Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 22nd, 2016, 10:54 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj View Post
Dave, any pics of the Tithonus turned Dormobile?
Here you go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6523.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	150053   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7148.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	150054  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7410.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	150055  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2016, 12:12 PM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post

Mormon Lake Arizona:
The physical location absolutely sucks and it is my understanding they are looking for a new location. Camping on a semi dry, normally used as a cow pasture, lake bed is ridiculous. Last year it was mud up to your knees and this year was 40+ MPH winds that tossed EasyUps like rag dolls, shredded tents and awnings to ribbons (my OzTent was unscathed). With the wind came gritty clouds of both dust and cow manure. A good 25% of the people bailed after the first night and another 30-40% left after night two.
Mormon Lake is a whole lot better that the place in Tuscon they started at, but I agree the dry lake bed/pasture is not my idea of an ideal camp site. Rumor has it that the people who put the event on are looking at Fort Tuthill County Park Across the freeway from the Flagstaff Airport.

My friend Ian and I visited in our Dormobiles, arriving Thursday. Ian left Saturday morning to be in South Eastern Colorado Monday morning for an event he was attending. I left late Saturday afternoon so I could take care of a neighbor's animals. They left Saturday morning for a vacation and I had already committed to morning & evening feedings.

If you go out on the trail weather happens and you need to have the knowledge and gear to deal with it. A lot of people driving vehicles that look like they belong on the cover of a 4X4 magazine had neither. They just focused on the "image" and chose the "look" over gear functionality or knowledge.

Quote:
There were also not enough toilets and what they had weren't serviced enough. Twice I flipped open the lid to see feces and toilet paper to the top of the hold tank. In other words if you sat instead of hover while exercising your morning constitutional you would have sat in a pile of crap. Also at no time did the hand washing stations have water or hand sanitizer.
Since I travel with a pota pottie, outhouses were a non issue for me. But someone did poor planning. they started out with just 4 outhouses for the entire camping area. Friday I went to the Mormon lake campground management and mentioned that the morning lines were about 20 people long for each outhouse. Later that day that number was at least quadrupled with a second set of outhouses added to the back of the camp area. The wash stands had water and paper towels by Saturday afternoon. Someone forgot to order trash cans for both the exhibit area and the camping area this year. I suspect that someone new was given the setup responsibility. They blew the trash/outhouse stuff this year but had it covered during previous years.

Quote:
Vendors:
Absolutely the same stuff as the last year and the year before. Nothing really new or innovative nor were there any great ExPo deals. If they offered a discount it was 10%. If you came to buy stuff or see the vendors you could see it all in an hour or two.
Yes, almost all the same vendors who were there last year returned this year. But there were additional companies there for the first time. I'd guess about 10-15% first time vendors. Humm it took me over a half a day to get through my first pass of vendors then I went back to check out the ones I just walked past because what they were selling was not obvious.

While I did not see any GREAT deals a lot of the companies had discount show prices. I took advantage of the show price from Overland Solar.com to add solar to my truck. My second battery normally lasts about 2 days before I need to run the engine for an hour or so. The portable solar panels (Bosh in Germany) should let me camp indefinitely without running down the secondary battery.

Quote:
Land Rover:
Their course was pretty good and the instructors that I talked to were all very knowledgeable. Getting a test drive was an exercise in patients. For 3+ hours the lady told me "Just stay here, it should be about 20 more minutes". I gave up after 2 hours of that and came back at the end of the day and asked if she called my number, 112. She was on 197 and she could "fit me in if I stayed around for about 20 more minutes". I did and I took a RR Sport on the track and was very impressed. Now I know what I want for my next BIG birthday.
I really didn't bother with them or the Jeep people. I did spend sometime hanging out with the ex-Camel Trophy folks who were teaching recovery techniques and how to use recovery gear. Though I was mostly building awareness of my new book and getting their buy-in regarding the driving and recovery chapters.

The people putting on the LR driving course are from Land Rover USA and not a local dealer. I briefly chatted with the manager of the group and lamented the demise of the Defender. (Add a grain of salt here) He told me that LR recognized that the Defender is a company icon and that the new Defender will look a lot like the old one. He stated that if you put the new and old Defender next to one another about 90% of the people looking from about 20 feet away would not be able to tell which was the new model and which was the old model. I'm assuming the other 10% are familiar with Defenders (grain of salt remember). Time will tell how accurate the information is.

Most of my time there was spent trying to build awareness of my upcoming book and lining up people to review the book. "The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United States and Canada". I have product pictures from about 25 vendors in the book to show people what different kinds of products looked like. Just before the Expo I printed out a copy of the book and took it around to the vendors who had products in the book to show them that the book is real and to have them read the picture caption to make sure I didn't misdescribe their product. I also talked to the folks at Overland Journal and 4XOverland about them doing book reviews. I was also passing out 5" X 7" flyers advertising the book.

All and all, yes there was constant wind, but weather happens, and I accomplished my book promotion efforts which was my primary reason for being there. I met more people and renewed acquaintances and friendships. I had a good time but I live nearby. If I had to travel a day or more and didn't have a book to promote I think I would only go to the expo about once every 3 years just to say hi to folks and see any new products.

------ Follow up post added May 24th, 2016 09:19 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howski View Post
Even though the East event is only an hour or so from me I'm finding it tough to convince myself to go. Not particularly interested in dropping coin to learn recovery techniques and don't have much interest in buying an bunch of Expo swag.
I intend to introduce my book at Overland Expo East this October.

You could always come by the authors tent (ghetto?) and say hi. I'll be the one behind a pile of green books with a Wolfhound by my side.

Who knows, after reading my book you may want to swap out your cooking gear, travel clothing, and recovery gear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 24th, 2016, 12:22 PM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Here you go
Your interior layout is very similar to the layout in the military 2 door Carawagons. You might want to look at some to see some of the space tricks Searle did.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2016, 01:02 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
A couple of AZLRO folks came thru and I spent a bunch of time just hanging out with Brian from Defenders Northwest. Great guy and hey Snell, WTF??? I had bourbon for us to drink!!!
Oh brother, wish I would have made it. I got into a mess up in the Henry Mountains of Utah. Got a little bit overconfident trying to make it over a pass and ended up burying the truck in snow as an evening thunderstorm hit. Spent a couple of hours digging it out on an exposed ledge. Got really wet and cold, maybe a little hypothermic, and I was pretty much done by that point. Drove the truck to CO that night and flew back home. I will fly back to pick up the truck and continue the trip in a few weeks once we get settled in the new house.

Sounds like you guys had fun but you couldn't pay me to camp in that nasty lake bed with those people. What a mess.

/
/
/
/
Old May 24th, 2016, 01:21 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Terianne...make sure you stop by the Rover camp and say hi....
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old May 24th, 2016, 02:30 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Oh brother, wish I would have made it. I got into a mess up in the Henry Mountains of Utah. Got a little bit overconfident trying to make it over a pass and ended up burying the truck in snow as an evening thunderstorm hit. Spent a couple of hours digging it out on an exposed ledge. Got really wet and cold, maybe a little hypothermic, and I was pretty much done by that point. Drove the truck to CO that night and flew back home. I will fly back to pick up the truck and continue the trip in a few weeks once we get settled in the new house.

Sounds like you guys had fun but you couldn't pay me to camp in that nasty lake bed with those people. What a mess.
We camped off the lake…much nicer
Old May 26th, 2016, 07:04 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
We had a place for you in the trees...

As I discovered a few years ago, the trip out and back is the best part of Expo. May is an exceptionally good time to be roaming around the Southwest.
Old May 27th, 2016, 12:54 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

It would have been fun to stick together for the last leg and stop in at ExPo, if only to say hi to everyone. I had the perfect finish-out for the trip planned if only I hadn't gotten stuck. Was hoping to wake up in a sweet little secret stash campsite above the Colorado but it was midnight before I made Blanding.

Maybe someday we'll get the band together in Utah for some Plateau fun before the show.

/
/
/
/
Old May 27th, 2016, 03:19 AM
Edmond
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130

[QUOTE=TeriAnn;741536]
Most of my time there was spent trying to build awareness of my upcoming book and lining up people to review the book. "The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United States and Canada". I have product pictures from about 25 vendors in the book to show people what different kinds of products looked like. Just before the Expo I printed out a copy of the book and took it around to the vendors who had products in the book to show them that the book is real and to have them read the picture caption to make sure I didn't misdescribe their product. I also talked to the folks at Overland Journal and 4XOverland about them doing book reviews. I was also passing out 5" X 7" flyers advertising the book.

I would want to buy your Book. Please let me when it is out for sale.. Keep it up..
"The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United States and Canada"
Old May 27th, 2016, 11:02 AM
cosmic88
Cosmo
87 RRC, 94 RRC, 95 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranewman View Post
Terianne...make sure you stop by the Rover camp and say hi....
So are you going this year for sure? Missed you last year... well not you, but your dumplin's.

After two years of ExPo East I will most likely not go again. Weather aside, the event is fully "experienced" once. While I did enjoy the first couple it was primarily due to the friends and sight seeing. I did not mind the rain much because the ensuing shenanigans / muddy hill climb were so much fun to watch.

This year you should join "us" out West for a few weeks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat