Insurer recommandations? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 1st, 2013, 05:09 AM
matei72
Mat R
2009 110 XS TDCi "Puma"

Insurer recommandations?

Hi all... I'm in the process of importing an old Defender, still doing some ground work - however ran into an issue with insurers.

Called up State Farm and asked for a quote for insuring a RHD on VIN number, and was quoted about $110 a month for basic liability (and the admonishment that it is a "rolling deathtrap" ha ha), which seems a bit steep. For fully comped they said over $5K a year. Really!?!?! Surely this can't be right?

Perhaps I need to try a different agent..

Any recommandations on companies who'll insure a RHD import on VIN number?

THanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2013, 06:23 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Insurance costs in the US vary widely by state and location.
Where are you going to be living ?
Did they ask you where the steering wheel was?
Is it over 25 years old?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 1st, 2013, 06:35 AM
matei72
Mat R
2009 110 XS TDCi "Puma"

Hi - the truck will be in NY. It is an ex-MOD 110 that I've been driving around for a few years over here.

I did explain to them that it is a RHD. Insurance agent hemmed and hawed, clucked his tounge like I was a little kid getting up to no good.

"Those things are deathtraps on wheels, no modern safety equipment. Driving one of those is suicide".

Come on... it isn't much different to Nissan pickups that I used to own in the late '80s/early '90s when I lived in the US. Not all that different to lots of cars from that era (and earlier). I wonder if they use that ridiculous reasoning with drivers of other marques as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2013, 07:10 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by matei72 View Post
Hi - the truck will be in NY. It is an ex-MOD 110 that I've been driving around for a few years over here.

I did explain to them that it is a RHD. Insurance agent hemmed and hawed, clucked his tounge like I was a little kid getting up to no good.

"Those things are deathtraps on wheels, no modern safety equipment. Driving one of those is suicide".

Come on... it isn't much different to Nissan pickups that I used to own in the late '80s/early '90s when I lived in the US. Not all that different to lots of cars from that era (and earlier). I wonder if they use that ridiculous reasoning with drivers of other marques as well?
This is so true... This is how I feel while driving the Series.

Are going to use it as a daily driver? What year is it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 1st, 2013, 08:22 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Remember Insurance Agents are human also and make mistakes often. I use State Farm fully loaded and that sounds a bit high. Alot of filler information goes into the factoring of your price. And different State Farm agents will serve you with slighty difference.

When it comes down to an actual accident you are in the hands of the adjuster. Save all reciepts, etc...pretend its "convince the judge time" your reward will be a fairer settlement! Good Luck...
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:28 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Try AAA. They've been able to beat anyone else's price whenever I compare. You'll have to join AAA to get their insurance, so add $70 or so per year to whatever they quote (unless you're already a AAA member). I pay $1700 per year for full coverage ($1000 deductible) for my Defender, an '08 Lotus Exige, and a '12 LR4. Each of those cars gets 12,000+ miles per year put on them.
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:46 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Hi all... I'm in the process of importing an old Defender, still doing some ground work - however ran into an issue with insurers.

Called up State Farm and asked for a quote for insuring a RHD on VIN number, and was quoted about $110 a month for basic liability (and the admonishment that it is a "rolling deathtrap" ha ha), which seems a bit steep. For fully comped they said over $5K a year. Really!?!?! Surely this can't be right?

Perhaps I need to try a different agent..

Any recommandations on companies who'll insure a RHD import on VIN number?

THanks!
Well it depends what kind of insurance you want. If you have the most basic and you really F-up your insurance might not have high enough limits.

When shopping insurance you need to cover your ass-ets (or net worth). Homes, banks accounts, retirement funts, etc...
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:02 AM
javelinadave
-
-

I insure my 90 with State Farm. $650ish per year and I wasn't asked a thing other than what was the replacement value.
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:06 AM
matei72
Mat R
2009 110 XS TDCi "Puma"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc.swb View Post
This is so true... This is how I feel while driving the Series.

Are going to use it as a daily driver? What year is it?
Ha ha - no, the recipient (my father) has a modern vehicle that can be used. The 110 is quick enough to just about keep up with modern traffic, it has a 3.5L V8, but it is very noisy... as you can well imagine with no soundproofing and a 4-speed gearbox.
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:14 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Ha ha - no, the recipient (my father) has a modern vehicle that can be used. The 110 is quick enough to just about keep up with modern traffic, it has a 3.5L V8, but it is very noisy... as you can well imagine with no soundproofing and a 4-speed gearbox.
If it's for recreational use (i.e. weekends) see Hagerty.

I use Hagerty for my Series. It has to be 25 years old and cannot be your daily driver.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat