Insuring a restored '83 defender/classic car or truck - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 11th, 2009, 11:09 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier
Follow-up Post:( every vehicle / toy I own is under agreed value , so when something happens there is no need to be listenning to BS as to what the Market is now , or depreciation, etc )
Who do you use for your '95 90?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Thought this was the golden ticket, yet none of these companies indicate anywhere on their websites that they cover autos. Maybe if you are a dealer or a business entity. So far I've been SOL getting anyone to provide agreed value coverage for any of my LR's without them being in a garage. They won't even cover it if something happens in a parking lot or other public place where the vehicle is left unattended. F**k that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier
Atlantic Mutual ( Parent Company )

Balboa Insurance and ACE subsidiaries , all have Agreed Value no limitations on use
Old September 11th, 2009, 05:04 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
What's wrong with USAA? Document what the truck is and save the invoices, so if there is a claim, you can demonstrate the value. I don't like American Collectors personally, and USAA has discontinued their partnership with them.
USAA wouldn't agree to an "agreed amount" policy for me, no matter how hard I tried. They were my first choice, and I was a loyal customer for 15 years.

They basically told me that in the event of a total loss, they would go on blue book value, even if I had documentation indicating a higher value. No way. What do you think they'd give me for an '84 defender, based on their 'blue book'? It would be an order of magnitude less than what I've put into it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2009, 09:17 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd
So maybe try Nationwide.
Scratch Nationwide from the list. They just dropped me when I tried to renew my policy. They said they don't do "agreed amount" policies. I said tell that to the guy who sold me the policy a year ago.

Now what?

Hagerty's website says:

Hagerty does not offer an insurance product for:

• Any vehicles used for camping, off-road or utility-type driving
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have gone through all of this. I had one underwtiter turn the truck down because it had a snorkle. Haggerty turned it down because I wasn't going to keep it in a locked garage (the premium was quite low-bummer). In the end I have been insuring the defender's with Allstate. I ended a 10yr relationship with my insurance broker when his minions couldn't get the trucks insured with the "specialty" carriers and I got it done with a single call to Allstate. I wouldn"t ask for specialty car coverage- ask for "stated value" coverage or "agreed Value" coverage. For these you either have to provide your receipts or an appraisal.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 12th, 2009, 08:54 AM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Thanks Doug. I'll give them a call...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
classic