Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 4th, 2011, 08:34 PM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Introducing my self and my D110 #99/500

Hello everyone,

My name is Christian and some of you might know me as DiscoNomad and my 2004 Bonati Grey Discovery the DiscoNomad project. After years of development on my discovery it was time for me to move onto the next project. I have always wanted to build what in my eyes would be the ultimate Defender 110. An opportunity arose and after two red eye flights later I finally pulled the trigger on a fully "nut and bolt" restored D110 offered to me by Copley Motors. The truck is NAS #99/500 and is essentially a better then new example of a 1993 with lots of updates. Essentially it has a galvi frame restoration, 97-98 dash, LED lighting upgrade, updated heated seats, 4.6L engine with R380, Salisbury rear with disk breaks, all panels restored and redone, dual battery setup, spray liner on top and bottom of truck under correct carpet interior, etc, etc, etc. It's bran new.

As it sits today the truck is very nice and stock looking even though I'm not a fan of some of the bolt on stuff the previous owner did. Those spaced out wheels/rims are hideous and thinking about changing them for NAS 110 white steelies on 255 KM2. I love the Rock Ware rear swing out bumper but not a fan of the front style wrap around bumper. I am not even sure what the front bumper is. I literally had only hours to see the car and drive it with before having to grab the next flight home. Anyway its going to have some work done and then make the trip cross county to it's new home in the best coast. More then anything I just wanted to introduce my self to what will certainly become an immense resource to me during the build process of this truck.

For those of you wondering about the DiscoNomad I will be selling it and focusing all of my attention to the Defender. I will be posting a for sale soon. However I may never sell it considering how attached and picky I am about who it should go to.

Anyway I do have a couple questions off the bat about the defender. Where should I source perfect condition original white steelies for the NAS 110? I am not sure I want the WOLF/NATO style for this truck which I really want to keep somewhat original looking. My kind of uneducated direction as of now is telling me to do a 2" OME heavy duty lift and put 33" 255 KM2 on those stealies. I will likely put Ashcroft lockers with I guess 4.11's. The front bumper needs some looking at but I really like the camel trophy front bumper but don't know what lower end its compatible with or if its any good. Everything is just brain storming but I tend to not like to do things twice. The original basket rack I love but isn't very compatible or practical with my Hannibal tent and other rack systems. I am thinking of having ECR or similar make me a tubular rack that is lower profile with a flooring. I am also looking at some kind of a containment for gear the back but would like to be able to retain the use of the jump seats if ever needed.

Anyway thats enough for now...check out the pictures here which suck I know but I was in a hurry to document as much as I could. Soon I will have nomad110.com up and running to document all the fun. Your comments are always welcome and appreciated.

Cheers,
Christian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2011, 09:56 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

The rims are kinda bizarre but I like them. Congrat's on a beautiful 110..

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:20 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

The wheels look like Walker Evans beadlocks... But, I agree they belong on a trail truck, not a 110. If you sell them, I may be interested for my 100" hybrid.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2011, 10:23 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

I can get the wheels but they are crazy money.
Old July 4th, 2011, 11:07 PM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
The wheels look like Walker Evans beadlocks... But, I agree they belong on a trail truck, not a 110. If you sell them, I may be interested for my 100" hybrid.
Hey Wold,

Yes they are and yes I want to get rid of them. I'll let you know as soon as I actually receive the truck. Thanks.

------ Follow up post added July 4th, 2011 08:08 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariResto
I can get the wheels but they are crazy money.
PM sent.
Old July 4th, 2011, 11:23 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

I agree, wheels are weird.
Clean engine and engine bay!
Old July 4th, 2011, 11:45 PM
2yellowlabs
Rob
92 RRC, 99 DII, 06 LR3, 09 LR2

That's the cleanest 110 I've ever seen!

Congrats!

Rob
Old July 5th, 2011, 03:43 AM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Actually the more I see the NATO's the more they grow on me. Should I be concerned that the backspacing is essentially an inch more on the NATO tubeless wheel (5.5") then the NAS D110 Steel Rim (4.5"). I know they are both 16x6.5. I'm I right to say that a larger backspacing would make the wheels sit closer towards the center of the truck and make the truck handle a little more tippy then stock? What is the right thing to do here? Does anyone have the NATO wheels on their D110?

I got this information form an old post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troys View Post
I decided to take matters into my own hands this afternoon after seeing the response to the post. I gathered a group of fellow rover owners to my shop today for a "lunch". Those present included: 1-NAS D110, 1-D1, 1-NAS D90, 1-Used Wolf Rim. This is what I discovered:

Stock D90 Alloys-ANR1689 = 16"x7" with a 5.5" backspacing
Stock D1 Alloys-NTC9976 = 16"x7" (unable to accuratly determine backspacing B/C of tire)
NAS D110 Steel Rim - ANR1534 = 16"x6.5" with a 4.5" backspacing
Wolf (Tubeless) ANR4583 = 16"x6.5" with a 5.5" backspacing
Wolf (Tube) ANR5593 = 16"x6.5" with a 5.5" backspacing
D130 Steel Rims - ANR1634 = 16"x6.5" with a 4.75" backspacing(may have been 4.5")

The Wolf rims and the "D130" Rims seem to be a heavier duty rim, at least heavier than the NAS D110 rims. I am currently running the D130 rims that were purcahsed from ECR and painted. I have recently become fairly familiar with having stuff powder coated and from what I can see, I would not have wheels done.

Thanks for the input. I didn't know the question would get so much attention.

Troy
Love shawnpalmer's truck: http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/DSCF2066.jpg

Thanks,
Christian
Old July 5th, 2011, 08:14 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

This thread is dumb.
Old July 5th, 2011, 08:27 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Well, I had another adjective in mind.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman
This thread is dumb.
Old July 5th, 2011, 03:39 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomaD110 View Post
Actually the more I see the NATO's the more they grow on me. Should I be concerned that the backspacing is essentially an inch more on the NATO tubeless wheel (5.5") then the NAS D110 Steel Rim (4.5"). I know they are both 16x6.5. I'm I right to say that a larger backspacing would make the wheels sit closer towards the center of the truck and make the truck handle a little more tippy then stock? What is the right thing to do here? Does anyone have the NATO wheels on their D110?

I got this information form an old post:

Love shawnpalmer's truck: http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/DSCF2066.jpg

Thanks,
Christian
Personally if it was my truck I would get a set of the original 130 steel wheels. They look the best as they give a very factory look. The wolf wheels are good and might actually be btter and cheaper but whenever I see them on a NAS 110 I think the owner damaged the originals and didn't want to drop the cash on the stock replacements so they went with cheaper wolfs.
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:21 PM
megamatt
Matt Kudlow
95 White

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
This thread is dumb.
Go back to DWEB
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:23 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamatt View Post
Go back to DWEB
Says the guy with three months on the board.
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:04 PM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Personally if it was my truck I would get a set of the original 130 steel wheels. They look the best as they give a very factory look. The wolf wheels are good and might actually be btter and cheaper but whenever I see them on a NAS 110 I think the owner damaged the originals and didn't want to drop the cash on the stock replacements so they went with cheaper wolfs.
Thank you BJF. I appreciate your insight. The more I look around the more I become enamored by the stock look. Keep it simple...

Regards
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:32 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I am also a fan of changing the cage and wheels back. Still stock parts just a different flare. Why are the hinges silver?
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:38 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am also a fan of changing the cage and wheels back. Still stock parts just a different flare. Why are the hinges silver?
you mean black? Black hinges look good, too. Sweet flare.
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:58 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

+2 on D130's...............I wanted to increase track width for stability and didn't want to use spacers so had wheel company do the D130'2 in 8" wide with 4.5" backspacing.........best of BOTH worlds and no rubbing.
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:06 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamatt View Post
Go back to DWEB
Show some mercy, Dweb has been down for the last days
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:11 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho

you mean black? Black hinges look good, too. Sweet flare.
Yeah black

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, d110