Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 11th, 2010, 01:06 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Greayhound will take the bulkhead. Just wrap it in cardboard. It can't get any more damaged.
Yeah, I have to get it there first. You got any RRC stuff?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2010, 01:32 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Yeah, I have to get it there first. You got any RRC stuff?

Yup. Tons of RRC stuff. What are you looking for? Shoot me a PM.

Ron
Old May 11th, 2010, 02:07 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Yew shur do have a PUUUrt-eee mouth

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Do I hear Banjos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Yew shur do have a PUUUrt-eee mouth
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Man I will be shot for even asking

is the Dnepr with a side car? 1 or 2 wd? pics? ( I am hanging my helmet but ...who knows )

no rush, just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Barry, I am not that mindful. I have no idea where I'm going to put it. I have no garage space. I pulled the trigger without thinking. It was "an opportunity" that presented itself. I was literally just surfing Ebay for no real reason and came across it. Didn't really consider it until I noticed it was in Orlando. No shipping fees.

Anyone want to buy an FJ40, a Royal Enfield, or a Dnepr?
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:55 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Man I will be shot for even asking

is the Dnepr with a side car? 1 or 2 wd? pics? ( I am hanging my helmet but ...who knows )

no rush, just curious.
Gustavo, It's in my signature--her name is Svetlana. No sidecar but you can easily attach one. One wheel drive, no side car for 2 WD. I imported it from a guy in the Ukraine who restores these things. He says he bought it from the factory who still had it in a crate for the army. I guess like a knock-down-kit. It was never put into service. I don't know how much of it I believe. He repainted it and replaced all the rubber parts with new ones. I also installed new Pekar-68 carbs on it and electronic points as used on the BMWs.

The pics don't show it until the end but it has the mud shield for the legs, jerry can, shovel, and extra square metal can too. I, of course, removed all the Nazi stuff. I guess he wanted it to look like a German-era motorcycle.

This will never compare to yours.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old May 13th, 2010, 11:00 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Ok so I picked up the Rangie today. The PO had it at the shop to get a new fuel pump put in. Score! She purrs like a kitten. Very smooth, no smoking, no bad smells. On the drive home I noticed a clank in the rear and immediately thought the Boge was on it's last breath. Got underneath and noticed Bilsteins all around except the left rear, it had what looks to be the OEM shock. Weird. Closer look and I noticed the nut was loose. Quick turn of the wrench and the clank is gone.

I spent about an hour under her to see if there were any bad spots. The frame had zero rust. Driver side footwell had a little bit of rust, about the size of 1/2 a dime. Panels were straight except a few dings. Rear liftgate is solid. The tranny shifts smooth and I was cruising at 70 no problem. The steering feels loose and wanders a bit-may need new bushings. Overall very happy with this purchase.

So I got a quick question for anyone who owns a RRC. The manual says to push the diff lock forward to engage. Mine does not go forwards or backwards, only side to side. Am I missing something? And the tranny is very difficult to change gears. It moves, but with a lot of resistance. Feels like someone poured glue in there. Is there an adjustment somewhere?

Old May 13th, 2010, 11:43 PM
evilfij
evilfij

On an 88, diff lock is to the left. Low range is forward. Probably all seized from disuse. Spray PB in there. Not sure on the trans shifter as I have not see that before.
Old May 15th, 2010, 01:55 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Thanks Ron, I gotta check the linkages and see what's going on.

Anyone know if the ECU in this thing is the same as 110s? What is a reasonable price for an ECU?

Old May 15th, 2010, 02:29 PM
evilfij
evilfij

It is an earlier unit. I belive it is a 13CU. I know people have upgraded to 14CUX, but I am not sure how. A used one should be under $50.
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:12 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
It is an earlier unit. I belive it is a 13CU. I know people have upgraded to 14CUX, but I am not sure how. A used one should be under $50.
You must have a good source Ron. I cannot find any less than $90. So I looked under the hood and this is what I see. Wonder why the PO did that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0035.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	27738   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0036.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	439.6 KB
ID:	27739  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	27740  

Old May 18th, 2010, 03:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Probably a bad radiator or headgasket. My 88 puked coolant all the time. BTW I have a NEW unused radiator for that truck and I could use a wreched 1997 bulkhead .

Ron

PS try roverdude or roverguy for the ECU
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Probably a bad radiator or headgasket. My 88 puked coolant all the time. BTW I have a NEW unused radiator for that truck and I could use a wreched 1997 bulkhead .

Ron

PS try roverdude or roverguy for the ECU
Sounds like a good deal to me. Let me check to see if I need a new radiator. How soon do you need the bulkhead? Still have a problem getting it to greyhound. I wonder if it will fit in the back of the Rangie?

What are some other symptoms of a bad head gasket?

Old May 18th, 2010, 06:26 PM
evilfij
evilfij

It will fit in the back of a range rover, might stick out the liftgate in an SWB. No rush.

Bad headgasket: running hot, puking coolant, leaking oil or cooland from the back of the heads, possibly steam cleaned cylinder or two etc.

I will ask around for an early ECU.

Ron
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:47 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Post some updated pics. Looks like a nice truck. I wonder why it had mismatched shocks. I would just change both rear to ensure they both ride the same.
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:41 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
It will fit in the back of a range rover, might stick out the liftgate in an SWB. No rush.

Bad headgasket: running hot, puking coolant, leaking oil or cooland from the back of the heads, possibly steam cleaned cylinder or two etc.

I will ask around for an early ECU.

Ron
Runs cool, no leaks anywhere. Maybe the PO replaced the radiator and just never removed the bottle? Took the bottle off tonight. We'll see on my way to work tomorrow if anything happens.

I'll ask Stephen if he'll help me ship the bulkhead.

------ Follow up post added May 18th, 2010 08:44 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Post some updated pics. Looks like a nice truck. I wonder why it had mismatched shocks. I would just change both rear to ensure they both ride the same.
I plan of doing a complete set with OME springs/shocks and new bushings. Just gotta verify the springs on there now are not OME. I'll post some more pics later. It's exactly as in the advertised pictures, except the paint is a little faded and the headliner is on its way out.

Old May 19th, 2010, 09:19 AM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

My Name is Dendy, and I am addicted to land rovers as well!

At the last second (2am), I almost bid against you for that classic there, and please let me know if you ever want your money out of her ... I am a potential buyer!!

My 89 Classic had a very similar set up 'cept the bottle wasn't a pop bottle, rather a radiator run off bottle from another type of truck.
Turns out that the radiator was clogged. I had it rebuilt. Turns out the veins that run through the OEM radiator are only 1/8 inch in diameter. I had it rebuilt with larger diameter tubing.
It completely cleared up the problem (my truck would overheat going down the interstate, ... but never just around town.)
No more run-over bottle and the truck has never moved up to or over a 1/4 of the temp gauge.

HOWEVER!! The new cooling system was so good, that it blew the heater core (that was ready to go anyway), and when it did, I was going down the interstate and it blew like a cannon! Spewing hot coolant all over the front floors (that was no fun to clean up!) and causing me to come close to killing myself trying to see out of the steam to pull to the shoulder of the interstate without killing me or someone else! So have the heater core checked if you do anything!

All in all, that looks like such a nice truck. Barry should have purchased it!! (shame, shame, shame).

By the way, I am proud to admit my addiction. I have no way to explain it. It is just the way I am!!

Dendy
Old May 19th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I have an 88 RRC. The overflow reservoir is small and mine pukes a little now and then. No blown anything, just does. As for the ECU, I use my 14CUX when I trouble shoot mine (it is indeed a 13CU system) and the 14CUX works fine. I almost just left it in, but I really didn't see a point since my 13CU works just fine.
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:33 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleRover View Post
My Name is Dendy, and I am addicted to land rovers as well!

At the last second (2am), I almost bid against you for that classic there, and please let me know if you ever want your money out of her ... I am a potential buyer!!
You're like the third person that has offered to buy that truck. Good thing you didn't bid, my limit was not set that high. Thanks for the info about the heater core. Will have to take a look at that later. I got too much going on right now with my 110. I promised myself I will just use this as a beater until I am done with the 110. Funny thing is I am under this truck more now since picking it up. I don't know anything about RRC. Looks like a lot of fun though. I am really amped about the condition of the frame and body panels. Interior trim will need some attention.

Drove to work this AM with the bottle removed and no issues. Engine stayed cool and no coolant anywhere.

------ Follow up post added May 19th, 2010 12:35 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
I have an 88 RRC. The overflow reservoir is small and mine pukes a little now and then. No blown anything, just does. As for the ECU, I use my 14CUX when I trouble shoot mine (it is indeed a 13CU system) and the 14CUX works fine. I almost just left it in, but I really didn't see a point since my 13CU works just fine.
Not really sure what ECU I have. Everything seems to be working fine. I just want a back up. Is the 14CUX a direct plug and play? Just in case I find one on ebay. Thanks

Old May 25th, 2010, 04:11 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:

Ron
Ninja,

Talked with Stephen about shipping the bulkhead for you. He said it would be fine. I will be heading over there soon to pick up a new tub for my 110. I have use of his trailer so I can drop off the bulkhead if you want to arrange shipping with him. Just let me know.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat