Ireland in September, what to see/do - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 8th, 2013, 12:44 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Ireland in September, what to see/do

I'll be flying into Dublin, renting a car and have 5 days to see what I can see.
I'll take any suggestions, recommendations, warnings.

Thanks,
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2013, 07:43 AM
myoverlandrover
josh

I've been a few times and recommend the cliffs of moher http://www.cliffsofmoher.ie/mobile/
and while in Dublin the Guiness factory but the best times i had we're just exploring back roads and meeting locals at the pub in small towns.
Old August 8th, 2013, 06:28 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Nobody else has been to Ireland?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
See the Ring of Kerry. Also visit a small fishing town in the south called Kinsale.

Country is awesome, you will love it.

------ Follow up post added August 8th, 2013 06:42 PM ------

http://www.ringofkerrytourism.com/

------ Follow up post added August 8th, 2013 06:44 PM ------

http://kinsale.ie/
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:07 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Being Sept take a good rain coat, In my life time I have traveled all over Ireland, The place is great, the people are also, would say more about the people but the wife might read this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	irish trip 2010 067 guinness.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	77187   Click image for larger version

Name:	irish trip 2010 066.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	77188  

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old August 8th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Nobody else has been to Ireland?

I'm actually an Irish citizen. My Dad is Irish, and I've spent a good amount of time there. I would definitely not recommend going to the Guinness plant, it is a total waste of time. You basically walk through a bunch of rooms with televisions that explain the brewing process. It is cool having a pint in the tower, but not with it IMO. I've heard the Jameson plant is cool, however, I've never been. If you like Indian food, you can pretty much find great Indian food anywhere thanks to the British Empire. I always enjoy walking around Grafton St., loads of shops and food. St Stephens Green is a nice place to take a break if you're on Grafton st. and want to chill out. You can walk into any pub pretty much anywhere and most of the people will be very friendly. Definitely get fish-n-chips. Don't drink Connemara whiskey, it tastes like charcoal. Be cautious at night, there is a lot of crime in Dublin.

Also, I'd highly recommend going to the west coast. I've been going to Connemara my whole life and like it a lot there. There is a pub that is also the hardware and grocery store.

Dublin is a pretty good city to just go without plans, and you'll probably have a good time. I can't say that about every city I've been. Hopefully you'll be lucky and it won't be rainy. The last time I was there the weather was perfect, but it had been raining for six weeks straight the day before I got there.
Old August 11th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

I was just there in May. If you want a brewery tour, skip Guiness and travel to Kilkenny for the Smithwick's tour. Great little town. See the castle, climb the tower, and definitely drink some Kilkenny. Also concur on Kinsale. During the day, tour Fort Charles. At night check out the pubs. The Folk House was awesome. Live music and great atmosphere. If you are into whiskey, much to try. I'm now hooked on Green/Yellow Spot.

I wouldn't spend any time in the bigger cities like Cork, less Dublin. They are just like any other big city. They even have 'american' stores.

If you heed my comments, and like them, please bring me back a bottle of Green Spot.

Mark
Old August 12th, 2013, 11:45 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoverlandrover View Post
I've been a few times and recommend the cliffs of moher http://www.cliffsofmoher.ie/mobile/
and while in Dublin the Guiness factory but the best times i had we're just exploring back roads and meeting locals at the pub in small towns.
If going to the cliffs, stay at least a full day/night in Galway too (about an hour north of the Cliffs). Drink some pints and listen to some trad music there. Also bring your camera for galway harbour.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat