Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 16th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Insurance Prices across States

I know this comes up every so often and I came across this link from MSN, so I figure I'd post it here. Go figure, the state that I live in has the highest Insurance Rates in the country. I pay $4200/yr for both the D90 and the D1.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/...car/P88635.asp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2004, 05:27 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Holy shit I am glad I live in North Carolina
Old July 16th, 2004, 06:17 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Glen, thats high. who do you use? I only pay $2100 for a 2001 bmw 330 and 2002 gmc envoy

Randy
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
I know Randy...

I'm with Liberty Mutual. Both my wife and I have no points, both 32 yrs old and work within Bergen County. The only thing is I have a minor fender bender back in 2002 that involved my reciever shackle in the D1 and a Toyota Camry.

I am seriously considering switching one of them to liability only, or both - so I have room in the budget for more toys...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 18th, 2004, 01:44 AM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Guinto
I'm with Liberty Mutual. Both my wife and I have no points, both 32 yrs old and work within Bergen County. The only thing is I have a minor fender bender back in 2002 that involved my receiver shackle in the D1 and a Toyota Camry.

I am seriously considering switching one of them to liability only, or both - so I have room in the budget for more toys...
Liberty Mutual! Damn crooks. There's nothing worse then an insurance salesman and I should know! Both my parents are Insurance sales-"people." Damn parents.

Anyway, enough with my crippling emotional issues, itís a bit off topic, but I changed my deductible to a grand to lower my premiums when I first bought the D90. Basically because I was so pissed off about the rating they slapped on the D90, but that very day BAM! This black ice jumped up and tossed the D90 into a guard rail, which fortunately was there otherwise I would have dumped myself and my buddy into the "drink" about 300 ft down. Rotten luck if there ever was.

Seriously, since I've owned the D90 and booth our 03" Disco I've received one speeding ticket (in my buddies Toyota) 75 in a 65, rearranged this Ladies Benz trunk space, and as mentioned above kissed the guard rail with the D90. We pay about $2300/yr for both. What does this mean? Basically, you suck Glenn! Mostly because you never sent me those decals, but you should move the family out west where insurance is low and the off roading is plentiful!!!!

DJ
Old July 18th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Geez! I pay about $2400/year for an 04 F-150, 04 Wrangler, and the 97 D-90 (now sold), and this is with a $500 deductible. I would try getting quotes from every other place I could.
Old July 19th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Glen,

$4200 a year?! I hope the wife doesn't have a 3rd offense DWI she forgot to mention. NJ may just be high, but check your deductibles. One trick you can do is compare the liability rate with the collision. Rather than setting both at, say, $300, set your liabililty at $500 and collision at $100. In an accident you are still out $600 total, for your vehicle and the person you hit. However, many insurance companies charge more for liability than collision coverage.
Old July 19th, 2004, 12:14 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I don't know how helpul this is going to be for anyone, but I have Mercury Insurance here in California. I have very high limits and 500 deductable. We have a 2002 Passat, 1994 Geo Prism (I know, pimp-style), and the Defender. We pay $1200 a year. Now, the truck is only listed as a value of $5000 which is a hard core joke but I have kinda covered myself on that with a professional appraisal. The company is not that hard to deal with. We both have perfect records.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
... Basically, you suck Glenn! Mostly because you never sent me those decals, but you should move the family out west where insurance is low and the off roading is plentiful!!!!

DJ
Holy $h!t.....dude, sorry.... They will be on the mail today....

Man, just looking at those west coast figures makes me want to move right now. Wanna give me a secured, high-paying job out there DJ? I'll move in a heartbeat. There's a D90 owner who used to be from around here and he moved out west to LA, I think he's name is Paul....man do I envy that bastard...

Old July 19th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well, I pay about 1800 a year for just the 90 and a $250 deductible. I also have 5 or 6 speeding tickets and a few accidents to boot; it just dropped from $2200 this year when I became 25. If I didn't have all the tickets I would be paying about $1200. You need a better insurance company. I have been told if you are a safe driver that it is cheaper to go with a smaller insurance company. Regardless I think it is time to shop around Glenn.
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Wow, I am paying considerably less than you Glen. Tick over 1200 for the D-90 and have a rather seedy record to boot. DUI 14 (no Conviction thank god for court supervision) years ago and a few tickets this year. I use State farm for the house and car and have great coverage on both. Haven't been in trouble since this year, but that is high.

Still wanna move out west though...

EwS
Old July 19th, 2004, 12:02 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Holly cow, that's a lot of money for 2 LR's. Let's see, I have a crappy record and I am 27 single with 4 cars and I paid less than you with highest liability and lowest deductible. I guess it's time to find someone else my friend
Old July 19th, 2004, 12:38 PM
c2sox
Al Cruz
93 110 #428 and 01 Disco SD7

Hey Glenn,

Check out American Express, their the best on the price by far! My policy covers both my wife and I and I've got one accident on my record (freakin black ice as well). I have 5 cars insured with full coverage with a deductible of $250 and I pay just over $3K per year.

89 Honda Civic
89 Toyota Pickup
93 110
01 D2
03 XC90

Just curious is car insurance generally pretty expensive on the east coast or is just in New Jersey? The family and I were considering a moving to Jacksonville, Florida recently but we decided against it for the moment.

Al
Old July 19th, 2004, 01:06 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Guinto
Holy $h!t.....dude, sorry.... They will be on the mail today....
That's ok. I was going to put the decals on a bunch of Geo Metro's anyway.

Quote:
Man, just looking at those west coast figures makes me want to move right now. Wanna give me a secured, high-paying job out there DJ?
SURE! I need someone to clean the bird crap of the D90 everyday. How about 5$ for every pound you scoop up? I know itís not exactly a dream job, but hey birds are always guaranteed to dump on the Defender and you can't beat that Job Security!!

DJ
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Sure, come out west and save $2000 on insurance and pay $800,000 for a 3 bedroom house. Oh and 2% tax on that house. I would trade the insurance cost any day!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, insurance