Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 2nd, 2014, 03:27 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I doubt he makes his own T-shirts either .... I doubt he has the time or inclination to do his own work in house ... why bother if it can be done over seas cheaper? He probably has a couple of dudes that slop the amoral on the tires and fit some accessories.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2014, 03:35 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I'm still confused though. Does that shop do any of their own work yet? I remember some of their first few vehicles were literally just the exact same vehicles that DefendersUK and LandroversUK were selling and I from what I've seen they still are. It's really just a showroom and not a shop from what I've seen in the videos.

http://defendersuk.co.uk/

http://landroversuk.co.uk/

Here's a good example. West Coast Defenders has on their Tumblr account from January 15th, 2013 "Our Defenders -
The D90. Stop Dreaming and Start Driving - Call us at 310-439-9055" Followed by this grouping of photos. Notice the white walls with grey and orange striping.

http://westcoastdefender.tumblr.com/...riving-call-us

Then if you go into landroversuk.co.uk 's website they have this truck for sale with the same backdrop.

http://www.landroversuk.co.uk/defend...-Wagon-TD5-102

http://www.landroversuk.co.uk/vehiclephotos.aspx?id=102

Not trucks that could have entered for the past 16 mos. Guessing the video was shot last year ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 03:43 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I doubt he makes his own T-shirts either .... I doubt he has the time or inclination to do his own work in house ... why bother if it can be done over seas cheaper? He probably has a couple of dudes that slop the amoral on the tires and fit some accessories.
I asked on his FB page if he would show the actual builds of these trucks and he responded that he only sends those to the customer, but that he recently purchased a truck and would show the rebuild.

Josh, I think you're right, he doesn't do his own builds. At least not yet. Basically they're a bunch of press-whores with the same article and pictures over and over again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2014, 03:50 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Heavy on the hype, light on the delivery. Very typical of every smoke-n-mirror bullshit artists I have ever seen.

I see it all the time in the commercial real estate world. Folks hype themselves into some giant "player" only come to find out they are one paycheck away from eating out of a dumpster. Lots of people believe though.

My sense is that he may accomplish a few flips/builds and it will implode because he has no real skilset behind the business model. Eventually it will fall apart.

.....or maybe he's a trustafarian who's daddy funded his "project" in an effort to keep him out of the clubs. THis would be his version of another hipster convincing his parents to fund his "edgy documentary" film. Of course these are all wild speculations on my part, but hey I'm allowed to guess since West Coast Defenders appears to be anything but transparent.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 04:04 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
.....or maybe he's a trustafarian who's daddy funded his "project" in an effort to keep him out of the clubs. THis would be his version of another hipster convincing his parents to fund his "edgy documentary" film. Of course these are all wild speculations on my part, but hey I'm allowed to guess since West Coast Defenders appears to be anything but transparent.
Yep, you're right on about the clubs - here's his personal FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/matthewperlman?fref=ufi

Scroll down for moar alt-boner awesomeness.

Josh, you impressed me on this one, I never would have noticed that striped interior wall
Old May 2nd, 2014, 04:13 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by smob View Post
Yep, you're right on about the clubs - here's his personal FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/matthewperlman?fref=ufi

Scroll down for moar alt-boner awesomeness.

Josh, you impressed me on this one, I never would have noticed that striped interior wall
I don't have a FB account, so I probably cant' access what you can see. However, I can only guess what kind of douchery he's involved with.

He wants to matter, he wants to be important, he wants to create, leave his mark, make his overbearing parents (or soon-to-be father-in-law) proud. I guess his EMO/Hipster nonsense is a better outlet than if he did drugs to mask his feelings of irrelevance.

that's about as much positive spin as I can muster, sorry!
Old May 2nd, 2014, 04:18 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
his mom is pretty hot
Old May 2nd, 2014, 04:26 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Seems like alot of work being that cool.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 04:28 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
He does not hide the fact that the Defenders are refurbished using his "UK team." Who flippen cares?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	482387_10102420597719583_1763996907_n.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	94136  
Old May 2nd, 2014, 04:32 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I thought it's been pretty well established that these types of refurbs/builds (a/k/a Liveridge, BLR, etc.) won't be passing US CBP standards? So, what am I missing? the trucks are restored in the UK by his "team" and then what? I'm not starting a "what's legal/importation" discussion, just wondering where these trucks are actually being built.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 04:33 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Well Land Rovers Uk was the outfit who ripped Neil Steinhagen off big time, truck arrived and Andy the owner stopped responding to emails and calls. I'm betting they got a few in back when you could and now are sucking wind. I can't imagine he can get Ca titles for anything he manages to get through Customs. I'm thinking everything we are seeing is very dated-ie 16 mos ago imports

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old May 2nd, 2014, 04:52 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
He does not hide the fact that the Defenders are refurbished using his "UK team." Who flippen cares?
Reading his website, it says he's the one doing it with his team in LA or UK - he also claims he searches the world for the best Defenders (i.e. Africa, Europe) and brings those over for refurb. In the end, he's just essentially a reseller for Landroversuk and takes orders for them via his website. And that would be fine, honestly, but he's saying way more than that. Examples:

"They started hunting down vintage Defenders around the globe to bring to the USA. Now, that is where a lot of people would stop, but where West Coast Defender just gets rolling.

They take these vintage vehicles and recreate them into up to date rides that fit our new lifestyles. They pack them with comfort, high end entertainment systems, and go through every mechanical point in the vehicle rebuilding, refining, and beautifying. When they get done you have a tough Defender with a touch of class ready to hit the road. These rebuilt wonders sell for around $100,000 with a plan to produce 100 per year."

AND

"Guaranteed import in the US (because our cars are already IN the US)"
Old May 2nd, 2014, 05:10 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 ˇriginalÚ

Registry
I mean we can hate this tool all we want but bravo if he is actually restoring and selling defenders at $100K and actually delivering. Brings up everyone's book value if trust fund kids add it to their must have list.

I hate it as much as the next guy, turning an awesome vehicle into, effectively, an accessory; but if some asshat offered me 3x what my truck is worth I'd fly into LAX, track this guy down, and shake his perfectly manicured hand
Old May 2nd, 2014, 05:31 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
I mean we can hate this tool all we want but bravo if he is actually restoring and selling defenders at $100K and actually delivering. Brings up everyone's book value if trust fund kids add it to their must have list.

I hate it as much as the next guy, turning an awesome vehicle into, effectively, an accessory; but if some asshat offered me 3x what my truck is worth I'd fly into LAX, track this guy down, and shake his perfectly manicured hand
agreed
though I stand by my comment about his adolescent breasts
Old May 2nd, 2014, 05:37 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Old May 2nd, 2014, 06:15 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
agreed
though I stand by my comment about his adolescent breasts
Agreed with both comments. And his emo 13-yo boobies.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 06:20 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 ˇriginalÚ

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Awesome lol
Old May 2nd, 2014, 06:30 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 ˇriginalÚ

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by smob View Post
Agreed with both comments. And his emo 13-yo boobies.
If only he knew that one of the largest communities of defender enthusiasts in the US were dating his floppy moobies...
Old May 2nd, 2014, 07:49 PM
J. Andrew
J. Andrew
95 D90 NAS SW #384

Best. Thread. Ever.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:27 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Ok. After seeing this guy, I have five of my buddies ready to jump ship and start an new import and refurbishment business for purists. These won't be mall runners. They will be trail/around town ready. I will let y'all know when we break ground. Mostly 110's. That is our focus.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat