Ironic how a thread talking about over-moderation got closed - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 11th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
I also looked around down here in Brazil and there are some great trucks available at prices that are more reasonable then I thought.
http://www.ooyyo.ie/used-cars/land+r.../sort-year+asc
Andy,
It looks like you could pick up a D110 at a pretty good price in Brazil. You could buy a mid-late 80s truck for under $20k and keep it down there. You would have the option of bringing it into the states once its 25 years old. That would make for a hell of a road trip to Dallas.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2012, 09:51 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
Thats great.

It starts with an earthquake, birds, snakes, an airplane...

...I feel fine.

-Jeff
Lenny Bruce is not afraid.
Old February 11th, 2012, 09:53 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbartley1 View Post
At the last MAR I went to I talked to a few people that have said that D90 was starting to suck because it was no longer a "gentleman's forum" -
Steve, this forum has started to suck because the Defender community is not like it used to be. NAS Defenders used to be really expensive and cream puff examples were a dime-a-dozen. Now you can pick up a beater for $12K and every ex-Jeeper with a two car garage can buy one. The new generation of owners is cheaper than ever and the hack-job is good enough for them. Furthermore, ExPo-ization has taken hold in the Defender community and now everyone wants a Baja Rack and a trailer with an RTT and kitchen. Nobody gives a shit about a pristine Defender anymore. It's all about how much bullshit you can bolt on and pull behind your truck. The Moron Hordes (credit for that term goes to Jack Quinlan) have taken over and they are here to stay and this site will never be the same again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2012, 10:02 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
I was going to start a thread like this, but decided to let it go. QUIT closing threads please. Let people voice their opinions whether it is favorable or not. Thanks.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old February 11th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverguy View Post
I was going to start a thread like this, but decided to let it go. QUIT closing threads please. Let people voice their opinions whether it is favorable or not. Thanks.
Yup.
Old February 11th, 2012, 10:09 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I agree please let it go. I like watching idiots talk about how great it was when only high rollers could afford Defenders. I'm sure the UK folks especially get a kick out of that since over there they are essentially glorified farm equipment and working vehicles.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 11th, 2012, 10:10 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

The only changes I see are the addition of 3 new mods that don't moderate anything. Personally, I have deleted two spam posts and moved two threads from the for sale section to misc and one to the technical forum. Aside from banning Dan and closing a thread, not much has changed. The sky is not falling - relax.

This isn't Expo nor is it discoWeb, it's the happy median.

Old February 11th, 2012, 10:22 PM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
This thread is a crack-up. You have two guys who both bought their way into this community--one by buying a D110 that somebody else restored, and the other by buying the website--but neither have contributed anything to this site. Both of them showed up in 2011 and have barely over 100 posts, yet both claim to have a "vision" for this site and think they know what's best for this place.

Andy, before you start calling people shit-stirrers, take a few minutes and learn about some of the people who posted in that closed thread. People like Ron and Phillip have contributed thousands of useful posts here. All of the check-out-my-super-awesome-iPad-swivel-build posts in the world won't equal one of Ron's tech posts. When you run the old-timer regulars off, who is going to patiently answer your newcomers questions? The DiscoNomad--errrrrr----NomaD110? Good luck with that!
Why so threatened by me? Who cares if I can afford to buy a fully restored D-110 or build-up an awesome Discovery? I never claimed that my posts are more valuable then anyone else's. My comments are just opinions... Use the ignore feature if you hate my posts so much or just chill.
Old February 11th, 2012, 10:27 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Steve, this forum has started to suck because the Defender community is not like it used to be. NAS Defenders used to be really expensive and cream puff examples were a dime-a-dozen. Now you can pick up a beater for $12K and every ex-Jeeper with a two car garage can buy one. The new generation of owners is cheaper than ever and the hack-job is good enough for them. Furthermore, ExPo-ization has taken hold in the Defender community and now everyone wants a Baja Rack and a trailer with an RTT and kitchen. Nobody gives a shit about a pristine Defender anymore. It's all about how much bullshit you can bolt on and pull behind your truck. The Moron Hordes (credit for that term goes to Jack Quinlan) have taken over and they are here to stay and this site will never be the same again.
So why are you still here?

So much drama over an internet forum. What a joke.

Chris, Andy, keep up the good work.
Old February 11th, 2012, 11:30 PM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomaD110 View Post
Why so threatened by me? Who cares if I can afford to buy a fully restored D-110 or build-up an awesome Discovery? I never claimed that my posts are more valuable then anyone else's. My comments are just opinions... Use the ignore feature if you hate my posts so much or just chill.
You're a dick...
Old February 12th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Ron,

thanks for starting this thread, because you have indeed captured the spirit behind my Closed Thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jonathan,

As we have spoken before, if the enforcement of old policies, or reaction to threats grant a ban, your ass should be in the curb as well ( discussed in another thread / emails and FTF ) as you cursed, implied that you can kick Dan's ass with your MMA, I carry a .45ACP, etc. ) ; I have 0 bone with you, but lets call spade a spade.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andy,

Perhaps since you are still in Brasil, sit back Caipirinha in hand and re-visit the situation and perceptions.

Empowerment has been and remains one of the most dangerous tools in Leadership, many Managers self appoint themselves as Leaders, but they are not, one of the cores of Leadership it is a proactive effort rather than reactive.

Many self directed Teams can be extremely successful when the guidance is adequate and the constant training is available, but history has always showed that it is not something that happens overnight, and your passionate Team has/will easily de-rail.

Change it is a fact of life you said? Couldn't agree more, but the only way that change can succeed is with the proper deployment, the presentation of change has to be flawless to avoid a reaction, once again not the case here.

And I keep seeing over and over the constant remark of " IT IS WHAT IT IS or GO SOMEWHERE ELSE ", again, I would like to re-energize my statement on the Closed Thread, a forum without its members it is just an OKAY Internet piece of Real Estate as the members is the product you will indeed sell to your advertisers, listening to the Voice of those few concerned it is more of an asset than a liability.

Lastly no need to close a thread having the final word, it gives the Bonaparte perception.

And one more time for the record, I am not here trying to bully you, burn your place or any of the other pretty remarks.
Old February 12th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The levels of paranoia and self made drama is this and the other thread is beyond belief. There is obviously a small group that wants to create a problem when none exists. How about you just go back to talking about Defenders and stop crying wolf.
Old February 12th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Is that remark towards me?
Old February 12th, 2012, 12:36 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
I also looked around down here in Brazil and there are some great trucks available at prices that are more reasonable then I thought.
http://www.ooyyo.ie/used-cars/land+r.../sort-year+asc

How is your search going?
If you read this site (the what's legal thread -- lots of free non-legal legal advice in it), you will notice you can't import anything newer than an 87 legally. It would be cool to drive around Brazil, but you can't bring it back.

------ Follow up post added February 12th, 2012 12:44 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I agree please let it go. I like watching idiots talk about how great it was when only high rollers could afford Defenders.
I bought my first D-90 for $12k right about when this forum started and bought it again (yes the exact same truck) a year or two ago for $12k again. If anything pristine ones are worth more now. I am sure we would all like to be like ferrari chat where they talk at length about the best polish for their babies, but the rust buckets become rebuild threads and people trying to keep them on the road are this place's bread and butter (I note many people with daily driver D90s are have a ton of money).

And to Chris Snell, I appreciate that you like my tech posts. Although I do note I have been called a hack from time to time aka "Ron good." Could I cut a check to ECR tomorrow and tell them to do the works on that NAS 110 copley is selling that needs a few things? Sure, would I be happy with it? No. And nothing against ECR as mike and the gang do amazing work, but it is not my baby. As sick as it sounds, I actually like fixing and playing with these things (and trying my best to answer people's questions about doing it themselves). I also like the faded "portofino pink" paint, the dings here and there, etc.
Old February 12th, 2012, 01:01 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I bought my first D-90 for $12k right about when this forum started and bought it again (yes the exact same truck) a year or two ago for $12k again. If anything pristine ones are worth more now. I am sure we would all like to be like ferrari chat where they talk at length about the best polish for their babies, but the rust buckets become rebuild threads and people trying to keep them on the road are this place's bread and butter (I note many people with daily driver D90s are have a ton of money).
Ron, I was being sarcastic . I agree the fact that one does not have to spend a lot of money to get a lot of truck. It seems that some here pine for the days of when they could buy an "expensive" or "cream puff" truck and be in some exclusive club. Retarded.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 12th, 2012, 01:04 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I know Nathan, I was kind of poking fun at the whole thing too. It is like when my billionaire acquaintance gets out of his 10 year old jag with a dent in the door.
Old February 12th, 2012, 01:18 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I know Nathan, I was kind of poking fun at the whole thing too. It is like when my billionaire acquaintance gets out of his 10 year old jag with a dent in the door.
I kind of figured, but just wanted to make sure . Sometimes a little character on a vehicle is better than a restoration, I know I feel that way particularly on a Series.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 12th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Roverhound
Walter Dent
2000 D2

You guys gonna kiss?
Old February 12th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I think these discussions go to prove that self-moderation doesn't work. Dan crossed a line and he's out. Many here seem eager to jump to conclusions even though very few of you have all the facts. This was definitely not a case of over-moderation. It was the right thing to do. What I'm wondering is, where were all of you self-moderators to prevent that from happening? You are asking for the members to moderate themselves but what are you doing about it? Where would YOU draw the line? If self-moderation implies accepting every kind of vile and disturbing behavior in the book then it simply won't work. We have about 4500 other members here who are not interested in putting up with that kind of crap.

If you all are so concerned about over-moderation then you really need to lead by example. Start being more respectful. A crazy thing happens when you're respectful. People listen. If we make a conscious effort to be respectful when commenting on someones for sale thread there will never be a need to moderate or close a thread. Funny how that works. Many of you have been both rude and disrespectful to Andy. Not how you think that will benefit you. We should all start showing more respect in every post that we make from hereon.

I disagree about the site not changing at all. There is so much room for improvement here. Improvements that would benefit us all as members. Other than the forum there's a lot of stale features here that no one ever uses. We should replace those with new ones that we find more useful. It is up to us to figure out what we would want some of those improvements to be. A few improvements have already been implemented (increasing PM storage, larger resolution attachments, registry, etc) and that is a step in the right direction. This site, or anything else for that matter, will never be frozen in time. Permanence is an illusion. Get over it.

The false requirement that you would have to own a Defender to properly run this forum is absolute BS. Andy has a lot of experience running forums and that is all the experience he needs. He doesn't need to know shit about Defenders because WE provide the content. It's his job to facilitate that content, not contribute to it. If he likes Defenders and wants to get one thats great but I couldn't care less. Andy & team has done nothing but listen to all of our suggestions. All they are doing currently is to carry on the site as Chris intended and with the rules that Chris set up long ago, as well as make some small but long overdue improvements. That's it. Ask Chris if you have any doubt about this.

If you want this site to be a better, less moderated forum then do you part and don't be a shit-bag.
Old February 12th, 2012, 06:17 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Did all the new mods added to the team already have a grudge against Dan and want him banned long ago or are they all truly impartial?

You little rebel, I like you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
mod