Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 27th, 2015, 08:14 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Iphone 5 problems

So one of my kids has a hand-me-down 5 that has developed a on/off button problem and the battery is shitting the bed. I found an article on Cnet that says Apple is fixing and/or replacing for these issues through March 2016.

I need to set up an appointment with Apple Store but in the meantime has anyone experienced this apple repair program or have suggestions I might want to know about?

Either way I will report back my experience in case this is helpful for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2015, 08:20 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
If Apple don't help ... Look at ifixit.com and replace the battery yourself.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 27th, 2015, 08:42 AM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
I have had mine since they were released. My power button failed less then a year in and i never did anything until it was over two years old. Took it in to the apple store and they exchanged for a new phone back in Feb. Is nice having basically a new phone at no cost!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2015, 08:49 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
So one of my kids has a hand-me-down 5 that has developed a on/off button problem and the battery is shitting the bed. I found an article on Cnet that says Apple is fixing and/or replacing for these issues through March 2016.

I need to set up an appointment with Apple Store but in the meantime has anyone experienced this apple repair program or have suggestions I might want to know about?

Either way I will report back my experience in case this is helpful for others.
Clay,
My i5 had this same failure after about a year (and made for a good excuse for a i6). The i5 sat unused for months until I walked into the Reston Apple store last November. They ran the phone through a trick set of diagnostics (very interesting to watch), confirmed that just the switch was bad, and shipped it out for repair. About 5 days later, Apple emailed saying it was ready for pickup. Not only did Apple replace the switch, but they put in a new battery, updated the iOS, and confirmed all systems were a go. It was essentially receiving a brand new i5 -- for free. Way to go Apple! Only downside was when giving the i5 (that was on my company's AT&T plan) to my daughter and trying unlock it to be on her mom's Verizon plan, don't do it. It does not work. I don't care what you read or hear. You will commit hours unlocking the phone via AT&T's website (they don't make it easy) then screwing around with Verizon (who's only motivation is to sell you a new phone). At the end of the day, it did move over to Verizon, but worked only on their lowest dog slow network. Not the 4G or the network(s) one step slower.
Old August 27th, 2015, 09:32 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
thanks guys. good to know I wont be wasting time setting an appointment and going through the initial processes.
Old August 31st, 2015, 07:43 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Took phone to Apple Store. They poked around and decided to send it out for repair of button and battery. We'll see how it comes back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 31st, 2015, 11:05 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
My iphone 5 had the battery fail while it was still under warranty. I think they replaced it with the same crappy, defective batteries they came with. It's bad again, and if you look it up for the battery recall it says it doesn't qualify because it's already been replaced once under warranty. At least the power button is still covered.

Not that I care all that much because I gave the phone to a friend, but if I were still using it, I'd be upset.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat