Insurance options for my '95 D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 9th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Zooraya
Bani
1995 NAS D90

Insurance options for my '95 D90

I've read through the posts of people trying to get their ROW trucks insured for a stated value and am now faced with a similar dilemma. I need to get my D90 with a salvage title (it was in a flood) insured. The good news is that I've been with AAA for years and adding my truck to my policy with full coverage ended up costing me $289 per year.

The bad news is that they stated that because it is a salvage truck that they would only pay out $.08 on the dollar of what it is worth. The worst part of it is that they would not tell me what they think it is worth and they wouldn't accept an appraisal either.

I ended up putting a lot more $ into this project than I probably should have but in the end I got an awesome truck with just about every vital part replaced. It's important to note that most of the stuff that needed replacing was due to normal wear and tear, ie clutch, plugs, brakes, radiator, etc. I can't think of anything that needed replacing due to it being in water.

When I bought the truck I figure these rigs wade through rivers and that a salvage title from water damage is an oxymoron. And for the most part I was right. You would be hard pressed to find a difference between my D90 and another '95 ST with similar mileage without a salvaged title.

In any case, I'm at a point where I need to find an insurance agency that will insure it for something more than $4500. I hate to let a piece of paper dictate my trucks "worth" but it is what it is I guess. I need to get it appraised I suppose.

Anyone else have any suggestions on what my next step should be? Some of the threads regarding insurance agencies are few years old and somewhat inconclusive to boot.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Which insurance companies have you worked with that let you drive your truck the way it was intended to be used (camping, fishing, boating, etc) and allow you to come to an agreed upon stated value?

What do you think a fair price value be for a 95 D90 with a salvage title?

Thanks again to everyone on the forum for your help over the past five months. I literally could not have gotten to this point without your help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2013, 11:09 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Can you get a reconstructed title? Would that help?

If it makes you feel better (or worse) I carry liability only as I figure a wrecked d90 title and the parts short of a burn are worth close to what the truck as a going concern is worth and I would never want my truck to get a salvage title from a wreck.
Old October 9th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Zooraya
Bani
1995 NAS D90

Unfortunately, from what I know, California doesn't provide reconstructed titles. I can see that parting it out would help recoup some of the costs in the event of a wreck, but another major concern of mine is theft. It's not the most sophisticated machine to start and given it's rarity, I imagine it would be a prime target for car thieves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2013, 08:42 AM
COJ142
Michael Giroux
1985 Defender 110 CSW RHD

Insurance

I'm watching this post w interest, too. We have cars getting boosted all the time in our neighborhood and I'm concerned with the ACV terms of our current auto insurance for my ROW.
Old October 14th, 2013, 02:31 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by COJ142 View Post
I'm watching this post w interest, too. We have cars getting boosted all the time in our neighborhood and I'm concerned with the ACV terms of our current auto insurance for my ROW.
The steering wheel on the wrong side, it being standard are probably your theft deterent. But if you are worried, put a fuel pump kill switch.
Old October 14th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Stick shifts slow theives

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 14th, 2013, 02:58 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Put the TC in neutral.
Old October 14th, 2013, 03:43 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooraya View Post
Unfortunately, from what I know, California doesn't provide reconstructed titles. I can see that parting it out would help recoup some of the costs in the event of a wreck, but another major concern of mine is theft. It's not the most sophisticated machine to start and given it's rarity, I imagine it would be a prime target for car thieves.
You've been watching too much gone in 60 seconds .... I've not heard of a single defender being stolen in the US in the 5 years I've owned
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old October 14th, 2013, 03:52 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
You've been watching too much gone in 60 seconds .... I've not heard of a single defender being stolen in the US in the 5 years I've owned
x2. I frequently leave my truck everywhere, many times with the keys in it . Who would steal these pieces of crap? To sell it to whom? One of us monkeys on the D-90 forum?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old October 14th, 2013, 03:58 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
x2. I frequently leave my truck everywhere, many times with the keys in it . Who would steal these pieces of crap? To sell it to whom? One of us monkeys on the D-90 forum?
I can think of at least one

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=44229
Old October 15th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Zooraya
Bani
1995 NAS D90

haha, maybe I have watched too much Gone in 60 Seconds to worry about theft. But I still do care about protecting my investment in case some unfortunate event causes it to be counted as a total loss.

Any suggestions on insurance providers? Or what you think the appraised value for this truck would be?
Old October 15th, 2013, 06:54 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
The real issue is if they will insure to an agreed value. I'm still looking...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, 95, d90, insurance