iPhone - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 3rd, 2007, 02:53 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

iPhone

iDamn it! The iMarketing has me totally iSucked into wanting one of these iPhones. Anyone here pull the iTrigger (not you Tony) on one? How is the call quality? itried out a Blackberry 8800 the other day and iCant hear iCrap on them.
Anyone have insider connections with Apple or can grab one off the back of a truck? (i'M kidding about that last one).

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2007, 03:50 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
A buddy of mine is a member of the Apple consultents network so he might be a bit biased. He likes it more than he did the palm phone he has been using for years. It's way more high tech than what my life needs but man is it cool!

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:00 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I ordered one for my wife for her bday. hasn't shipped yet, but should have it (theoretically) in next few days. first piece of technology that every got her excited. I'll let you know. I have an SX66 which I love but can't use because of work, and a corporate blackberry, which I can't stand. I was really wishing the bastards would go under in that law suit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:04 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

No iPhone here, but the Blackberry Pearl is very good with calling. I've never cared for the 'looks like it belongs on a tool belt' style large models that you had to more or less wear. The Pearl easily fits in your pocket, and the keyboard suffices for my on the go email needs.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:14 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I havent found a Blackberry yet that I can hear a conversation on. I'd really like to go to something like blackberry/iPhone/Blackjack but seeing how it is supposed to be my phone, one I cant hear on doesnt do it for me. Even my Razr I had to find a hack program to boost the ear piece volume on.

Anyway, wanted to hear how the call volume/quality was on the iPhone from someone who had one.

I think the D-90 Source could use a evaluation unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:16 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
They need to hurry up and come out with a 40 or 80 gb version. Then I will buy it and replace the ipod as well. Would be killer.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:53 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
I havent found a Blackberry yet that I can hear a conversation on. I'd really like to go to something like blackberry/iPhone/Blackjack but seeing how it is supposed to be my phone, one I cant hear on doesnt do it for me. Even my Razr I had to find a hack program to boost the ear piece volume on.

Anyway, wanted to hear how the call volume/quality was on the iPhone from someone who had one.

I think the D-90 Source could use a evaluation unit.
Hearing aid time? Neighbor has the iPhone and so far has mixed feelings. ATT out here sucks so he's not too happy with it. The broadband barely works but that's probably due to crappy service here. No word on call quality though. On the plus side he's digging the interface.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:59 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

I got the 8gig for me and the 4gig for my wife on the launch day . I thought they were going to be sold out but i went to the apple store at 8:45 after a nice dinner and the guy at the counter said 8gig or 4gig. I couldnt believe it, with all the people that waited days. There were 300 people lined up before the store opened.
I sold my blackberry 8800 to a fellow employee.
I recommend playing with one before commiting to a 2yr contract and a 500 to 600 price tag.
Syncing to my mac was super easy, the blackberry didnt. It automatically syncs to Mail, Addressbook, iCal, iTunes and iPhoto.
The call recepition is good, no dropped calls, and no complaints on the sound quality.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 05:35 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover
Hearing aid time? Neighbor has the iPhone and so far has mixed feelings. ATT out here sucks so he's not too happy with it. The broadband barely works but that's probably due to crappy service here. No word on call quality though. On the plus side he's digging the interface.
Actually I do have slight hearing issue from the years of working with bands so I have issues with a lot of cell phones.

I have real good ATT/Cingular coverage here all over Austin as well as had real good luck with the Edge network so thats not a issue for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpodgorski
I got the 8gig for me and the 4gig for my wife on the launch day . I thought they were going to be sold out but i went to the apple store at 8:45 after a nice dinner and the guy at the counter said 8gig or 4gig. I couldnt believe it, with all the people that waited days. There were 300 people lined up before the store opened.
I sold my blackberry 8800 to a fellow employee.
I recommend playing with one before commiting to a 2yr contract and a 500 to 600 price tag.
Syncing to my mac was super easy, the blackberry didnt. It automatically syncs to Mail, Addressbook, iCal, iTunes and iPhoto.
The call recepition is good, no dropped calls, and no complaints on the sound quality.
I've been hearing the same story about people going in late in the day and out the door with units 15 minutes later. I think everyone was worried about Xbox360 syndrome or something.

How was the sound volumes compared to the 8800?

Quote:
[/size]
Old July 3rd, 2007, 05:47 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

I thought the sound volume on the blackberry was LOUDER, the sound for email, text and voice mail notification is quiet, I have it set up to vibrate and ring so I dont miss anything.

I think the people that waited for three days + should have gotten the phone for free.
I bought them thinking I was at the right place at the right time. Then on Saturday there were more available. Some places had them on Sunday too.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:25 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Sorry, i should specify, how does the in-call volume compare?

Quote:
[/size]
Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:28 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

In call is about the same, I havent had the need to increase the volume, I currently have it set just below the half way point.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:40 PM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

seriously guys lets think about this...if you really want an iphone just wait for the next one to come out...you kno its going to be better than the original considering its the first time that the operating system has ever been launched they should fix things plus add more memory...seriously you know apple already has one waiting to release to trump the one before thats how these companies work so if you want one of these iphones (just like I do) i would rather wait on the craze and see what they come out with next in like 4 months...maybe better looking or other colors something that makes you want another one..so i personally am going to wait b/c i hear these things are really really legit
-ky
Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:47 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
I plan on getting one. Probably not for a few more weeks, I too want to know what the over all consensus is, plus I've only had my BlackJack for about 4 maybe 5 months. I really don't have any complaints with the BlackJack, only the fact that I'm paying a lot more for my plan than the ones offered to iPhone users.

Can someone confirm a rumor about a $2000 one-time-payment plan for the next 2 maybe 3 years with the iPhone? It's suppose to include unlimited everything...
Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:53 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Ariesblu
seriously guys lets think about this...if you really want an iphone just wait for the next one to come out...you kno its going to be better than the original considering its the first time that the operating system has ever been launched they should fix things plus add more memory...seriously you know apple already has one waiting to release to trump the one before thats how these companies work so if you want one of these iphones (just like I do) i would rather wait on the craze and see what they come out with next in like 4 months...maybe better looking or other colors something that makes you want another one..so i personally am going to wait b/c i hear these things are really really legit
-ky
The next gen will certainly have more disk space. Also, any product issues will be corrected, and more business networks will have connectivity straightened out, too.

It really is fun, though, getting something new. However, I imagine there will be something more tempting out by Christmas, if not right after. Let the other folks be the testers. Wait six months to get the improvements and all the accessories.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:10 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Just did some reading from this iPhone forum, (post #201)I guess the sim card is internal and you won't have access to it. I wonder if this was done so it can't be unlocked for use by other carriers.

Here is some useful comparison data...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone.gif
Views:	134
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	9745  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:57 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I've seen pictures of real iPhone units with the SIM tray opened and I also found this later in the thread on that site linked above.

Martin, can you snap a pic of the top of your iPhone and confirm if the sim tray can be opened?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone05.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	9746   Click image for larger version

Name:	sim.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	9747  

Quote:
[/size]
Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:24 PM
vpod
Vaun Podlogar
D110 NAS 4.6

i'Ve had a lot of phones and the Nokia N95 is the king!... and a Blackjack for email on Exchange server.
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

...the next will be better...and better...and if you wait long enough for the next best thing, you will never have jack crap. I am not saying rush out and get one, but I am saying that if you are worried that technology will get better then DUH! YOu would never get a TV or anything with a circuit board. That said, it is not worth $500 and 2 years for me. Cool, but not that cool. I would MUCH rather be 4wd'ing, hiking, climbing, skateboarding, running........................................... ...........than playing with a fn phone......
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:38 AM
chrisconnie
Adam Hairston
97 LE #127/300

Seriously ask yourself...what does it do better than what you already have? Better phone? Better email? Better MP3 player? How much storage do you need? Wouldn't you like to swap batteries? Swap SD or other card types? If you just want it because you think it's cool, great. I get that. But what do you need the device to do?

Touch screen has been available for a long time. Look at the Samsung i730(The company Apple uses for some of it's internals for the iPhone). Are you REALLY going to surf the web for hours on a 3.5 inch screen? OK, if you twist the phone sideways the screen moves automagicallyl. COOL! Uh, I can do that on several other devices. Have you ever surfed the web on your phone? It sucks. Quick news updates and such, fine. But for any length of time, break out the Tylenol.

Apple does a tremendous job of converging existing technology in a great package, making it stupidly easy to use, sexy to look at, and then marketing that package so you have to have it.

Do yourself a big favor. Wait 1 year. The price will be half or less, the capacity and capability's will be 2x or more than what they are today, and there will be multiple hacks available to run the phone on any network you want (no, you will not be stuck with ATT) and the major bugs will be squashed. IMO.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat