Is a 300tdi really the cats tits? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 28th, 2005, 11:01 AM
EndlessEarth4WD
Grant Guilbeault
1998 Rangie/1994 D90

Is a 300tdi really the cats tits?

..or is it the dogs bollock? I have never riden in a 300tdi powered D90. I have drooled over a couple that were getting built at BWO and I have spotted my underwear hearing one go by on a trail ride.

Those if you who own them, was it worth it? What do you like about it? What do you not like? It is certainly a pricey road to go down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Much better fuel economy. Much simpler to diagnose. That is about it. The V8s have much more power assuming they are in good tune.

IMO, well tuned out TDIs are nicer to drive than gasoline engines, but not everyone feels that way. It shouldn't be that expensive to do if you don't mind lots of legwork. It may depend where you live. Personally, I could have all the parts in my hands in a couple of hours, but it would depends on what kind of supplier you have in your nexk of the woods.
Old October 28th, 2005, 11:57 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
yeah, it really is the business. to be sure, it is not a V8, so the comparison isnt that good - its not like one is clearly superior to the other across the board.

Practically speaking, I dont miss anything about the V8. The Tdi accellerates fine when the turbo kicks in, the fuel mileage is fab, and I can run biodiesel, there isnt a computer to throw codes all the time, and the motor isnt always on the threshold of overheating.

I think you'll dig the Tdi, but there are enough people in you area who have them, so you can probably check it out before you take the plunge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2005, 02:58 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Were any of the Camel trophy trucks V8's?

That's your answer.
Old October 28th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Can't say I know anything about the Tdi, but a certain Auburn kicker might know about cats...
Attached Images
File Type: bmp cat.bmp (549.7 KB, 184 views)
Old October 28th, 2005, 06:08 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Funny alot of people want the V8 in the UK 300TDI is to slow,its different driving over there ,3rd low and boot it kind of thing.momentum is the key to get through mud up grassy hills ect where as its mainly rock climbing here.i had a 1996 110 300tdi which was great no trouble at all but at one time i thought of a v8 change.we used to wheel on a sunday night hit this river which we used to travel about a 1/4ml i'd go first and my freinds used to follow in their v8 90's get the bow wave going then boot it, once they start coughing and spluttering go back and tow em out .i have been in water many a time where the water was half way up the windscreen and cant find the gear stick and never had a problem.in other words you cant beat a TDI

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 28th, 2005, 06:47 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its not surprising that some in the UK want a V8. The sad theme is that people just want a friggin choice - a point which is either lost or ignored on the corporate types who are offering the products.
Old October 28th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

300 Tdi's suck. Rover V8's suck harder. That being said, I dig my 300 but I only use it for Rockcrawling, over long drives it gets anoying not getting above 75 (gearing, not power).

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 28th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The V8 really isn't a bad engine at all, there are a lot of things that I like about it from a mechanical standpoint such as the shaft mounted rockers and open lifter valley. The cross-bolting on the 4.0's and 4.6's is also a nice touch, better than a 350 Chevy with 4-bolt mains because it reinforces on another axis. (which is why my wife's 2001 Vette is also cross-bolted). Supposedly the later 3.9 blocks are reinforced for the cross-bolting as well, they just don't have the holes drilled.

The problem is that it's just in too big of a vehicle for it's output and displacement by todays standards. It's got close to the same output as the 4.0 Jeep I6, yet weighs less due to the aluminum construction. But the Defender is a LOT heavier than a Wrangler. Ever compare frames? The D-90 frame is massive compared to the Wrangler.

Realistically, the Defender should have had a gas engine in the range of 5 liters or more going by weight and aerodynamics. The 4.2 and later the 4.6 would have been nice. Once you start going with bigger tires and heavier accessories, you're really pushing the baby-8 more than you should.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 28th, 2005, 10:37 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I love my TDi. plenty of power for me even with the 35" tires. Like David said, I run out of gears though. I may look into a GKN overdrive for a 6th gear in the future since I also do a bit of highway drivin with my truck. But put it in low and first, you will climb anything. Most of the time wheelin, I have it in second low and it chugs up anything.. got to love it. I would not take a v8 for anything now..

Randy
Old October 29th, 2005, 01:03 AM
jabber
m j

I think Hans touched on a good point. The D90 with a 5/+ litre would be a great thing.

Both have their good and bad points. But we wouldn't really have this discussion if it were an option to us!!!! (Reasonably speaking of course).
Old October 30th, 2005, 06:11 PM
EdF
Ed Freeman
2000 90 TD5

I've owned several 90's including a 200TDi (same output as a 300TDi and really the same engine), several V8's and two TD5's. You guessed, I live in the UK.. My preference would be a V8 of 150bhp plus, but with the price of gas here (DOUBLE the price it is in the US, please don't complain!) they're not viable if doing a reasonable mileage. Some readers dissatisfaction with the size of engines has to be measured against the price of gas in the main LR markets at the time of development. Also, I believe LR see the main market for D90's as UK farmers who they perceive pulling heavy trailers full of sheep most of the time.
The TD5 is a good engine, which I prefer over the TDi as it's smoother and more powerful, but it's not liked by many as it has different characteristics and can even be stalled quite easily when pulling away and has AAAGGGHHH!! electronic engine management. Series and some 200/300TDi owners faint dead away at the mention of the phrase. I've just bought my second TD5 and have it partially stripped to replace a gearbox oil seal (fun!) and to change the gearing. TDiGuy above mentioned he was considering an overdrive. I wouldn't fit one as they are expensive ($1700 here) and I have been told they can suffer from oil starvation if left engaged for long periods, but there are two other options which you may be aware of. If not... You can buy the Discovery 2 final drive gears which fit into the transfer gearbox of a Defender, available for about $350 from Ashcrofts in England http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/ They are out of stock until end of November, do check with Ashcrofts for suitability, though.. Or, you can change the crownwheel (ring?) and pinion in the differentials using parts from KAM, again in England. http://www.kamdiffs.com/ They make a 2.83:1 set which gives a greater percentage change (25%) than the transfer box ratio change (15%) but you'll need some decent power to 'pull' it. KAM reckon my TD5 with 140bhp (with chip) will be okay. Priced at about $300 per set, and you'll need two sets and will have some fun work to do to install them. KAM also make limited slip and locking diffs. I spoke to the boss last week and he is now selling to the UK military and they don't (usually) buy junk.. Fitting the different diff. gears mean everything is altered, fitting the transfer box gears only affects high range. Which is what I'll be doing - again.
Old October 30th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Very nice post.-- Randy, don't forget that you can swap your t-case with a NAS 1.2 t-case and pocket a few hundred in the process as the 1.4 is worth more to some people. This will drop your gears across the board 14% or so. I found first gear on the street to be a little too low anyway so it might be a really good option. With the gears I just put in, I think I might do it too, maybe. I drive fast rarely with the truck anyway.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 30th, 2005, 09:42 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I run a 1.2 and am perfectly happy with it. The most extreme off roading my truck sees is range roads on military installations, so I'm not doing anything thats pushing the envelope at all.
Old October 30th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I run a 1.2 and am perfectly happy with it. The most extreme off roading my truck sees is range roads on military installations, so I'm not doing anything thats pushing the envelope at all.
And, the 1.2 is High range only so it doesn't affect offroad gearing.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 30th, 2005, 11:44 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
exactly
Old October 31st, 2005, 09:57 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
how about getting parts for these things here in the states. it seems like RDS and RN would be able to keep a steady supply of parts for the 300tdi's?
Old October 31st, 2005, 01:13 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
parts are easy, no worries at all.
Old October 31st, 2005, 02:02 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I am assuming that anyone who is thinking about a TDi does not have to worry about Smog requirements or has found a way around the problem. I would love a diesel but it is at least for me cost prohibitive. I cant afford new tires let alone a new engine. My carburated V8 has good power and is easy to work on. No codes to worry about. With Edelbrock intake manifold and 4 barrel carb it gained alot of seat of the pants HP. It cruises all day at 75 if there is no headwind. It needs a new cam and this should help even more and improve MPG. MPG now is about 11-13 hwy and 11 city. It is a D130 so it is pretty heavy so I am under no illusion it should do much better. Overall I am very happy with the carbed V8. Parts are easy and cheap to come by, easy to work on and with the right mods you can easily get over 200hp. I aint anywhere near that yet but at least I could be if I wanted to spend a few more $$$.
Old October 31st, 2005, 02:32 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Does anyone have a graph that shows the torque & HP output of a 300Tdi relative to RPM?
Rob

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
300tdi, tdi