Ironic how a thread talking about over-moderation got closed - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 13th, 2012, 12:09 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
When an issue is brought to our attention (such as this one) we will discuss this issue as a team and communicate with members via PM once we decide how to proceed.
There it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2012, 02:46 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Of course these threads have lots of views. People always rubberneck a crash but it doesn't mean you want to be part of one. Lots of people look, not so many post.

Even then, the debate boils down to those who want to be reasonable versus those who think a somewhat lower standard should carry the day. People who spend their time on a bunch of different fora forget that a site like this is for people that are into Defenders, not people who are into fora. There is no need to cater to the forum fans, they can get their fix anywhere.

And a separate note: "brave behind the keyboard" is a common phrase, but I'm amazed at the stuff that has been said to me and others here. If someone seriously told me to "fuck off" at the aforementioned smokey bar or Applebee's, we'd have a serious problem. People who are "cool if you get to know them" but assholes on the web are spineless. On a personal level, if you want to treat me with contempt here, I expect you to treat me the same way if and when we meet. At least that would indicate integrity combined with a willingness to confront an actual person.

So please, if you're into Defenders and want to share info with like-minded people, stick around. If you are here to amuse yourself at other's expense or just satisfy yourself that you are cooler than everyone else, then just stay away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 13th, 2012, 03:48 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Of course these threads have lots of views. People always rubberneck a crash but it doesn't mean you want to be part of one. Lots of people look, not so many post.

Even then, the debate boils down to those who want to be reasonable versus those who think a somewhat lower standard should carry the day. People who spend their time on a bunch of different fora forget that a site like this is for people that are into Defenders, not people who are into fora. There is no need to cater to the forum fans, they can get their fix anywhere.

And a separate note: "brave behind the keyboard" is a common phrase, but I'm amazed at the stuff that has been said to me and others here. If someone seriously told me to "fuck off" at the aforementioned smokey bar or Applebee's, we'd have a serious problem. People who are "cool if you get to know them" but assholes on the web are spineless. On a personal level, if you want to treat me with contempt here, I expect you to treat me the same way if and when we meet. At least that would indicate integrity combined with a willingness to confront an actual person.

So please, if you're into Defenders and want to share info with like-minded people, stick around. If you are here to amuse yourself at other's expense or just satisfy yourself that you are cooler than everyone else, then just stay away.
Well put Jim, and I believe a majority of the participants here feel this exact same way - I know I do. I understand that some folks are apprehensive about change, as am I, but as long as the clientele remains a solid base it should sort itself out in the long run. And as long as boundaries are not overstepped - on both sides (which is what I think a few seem to be concerned with) - things should continue operating as normal.

We're all adults here, so as long as things are within the confines typical "guy" behavior I say let everyone sort out their own issues. You guys have better things to do than babysit us idiots . And the same goes for all the members, act like a normal human being and either: a) treat others like you'd want to be treated, or b) ignore anyone that annoys the sh*t out of you. As long as actions are not crossing any perceived moral or legal boundary then so be it. And if they do cross that boundary it will be dealt with, as we've all seen.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2012, 04:20 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Jim, Chris or whoever. I hate to be lazy but I just do not have time to read a ton of post. I have not been on the site much at all the last six months. Can one of you guys sum up for me what the hell is going on? What changed? Thanks in advance.
Old February 13th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsteil View Post
Jim, Chris or whoever. I hate to be lazy but I just do not have time to read a ton of post. I have not been on the site much at all the last six months. Can one of you guys sum up for me what the hell is going on? What changed? Thanks in advance.
Read the announcements page for details: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...&daysprune=365
Old February 13th, 2012, 04:41 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Thanks John. I had no idea.
Old February 13th, 2012, 04:50 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Well put Jim. Couldn't agree more.
Old February 14th, 2012, 06:51 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
This thread has over 2000 views in 40 hours. The other closed one has 3000 in 48. Both are clearly "hits" on D-90.

Recall when DC101 and WNBC were trying to contain Howard Stern…. they couldn’t. The execs wanted to reel him in or show him the door. That was until they determined people who hated Stern listened to his show ~ 2x more than the people who liked it. They relented and reaped the profits.
I miss the Greaseman!!
Old February 14th, 2012, 09:03 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco dog View Post
I miss the Greaseman!!
"Who's your daddy?" LOL
Old February 14th, 2012, 10:33 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I was told there'd be no math.
I don't do math on weekends. True story. (Aware I'm not helping)
Old February 14th, 2012, 05:23 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I think that the "Site Team" is completely misreading this entire situation. This uproar isn't happening because you banned Dan. Dan has been banned from a number of Land Rover sites and none of us (his friends) ever made an uproar when that happened. Hey, we all make our own beds and Dan has made his. Our beef is not with the ban; our beef is with the way that the "Site Team" handled it. You guys made some big P.R. mistakes:

- The ban happened right around the time the new ownership was announced. Coincidence or not, it comes across as too severe and too soon.

- The Site Team responded in a very arrogant way when members griped about the ban. You should have been more delicate or--better yet--said nothing at all. Instead, you responded with a "we know what's best for you" attitude that chafed many of us. The very wording of your group, "Site Team", reeks of Big Brother.

- Some are upset that D90 Source was sold. They have no right to be. You bought it, fair and square and CvC got some cash out of this money pit. America! That said, Andy has done a horrible job of communicating his intent with this acquisition. We're not idiots and we know that your primary motivation is to make money here. Please don't insult our intelligence by trying to pretend that you're Land Rover enthusiasts and act like you bought it to support the community. It's obvious that you aren't enthusiasts, and we both know that you're not going to buy Defenders anytime soon.

- You failed miserably with your responses to the questions about PM privacy. Janet lied outright when she said that the Site Team doesn't have this access. You run vBulletin forums for a living. I don't believe for a minute that you don't have administrator rights in the vBulletin software. Her response showed zero integrity and her continued participation in the thread only dug the hole deeper.

If you guys want to stop this forum's steady slide into suckdom, you need to come to terms with the issues above. Stop lying, be honest about your intentions here, and start treating long-time members with respect. Calling us "shit stirrers" and "tinfoil hat wearers" is outrageous.
Old February 14th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Spot on, Chris.
Old February 14th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Roverhound
Walter Dent
2000 D2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Spot on, Chris.
Jeff, don't forget to add DII to your list.
I notice you don't have a Defender, according to a member who is currently ignoring me, you shouldn't be here.
Old February 14th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverhound View Post
Jeff, don't forget to add DII to your list.
I notice you don't have a Defender, according to a member who is currently ignoring me, you shouldn't be here.
Oops, you're right.
No Defender for me, do they use Land Rover parts in them or just Defender parts?
Old February 14th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:

Jim,

While I respect your knowledge and certainly appreciate your service, BUT , I have to tell you, that post comes a tad threatening, certainly not the tone to be set by an Admin.

On that same note, I am not the kind of person that would easily ( if at all ) fly off the handle and disrespect anyone or insulting, where I come from there is a chance of a fat lip when things like that take place. HOWEVER, if I were ever put in a situation that I need to resort to tell ANYONE to Go Fuck Yourself , rest assure it will not change in person, as I will expect the same.
Old February 14th, 2012, 09:53 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I

If you guys want to stop this forum's steady slide into suckdom, you need to come to terms with the issues above. Stop lying, be honest about your intentions here, and start treating long-time members with respect. Calling us "shit stirrers" and "tinfoil hat wearers" is outrageous.
This so-called slide into suckdom is ONLY caused by people complaining about the new ownership.

Although I am somewhat amused by the side-show that goes on here once and a while if halted tomorrow I would not miss it a bit.

Give the new owners a break....

Last time I checked, this was still free for me.

Go start up a new site if you are so unhappy....

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old February 15th, 2012, 08:18 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
People who spend their time on a bunch of different fora forget that a site like this is for people that are into Defenders, not people who are into fora.
On a lighter note...I had NO idea that the plural of forum was fora...this place CAN be educational...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fora

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old February 15th, 2012, 08:47 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
It was a typo, I meant to write "forumz"

Old February 15th, 2012, 09:44 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Very true, especially when it turns on some of the most helpful people on this site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSLongLake View Post
This so-called slide into suckdom is ONLY caused by people complaining about the new ownership.

Although I am somewhat amused by the side-show that goes on here once and a while if halted tomorrow I would not miss it a bit.

Give the new owners a break....

Last time I checked, this was still free for me.

Go start up a new site if you are so unhappy....
Old February 15th, 2012, 01:19 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Going with the bar theme - why not set up a locals only / old salty owner / holier than tho / free for all sub forum? To gain entry you have to have a landie, have 1000 posts, have been on D-90 since it was a yahoo group, or help pay for server costs.

New members wouldn't be able to see it and just let it moderate itself. I am in vt snowboarding and before you enter the park, into the trees, or duck a rope for a side-country line there are signs - enter at your own risk. Why note just do a side-country sub forum?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
mod