Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 25th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep29 View Post
This thread made me realize that I don't need a new and expensive, touch-screen radio and dash mount when I can just use my iPad with 4G. It's perfect and way more advanced than any touch screen radio.
Thoughts?
Yes and no....
iPad does all that and more (and a better job of it) Nav/Phone/Music/Pandora etc.
The only problem is that it is sort of an "attractive target" if left in your Defender for more than 30 seconds in any parking lot or on the street. it is just too tempting a target, whereas a built in radio/Nav system requires some hard core commitment to boost. the one time I forgot to lock the iPad in the center cubby would be the last time I saw it I'm sure.

Id much rather have a Ram mount and iPad doing the job of media/NAV streaming and have any USB capable head unit driving speakers/amps, but until which time I have a trained German Shepard sitting in my D at all times as an anti-theft device.....

I still may get the Ram mount and use the iPad for GPS app instead of adding the navigation module to my Pioneer, but I rarely need sat-nav anyway, so it wouldn't be like I'd be leaving the lave often when I was using the iPad as a nav tool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0886.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	65116  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post

Yes and no....
iPad does all that and more (and a better job of it) Nav/Phone/Music/Pandora etc.
The only problem is that it is sort of an "attractive target" if left in your Defender for more than 30 seconds in any parking lot or on the street. it is just too tempting a target, whereas a built in radio/Nav system requires some hard core commitment to boost. the one time I forgot to lock the iPad in the center cubby would be the last time I saw it I'm sure.

Id much rather have a Ram mount and iPad doing the job of media/NAV streaming and have any USB capable head unit driving speakers/amps, but until which time I have a trained German Shepard sitting in my D at all times as an anti-theft device.....

I still may get the Ram mount and use the iPad for GPS app instead of adding the navigation module to my Pioneer, but I rarely need sat-nav anyway, so it wouldn't be like I'd be leaving the lave often when I was using the iPad as a nav tool.
I hear ya. My D90 is just a weekend cruising vehicle but if I ever leave it anywhere I will undoubtedly take the iPad with me. The pros far outweigh the cons IMO. Got my Ram mount today so here's the finished product. Really digging it...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3820451994.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	65131   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3608919491.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	65132  

Name:	image-89846445.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	65133  
'96 D1 SE7 Willow Green - SOLD
Old October 2nd, 2013, 10:42 PM
Sned
Ed
1994 NAS D90

Registry
This looks like an excellent solution for ipad control USB'd to tuner. Do you know if I simply specify ProClip Center Mount for the clip that fits a D90 dash?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 4th, 2013, 12:12 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Very cool iPhone/iPod charging mount:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=38898
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	iPhone Dash.jpg