Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 19th, 2016, 11:49 PM
Edmond
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130

Is Anyone Going to Overland Expo - WEST

Hello Board Members..

Wondering if anyone going to overland expo - west , in Arizona this weekend..

If members could post pictures of anything new or interesting would be greatly appreciated.

Overland Expo WEST — Overland Expo

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2016, 09:56 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Wheel well LED lights are the only "new" things I have seen so far. Silliest things I have seen in a long time. I'll keep the pictures coming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	149905  
Old May 20th, 2016, 10:07 AM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Wheel well LED lights are the only "new" things I have seen so far. Silliest things I have seen in a long time. I'll keep the pictures coming.
Haha! I've been out to Wind Rock in Oliver Springs, TN with those guys before. Very nicely built 4Runner and generally good guys to be around. I think I'd ditch the rave lights though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2016, 11:42 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I'm not going to ExPo but I've been driving my 110 across the country this week. Guided the Defenders Northwest guys in Nevada, then drove across Utah. Buried the truck in the snow in the remote Henry Mountains but managed to dig it out during a thunderstorm. Working my way through Colorado now. I'm posting pics to Instagram under @christopherjsnell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old May 20th, 2016, 11:53 AM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I'm not going to ExPo but I've been driving my 110 across the country this week. Guided the Defenders Northwest guys in Nevada, then drove across Utah. Buried the truck in the snow in the remote Henry Mountains but managed to dig it out during a thunderstorm. Working my way through Colorado now. I'm posting pics to Instagram under @christopherjsnell
Awesome! Followed.
Old May 20th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Quote:
I'll be sure to follow. Enjoyed all the photos Defenders NW posted of their portion of the trip
Old May 20th, 2016, 12:06 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
NICE…

You needs to come down thru southern AZ...
Old May 20th, 2016, 07:51 PM
Edmond
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130

Quote:
Agree.
i will for sure stay as far as i could from these Wheel LEDs.. Just not my style.

Thank you dave for the pictures..
Old May 20th, 2016, 08:04 PM
Edmond
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130

Quote:
Well Done Chris.. I am very jealous.. Drive safe and enjoy every minute of your trip..

How is it you went all these places and skipped the expo? just messing with you..

Isn't it wonderful to find the time to take trips like this..

I am doing a small 3 week trip to Grand canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite, then finish it off at the 100 giants before heading home in September.. taking my range rover this time. I would love to meet up with members if possible during my trip.. been living here for 25 years and never been to yellowstone or grand canyon.. It sure is about time..

please keep the pictures coming from the expo.. very much appreciated..

thank you everyone..
Old May 20th, 2016, 08:56 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Nothing overly new. Not finding any great deals from the vendors either.
Old May 21st, 2016, 04:05 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Nothing overly new. Not finding any great deals from the vendors either.

Just keep the photos coming.
Old May 21st, 2016, 04:30 PM
LakeLBJ
CC
SOLD - 1987 D90 LHD / 200TDI

Registry
Plenty of photos here:

Overland Expo West 2016: Day 1 | Expedition Portal
Old May 21st, 2016, 05:31 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLBJ View Post
This "expo build" thing has completely gone off the rails. The "bigger is better" mentality has completely taken over.

/
/
/
/
Old May 21st, 2016, 07:22 PM
Edmond
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLBJ View Post
thanks CC
Old May 22nd, 2016, 01:14 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Quote:
This "expo build" thing has completely gone off the rails. The "bigger is better" mentality has completely taken over.
Even though the East event is only an hour or so from me I'm finding it tough to convince myself to go. Not particularly interested in dropping coin to learn recovery techniques and don't have much interest in buying an bunch of Expo swag.

That white 110 is amazing - a member here?
Old May 22nd, 2016, 02:38 PM
Edmond
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howski View Post
Even though the East event is only an hour or so from me I'm finding it tough to convince myself to go. Not particularly interested in dropping coin to learn recovery techniques and don't have much interest in buying an bunch of Expo swag.

That white 110 is amazing - a member here?
Yes, many people who go to this Overland expo will probably not participate in the recovery techniques and similar activities. But you would be shocked, that many drivers don't know the techniques to recover a vehicle.

Yes, many would probably not spend money on buying certain parts either. but whoever that may need certain parts, they might find a good deal.
if someone is buying a part there from a vendor is most probably because he needs that part. i would guess so.

I believe the main reason people go to this event is to meet up with other enthusiasts.
To get to see other beautiful overland setups.
To learn from others about how they improved their vehicles and etc,etc....

People should not get discouraged to go to events like this. There are 100's of things to do in 3 days.

The first time i heard about this event last week was by a great man named Joseph Hosmer. He mentioned this to me 2 days before the event started. The expo is 8 hours from me and i couldn't make it this year. but come next year, you will see me there Joseph. Hope you having a blast Sir.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 06:04 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I'm curious what the qualifications are, if any, of the people teaching the classes.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 06:07 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Ok, back from Overland West and here is MY opinion on the "experience" this year.

Mormon Lake Arizona:
The physical location absolutely sucks and it is my understanding they are looking for a new location. Camping on a semi dry, normally used as a cow pasture, lake bed is ridiculous. Last year it was mud up to your knees and this year was 40+ MPH winds that tossed EasyUps like rag dolls, shredded tents and awnings to ribbons (my OzTent was unscathed). With the wind came gritty clouds of both dust and cow manure. A good 25% of the people bailed after the first night and another 30-40% left after night two. For anybody who camped in the reserved camping area or forest camped the trees took care of the crazy wind.
There were also not enough toilets and what they had weren't serviced enough. Twice I flipped open the lid to see feces and toilet paper to the top of the hold tank. In other words if you sat instead of hover while exercising your morning constitutional you would have sat in a pile of crap. Also at no time did the hand washing stations have water or hand sanitizer.

Vendors:
Absolutely the same stuff as the last year and the year before. Nothing really new or innovative nor were there any great ExPo deals. If they offered a discount it was 10%. If you came to buy stuff or see the vendors you could see it all in an hour or two.

Land Rover:
Their course was pretty good and the instructors that I talked to were all very knowledgeable. Getting a test drive was an exercise in patients. For 3+ hours the lady told me "Just stay here, it should be about 20 more minutes". I gave up after 2 hours of that and came back at the end of the day and asked if she called my number, 112. She was on 197 and she could "fit me in if I stayed around for about 20 more minutes". I did and I took a RR Sport on the track and was very impressed. Now I know what I want for my next BIG birthday.

The good:
As with any large gathering you meet plenty of good folks. I only encountered one clown and it was funny when I asked him from where in SoCal he was from and said "Venice Beach, how did you know I was from SoCal?"
I camped with a guy from Ireland with a 100% kitted out D2 and two guys from Chile who drove a stock Tithinous from Miami to the ExPo. They made it into a dormie and were living out of it. A couple of AZLRO folks came thru and I spent a bunch of time just hanging out with Brian from Defenders Northwest. Great guy and hey Snell, WTF??? I had bourbon for us to drink!!!
The only way I would consider going again is if I camped with a small group away from the camping circus and if new vendors w/ new ideas were part of it.

That's my take, now for laundry and cleaning out the truck.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 06:12 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Dave, any pics of the Tithonus turned Dormobile?
Old May 22nd, 2016, 06:40 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj View Post
Dave, any pics of the Tithonus turned Dormobile?
Sorry, I didn't snap any. Basically what he did was add two sliding windows on the top, cubbies on the right (RHD truck) and a bed that folded up on the left side. It was all plywood, utilitarian but it worked. When he emails me his contact info I'll ask for a few pix.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat