Introduction... any other New Yorkers? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 25th, 2005, 03:53 PM
dieselrover
Scott Wilson
1979 SIII 2.8Tdi

Introduction... any other New Yorkers?

Just thought I'd drop a line and introduce myself. I'm not new to rovering, but tended to stick around the range rover lists - since that's what I had.

Anyway, I'm in Brooklyn and just came back from living in the UK for a couple of years. As a matter of fact, I'm going to Staten Island to collect my trucks that I brought back with me on Tuesday! Anyone in the area bored and have the day off? I could certainly use a hand lifting a couple of things and with shuttling back and forth.

I'll be rebuilding the 109 on a coil chassis and will most likely need some coaching from anyone who has rebuilt a truck or done a 200tdi conversion before. I can see the cooling and the exhaust being the biggest sticking points.

My other truck is an 88" that has already been transplanted onto coils and plan to take it on Winter Romp. It's taken me offroading in the UK, France, and Morocco, so I'm pretty attached!

My girlfriend drives too, and we'd love to hear about any outings in the area...

-s
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scott2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	452.2 KB
ID:	4677   Click image for larger version

Name:	scott3.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	4678  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 25th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey Scott! Welcome to the forum! Not sure what Rovering goes on in the NYC area, but I hope to see you at the Winter Romp!
Old December 26th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Out on the Island here. Not sure how much help I'll be for your quests..... already have my day planned on Tuesday, and never worked on a Diesel in my life. Though I'll chip in what I can for advice :-)

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2005, 09:08 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

check out R.O.V.E.R.S. We have an event at a hunting camp on Jan 21-22 in Pike County PA (should be less than 2 hours from you). Enough snow rovering to satisfy. One ex-pat actually has a 200Tdi powered 109 so you could check the exhaust. My bet would be you can make it work with stock off the shelf parts (I have a surplus to my need 300Tdi rear exhaust if you are interested). Quite a few ex-pats are among the club membership. Not exactly the hardest core bunch but lots of good people and while it is basically a SE Penn./NJ/MD club due to the lack of wheeling in NYC there are a number of members up that was as well.

http://www.roversclub.org/
Old December 26th, 2005, 10:33 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Hi Scott,

welcome to NY! I'm up by the Tappan Zee bridge and work down by the World Trade Center. My friend/partner Adrian is over in Rosalend, NJ. We have a small group in the NY (Long Island)/NJ/CT area that get together for shop days and local wheeling.

I have a dentists appointment on Tuesday morning but am free in the afternoon. Let me know if you need any help in the afternoon and I'd be happy to give you a hand.

Hope to hear from you.

John C.
Old December 27th, 2005, 10:37 PM
dieselrover
Scott Wilson
1979 SIII 2.8Tdi

Thanks for the offers of help - we managed fairly well actually. For those who are curious, you can fit exactly one 109" and two 88" vehicles in a 40' container with just enough space for an old tire in between each of them and the walls.

later,

Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	unloading1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	4683   Click image for larger version

Name:	unloading2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	4684  

Name:	unloading3.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	4685  

Old December 28th, 2005, 10:52 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

that is one strong roof rack, I can't believe it held a chassis.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old December 28th, 2005, 11:45 AM
dieselrover
Scott Wilson
1979 SIII 2.8Tdi

I should mention that I didn't drive it like that - I had Jake Wright (UK land rover shop) do the loading for me, and he had done that once before. It was just loaded right before going in and we took it off with a forklift right after taking it out. The roofrack is a Brownchurch heavy duty... even so I wouldn't have wanted to go around any corners like that!

Speaking of the rack... does anyone know where I can get specialized plywood in the US? I would love to get some 9mm phenolic ply, but the only supplier I can find is in the UK. I would settle for 9mm marine ply, but even that seems to elude me... or at least my feeble googling. If all else fails I suppose I can just open up the yellow pages.

-Scott

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
new york