle and keep saying "wow", you know you're going to pay accordingly for it.

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc.swb View Post

Very nice! Rome could have been built in a day!
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:12 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc.swb View Post

This would have been much funnier if it was set to Benny Hill music.
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:14 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
just so there is some flavor as to price:
http://eastcoastrover.smugmug.com/Ca...3160&k=JWLZSXH
this truck is $175,000 - it is plain, it is basic, and any and every add-on costs more money. its very nice. but - simple.

the blue truck is $210,000.00
color change adds a lot of money, the TD5 adds a lot of money, custom rack adds money, radio adds money, extra lights add money, boost wheels add money, leather seats add money, front bumper adds money, winch adds money, power windows add money, bigger inter-cooler adds money, power chip adds money, and so - you get the point.

here are some more photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1124195...COe4gpHwpcn2Tw

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, motor, rack