Insurance sucks - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 29th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Insurance sucks

So I get this letter that says that they want to inspect my truck to deturmine the value. I have to go down and have it inspected. I provide my reciepts. Then a month later I get a letter saying that the vehicle is so "highly modified" that they can't deturmine a value. So, instead of having it appraised, they say that the blue book says it is worth $5475 and that is the new value. WTF? I hate these frekin insurance companies. Now I have to go fix all this crap again. My engine is worth more than that!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Damn! $5400??

I know your D90 is "Custom" but I don't know how you have it registered as. You might be able to use specialty insurances companies like Hagerty and the like. Just put a pre-determined value on the vehicle and they may or may not put a cap on your yearly mileage (if they do, they don't check anyway ) but you may end up paying less than regular insurance.

Good luck! Hey, if they insurance company thinks your 90 is only $5400, can I offer you $6K for it?

Old May 29th, 2004, 12:47 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
haha thats pretty funny Glenn. thing with stupid insurance you pay pay pay but when you actually need to make a claim its like pulling teeth and the bastards wont give you shit, then you have to pay more since you made a claim. My parents ahd to up the homeowners deductable a few years ago because there was a hurricane that flooded everything (Floyd) we were lucky and had no problems. but just goes to show that insurance companies are #*%@*$#

sorry to hear they are giving you the shaft on your truck. I dont know much about specialty insurace people for automobils like yours. I could only imagine what it would be like to insure something rare and exotic like a Yenko Camaro or some old Jag or pasta rocket
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Definately call Haggerty or JC Taylor (had VERY good luck with them). They're very used to insuring collector cars and you'll find that the rates really aren't too bad. They operate under the understanding that someone with an esoteric car is going to drive it far more cautiously. My father had one claim against JC Taylor for one of his cars (to the tune of $70k) and they paid without a fuss.

If this doesn't work for you, get an independent appraisal done (I can help with that if you need), and they should be more receptive.

Good luck,

Tony
Old May 29th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Wow, thanks a ton guys. I will look into those options for sure. Are they available in Cali, I noticed you guys are both East Coast? Thanks again! 6k sounds good. (score! I just got this sucker to shell out $600 over blue book.)

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 2nd, 2004, 07:41 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

I use Haggerty for my '70 Datsun Roadster. They go on declared value and the car cannot be a daily driver. For $7k in insurance, it costs me $88/yr.

I'm acquiring a '81 SIII 109 Stage 1, so naturally I checked with Haggerty first. For the declared value, they weren't a whole lot cheaper than Allstate and the killer was, Haggerty says NO OFFROADING.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old June 2nd, 2004, 07:53 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
bastards
Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:04 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

So I called Heggerty, they say they don't insure land rovers??? I told her that other owners had recommended them, no luck. Oh well, I am trying JC Taylor now.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:13 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

That's bizarre. The lady I spoke with gave me a price with the caveat that they'd need to see pictures before insurance can commence.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
insurance