Intercooler external temp? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 24th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Intercooler external temp?

General question: Does anyone know what kind of temps an intercooler on a defender 300 tdi (or any turbo really) gets to externally? Looking for foam to fill the gap between the rad and the intercooler but want to make sure the foam is up to the job.
Thanks,
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2014, 09:54 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Why would you use foam to block the airflow to the rad? Or is the the 300 tdi side by side setup?
Old July 24th, 2014, 10:24 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I don't mean to question your motives, but like Jason said, why? Trying to get rid of a rattle/vibration? Otherwise, I'd leave it alone, or maybe glue some rubber or something. Anytime I see expandable foam anywhere near an automotive repair, it makes me cringe.

That said, I don't think the IC gets as hot as the radiator. Of course the lower inlet pipe will run hot, but the body of the IC should be less hot than the radiator. Stock t-stat on a 300 is 190 degrees correct? So I'd say that it's gotta withstand that.

Still, I will go on record as humbly suggesting that you reconsider what you're doing....with all due respect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2014, 10:43 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
Why would you use foam to block the airflow to the rad? Or is the the 300 tdi side by side setup?
The factory setup is side by side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
I don't mean to question your motives, but like Jason said, why? Trying to get rid of a rattle/vibration? Otherwise, I'd leave it alone, or maybe glue some rubber or something. Anytime I see expandable foam anywhere near an automotive repair, it makes me cringe.

That said, I don't think the IC gets as hot as the radiator. Of course the lower inlet pipe will run hot, but the body of the IC should be less hot than the radiator. Stock t-stat on a 300 is 190 degrees correct? So I'd say that it's gotta withstand that.

Still, I will go on record as humbly suggesting that you reconsider what you're doing....with all due respect
Any air that is going in-between or around the radiator or intercooler is air that is not going through them. You want as much air flow as possible through both of them . IIRC when I replaced my 300 Tdi radiator, there was foam between the two, but I may be mistaken.
Old July 24th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I see. Good point. Is there that much of an efficiency factor in the systems? (Where max airflow is that important?)
Old July 24th, 2014, 10:51 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
I see. Good point. Is there that much of an efficiency factor in the systems? (Where max airflow is that important?)
Probably not, but people make a big deal about it on V12 Jags, which I have owned a few of. As a side note, most Land Rovers (newer) have foam around the outside of the radiator and other plastic bits to direct air flow through the radiator/condenser, rather than around it.
Old July 24th, 2014, 11:05 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

It's definitely beneficial to have the sides and the gap between them on the outer circumference..sealed up... Think of like sucking air through a straw.. If you have some holes along it the air will be sucked through the path of least resistance.. And that is usually the one after the cooler.. As mentioned... There's a reason all rads have the sides sealed up and close fitting shrouds....driving down the road it is not as important,. But that's not when you need the best efficiency of air flow...I guess the temps would be subject to the ambient temps and how hard the turbo is having to work...I would be inclined to use just about any high density foam and cut to suit..
Old July 24th, 2014, 11:22 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Thanks for all the posts guys. Shayne and Jimmy cleared up what's going on. I have some closed cell Dynamat that says it's rated to 225F laying around. I figured that's pretty close. But I never really knew what an intercooler would see for temps. So that's why I was asking.
Thanks!
Pete

To add, I had my intercooler rebuilt at a local shop and there used to be foam on it. Really crapy looking foam actually. Not because it was old, just seemed real weak.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat